E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Okay I need Help with my E60 Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, i've had my 20 inch Kaotik rims for some time now and i frankly cannot stand the slight vibration that i have been getting from these rims for the past 5 months . I thought that it will be a trade off between the ride quality and the looks but i just can't handle the ride quality anymore.

I also use hub-rings to try to center the rims on the car but they are plastic and i don't know if they are the perfect size for the rim and the car. I feel that the rims are not sitting perfectly on the center of the hub. Does anyone know the size of the hub rings I need to get for the E60 (inside diameter and outside diameter) or what is the best way to go about this to fix this small vibration. I want to keep these rims and don't want to change them to official BMW rims.

any suggestions guys and gals???? <_<

p.s. - Hamann: where did you get your rims put on from and do you have hub rings on yours??
Old 05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Hate to say it, but those rims have to go. Get something form a BMW related tuner, or something that has proper weighting, offset, etc. Had same problem on an e36 325i. Rims looked great, but if the balance wasnt perfect there was nearly always some vibration.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

dude im in the same position as you are... nah I don't have hub rings but I do have vibration to...I recently added wheel spacers to the rears as before only had them in the front... helped a little but still vibrating...help both of us please!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 07:42 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 22 2005, 07:49 PM
Okay, i've had my 20 inch Kaotik rims for some time now and i frankly cannot stand the slight vibration that i have been getting from these rims for the past 5 months? .? I thought that it will be a trade off between the ride quality and the looks but i just can't handle the ride quality anymore.

I also use hub-rings to try to center the rims on the car but they are plastic and i don't know if they are the perfect size for the rim and the car.? I feel that the rims are not sitting perfectly on the center of the hub.? Does anyone know the size of the hub rings I need to get for the E60 (inside diameter and outside diameter) or what is the best way to go about this to fix this small vibration.? I want to keep these rims and don't want to change them to official BMW rims.

any suggestions guys and gals????? <_<

p.s. - Hamann: where did you get your rims put on from and do you have hub rings on yours??
[snapback]132051[/snapback]
Where is the vibration, i.e. do you feel it in the seats or is it the steering wheel that vibrates. If it is the wheel then does it vibrate all the time, at certain speeds or only while moving the wheel off-center.

The reason I ask is that it may not be the rims/wheels that is causing the vibration.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well for me me its only at certain speeds usually 40MPH and above.. but its not always constant at those speeds... the vibration varies from jsut steering wheel to both steering wheel and seats
Old 05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='May 22 2005, 10:44 PM
Well for me me its only at certain speeds usually 40MPH and above.. but its not always constant at those speeds... the vibration varies from jsut steering wheel to both steering wheel and seats
[snapback]132085[/snapback]
Then it most likely is NOT the wheels. You have the same problem as mine. I am taking mine in tomorrow to have it checked. But I ahve now had this problem with two 745LIs and now on this 545. The 745 had tyres replaced and rims replaced but the vib in the seats was not fixed.

I have determined that it is NOT the engine/mounts. The only thing I am thinking now is the brake rotors, the driveshaft, propshaft or (maybe) the flywheel (the last two I think are most unlikely because the vibration in the seats comes through even when the car is in neutral). I am leaning most towards the rotors and then the driveshaft. Will let you know tomorrow what I find out.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributors

no personally I believe it is the rims becuase when i put my stock wheels on I don't get the vibration...
Old 05-22-2005, 08:16 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='May 22 2005, 11:03 PM
no personally I believe it is the rims becuase when i put my stock wheels on I don't get the vibration...
[snapback]132092[/snapback]
Yours might be the rims then. I know mine is not because I have had them replaced along with the tires and still not fixed. Mine only comes through the seats (the steering wheel does not vibrate at all) and happens between 65 and 85 mph.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='May 22 2005, 09:44 PM
[snapback]132085[/snapback]
Ditto!

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='May 22 2005, 10:03 PM
[snapback]132092[/snapback]
and Ditto!

I put my stock rims back on and the vibration was gone. But when the aftermarket rims go back on, the vibration reappears. I'm guessing there are only a certain type of rims that you can put on the e60. But in any case, the hub rings are suppose to fix the vibration completely. I don't know if I have the correct size. Anyways, still looking for some suggestions for me and Hamann.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

The aftermarket wheels may have been out of balance.

Quick Reply: Okay I need Help with my E60 Vibration