E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM 2-part exhaust muffler only on 545 or 550?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2005 E60 545iA (Delivered 10th September 2005), Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Maple wood Sycamore Anthracite. Mods done: M-Kit, ACS racing type IV 9.0JX20" and 10.0JX20" on Michelin PS2 front 255/30/20 and rear 295/25/20. Mods to come: ACS suspension set, ACS trunk spoiler, ACS roof spoiler, ACS alu foot pedals, ACS exhaust, M5 trunk finisher, M5 Mirror or ACS Mirror.

After I took delivery of my car (545i), I noticed this interesting exhaust set-up. I always wondered if this is only on the V8s. Do other e60 have single muffler? Anyway, I was planning to change to AC Schnitzer sports exhaust. But seeing this interesting set-up on my car makes me double think... am I messing up good stuff here? But I have heard AC Schnitzer exhaust is much light than this original 2 part set-up. Any comments?
OEM 2-part exhaust muffler only on 545 or 550?-dscf1028a.jpg
By the way, I cannot choose any other aftermarket brand because BMW Hong Kong is the distributor of AC Schnitzer parts here. So, only OEM or ACS products installed by the dealer are covered by the warranty. Other products installed elsewhere runs the risk of a void warranty.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by AhJai' post='204765' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:06 AM
After I took delivery of my car (545i), I noticed this interesting exhaust set-up. I always wondered if this is only on the V8s. Do other e60 have single muffler? Anyway, I was planning to change to AC Schnitzer sports exhaust. But seeing this interesting set-up on my car makes me double think... am I messing up good stuff here? But I have heard AC Schnitzer exhaust is much light than this original 2 part set-up. Any comments?
Attachment 13038
By the way, I cannot choose any other aftermarket brand because BMW Hong Kong is the distributor of AC Schnitzer parts here. So, only OEM or ACS products installed by the dealer are covered by the warranty. Other products installed elsewhere runs the risk of a void warranty.
The stock setup is good - but heavy and quite. With the quite, you get less flow. So, going to a new muffler setup will increase you sound and flow (slighlty).

I would not worry about having to do the ACS muffler if you prefer another choice, which there are many. The only warranty that would be voided, I would think, is for the muffler - and who cares about that.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AhJai' post='204765' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:06 PM
I replaced my stock muffler with a B&B, and I don't remember the stock one looking just like yours. I'll look later. After-market mufflers are said to save about 30 lbs. At most RPMS they will sound very good. But, at some you may get some resonance. They will add a few HP and, of course, usually will be much louder than stock.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by AhJai' post='204765' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:06 AM

Don't know about other E60 models, but my 545i has the 2 mufflers. There's a valve in one of them, so that when idling or at low RPMs the sound level is lower, but when you get on it, the flap for the second muffler opens and increases the exhaust note.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='204775' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:27 PM
Don't know about other E60 models, but my 545i has the 2 mufflers. There's a valve in one of them, so that when idling or at low RPMs the sound level is lower, but when you get on it, the flap for the second muffler opens and increases the exhaust note.
Are you also saying that your muffler doesn't look like his? Just clarifying; I'd rather not get my ladder out to climb up to see my muffler.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='204769
Attachment 13038
The stock setup is good - but heavy and quite. With the quite, you get less flow. So, going to a new muffler setup will increase you sound and flow (slighlty).

I would not worry about having to do the ACS muffler if you prefer another choice, which there are many. The only warranty that would be voided, I would think, is for the muffler - and who cares about that.
[/quote]

Mine looks exactly like that. Except I don't have the ///M aero kit. I have the two mufflers and thanks to Stream I understand the setup better.

DonV you had to have the same setup. With the switch to a new exahust system the replacement of your mufflers might have happened. I am unsure because I have never had a replacement done.

I actually like the quiet feel and sound of the stock muffler system. I believe it is somewhat stealthy. Leaves people guessing from the side view of the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by vnod' post='204777
Are you also saying that your muffler doesn't look like his? Just clarifying; I'd rather not get my ladder out to climb up to see my muffler.
[/quote]

No--my muffler(s) do look like that!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' post='204847
Originally Posted by stream' post='204775' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:27 PM
[/quote]Thanks. OK, tomorrow it is the ladder. Darn.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My muffler and many other US E60 i have seen (including545s) have a valve on the right muffler. I saw some memebers have forced the valved open amking the car sound slighty louder which I like as I did that mod. Also I was weighting the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust, and since there is no inateke replacement for the E60 yest then the benefits of the exhaust are very minimal (3 to5 hp or so) which is unnoticeable and in WOT. Also reducing the weight of 30lbs may help a bit on acceleration but will harm handling as the v8s are prone to heavy on the nose and have understeering. Actually I was thinking on adding a full spare to have a more balanced car.. bbut for now I'm happy as it is. Plenty of powere, 2500miles and have not found the need to red line the car yet
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vnod' post='204914
Originally Posted by vnod' post='204777' date='Nov 29 2005, 09:29 AM
[quote name='stream' post='204775' date='Nov 29 2005, 12:27 PM']
[/quote]Thanks. OK, tomorrow it is the ladder. Darn.
[/quote]

No need to get the ladder out. If you have an E60 545i (which you do!) then your stock exhaust had 2 mufflers, like the pic above, and the line drawing I posted from realoem.com.

Quick Reply: OEM 2-part exhaust muffler only on 545 or 550?