E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ok to take spare wheel out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Just wondering. Is it safe to save a few pounds by taking my spare tire out? I have runflats and do not need them. A friend of mine discouraged me fom doing so because he believed that BMW designed the spare tire to play a role in crash protection....is this true???
Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 5 2005, 12:06 AM
Just wondering. Is it safe to save a few pounds by taking my spare tire out? I have runflats and do not need them. A friend of mine discouraged me fom doing so because he believed that BMW designed the spare tire to play a role in crash protection....is this true???
[snapback]179416[/snapback]
Not sure what proportion of E60 drivers running with run-flats have a spare tyre.
I had one on my last E60 with the run-flats just in case the tyre sidewall was damaged beyond being able to drive on it. It could be that old habits die hard and felt compromised if I drove around with no spare.

Also, I doubt very much that the spare wheel took any part in the safety design for crash testing. They were planing on going with run-flats and no spare as standard.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:13 PM
[quote name='Jeffs' date='Oct 5 2005, 12:06 AM']Just wondering. Is it safe to save a few pounds by taking my spare tire out? I have runflats and do not need them. A friend of mine discouraged me fom doing so because he believed that BMW designed the spare tire to play a role in crash protection....is this true???
Not sure what proportion of E60 drivers running with run-flats have a spare tyre.
I had one on my last E60 with the run-flats just in case the tyre sidewall was damaged beyond being able to drive on it. It could be that old habits die hard and felt compromised if I drove around with no spare.

Also, I doubt very much that the spare wheel took any part in the safety design for crash testing. They were planing on going with run-flats and no spare as standard.

[snapback]179422[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just realised few weeks ago that i havnt had the spare tyre. I called BMW and they informed it is an option in UK for the spare tyre. Now i am runing with non run-flats without spare tyres.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I was just going to say... Some countries dont even have spares for the E60... so it cant really be crash design related too much. Its more of a "look, see how nice we are we give you a donut with your car even with run flats..."
Old 10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:06 PM
I took mine out. It, plus the jack, weight about 37 lbs. Taking it out is part of my weight-saving plan. My stlye 101's and PS2s, being installed Thursday, will save about 125 sprung-weight equivalent lbs. = about 12.5 flywheel equivalent HP. You might enjoy this thread. I know nothing about the safety issue. But, I am leaving my spare out anyway. Since I won't have run flats, I bought the BMW mobility kit--air pump and plug-hole juice. But, on the road, I'll put the original wheels/tires back on and put the spare/jack back in. Fortunately, I don't go on too many road trips.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

The norm is "NO SPARE" for cars with run-flats. It is therefore 100% not included into the safety as[ect.

However, if you're driving without run flats, be sure to check your tyres regularly. You don't want to be caught out with a puncture and no spare tyre to change.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Here in HK only models with non RF come with a dounut. Not even a full size spare like they use to, BMW is getting cheap here :thumbsdown: and they blame it all on weight saving.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Thanks guys...
The fact that BMW's with runflats sometimes comes with no spares shows that safety has nothing to do with the spare tire.....so i am NOT going to listen to my friend and take them out.....Donv....i like your calculations.....dont see anything wrong....im gonna put exhaust soon to save more weight....im taking your lead my man....hahahahahha
Old 10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys...
The fact that BMW's with runflats sometimes comes with no spares shows that safety has nothing to do with the spare tire.....so i am NOT going to listen to my friend and take them out.....Donv....i like your calculations.....dont see anything wrong....im gonna put exhaust soon to save more weight....im taking your lead my man....hahahahahha
[snapback]179607[/snapback]
Excelent. Keep us posted as you progress with your mods. ~{:^)
Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Folks,

So has anyone found a "spare tire storage container"?
Without the spare tire this space could be used to store stuff. I thought I once saw a storage bin that you could drop into the spare tire area?

-Tony

Quick Reply: ok to take spare wheel out?