E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

oe tuning obd2 flash

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

the more you read the more consistencies you will read about with different companies (on various car forums). Reading thru/between all the fan boy posts and propaganda, you'll come to find which tuning company bests suits your wants and needs...GL with your research and please keep us posted on what you decide...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Monaco Blue 535i Sport/Premium Package

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
the more you read the more consistencies you will read about with different companies (on various car forums). Reading thru/between all the fan boy posts and propaganda, you'll come to find which tuning company bests suits your wants and needs...GL with your research and please keep us posted on what you decide...
well said. my main concern right now is how this will effect my warranty. can anyone weigh in on this? i also have a couple of mods that i need to get taken care of before i drop more dough.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by sebash
well said. my main concern right now is how this will effect my warranty. can anyone weigh in on this? i also have a couple of mods that i need to get taken care of before i drop more dough.
earlier software versions do not have tuner detection pre 29.2 version (you'd have to scan your car to find out.) If your e60 is pre 3/2008 build and has never been updated/flashed by your dealer there is a good chance you have pre 29.2 software.

If you have post 29.2 you most likely have tuner detection software. That being said, you can purchase a hand held obd scanner which allows you to delete any tuner codes that could void your warranty prior to bringing your car in for service. Most flashes are marketed as being "invisible" (note I said flashes not piggybacks). A BT scan tool or the BMW scan tool is pretty inexpensive and for peace of mind sake is a good investment if you are going to install a flash or piggyback.

BT scanner: http://www.burgertun...om/scanner.html

BMS scanner: http://burgertuning....ol_for_BMW.html

again, GL with your decision...

not sure if GIAC ever released their hand held switcher which would allow you to swtich from tune to stock maps..but I think ess also offers a device like that also...I'm not sure if either also offer code deletion, but that would be great if they did....
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
earlier software versions do not have tuner detection pre 29.2 version (you'd have to scan your car to find out.) If your e60 is pre 3/2008 build and has never been updated/flashed by your dealer there is a good chance you have pre 29.2 software.

If you have post 29.2 you most likely have tuner detection software. That being said, you can purchase a hand held obd scanner which allows you to delete any tuner codes that could void your warranty prior to bringing your car in for service. Most flashes are marketed as being "invisible" (note I said flashes not piggybacks). A BT scan tool or the BMW scan tool is pretty inexpensive and for peace of mind sake is a good investment if you are going to install a flash or piggyback.

BT scanner: http://www.burgertun...om/scanner.html

BMS scanner: http://burgertuning....ol_for_BMW.html

again, GL with your decision...

not sure if GIAC ever released their hand held switcher which would allow you to swtich from tune to stock maps..but I think ess also offers a device like that also...I'm not sure if either also offer code deletion, but that would be great if they did....

the bummer with all this is that after i flash it back to stock then i have to bring it to the tuner again... i've been told that "some" dealerships might be okay with this mod. i read that on a tuners site. i believe it was singh autosport that claimed that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

the bummer with all this is that after i flash it back to stock then i have to bring it to the tuner again... i've been told that "some" dealerships might be okay with this mod. i read that on a tuners site. i believe it was singh autosport that claimed that.
which is why a hand held flasher like ess and/or giac would be your best bet, so you can switch to stock maps when you go in for service, they reload your flash when you get it back. again, most will promote their flashes as invisible, but why take a chance.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

glad you liked the Singh tune!

Originally Posted by jg525i
have you read reviews for oe tuning?? i wouldn't recommend going to them coz of some issues they had recently..
i just did a tune last week, took out my bms powerbox as well.. nothing to aggressive about 18-20hp..but for your car it will gain about 60-70 hp...
did it through this low key tuners here in LA
check his website out: singh autosport
really happy with them and pm me if you have any other further questions
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by radzM
i'm thinking of going this direction too...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

In my own experience, Jags is a straight up guy no flashy, BS advertisement. I've been running his tune for about 2 years now and never had a single problem. I really felt the gain when the dealer had to reflash my ECU back to stock because of a recall. I felt like I lost about 20-30 hp and half of the fun driving the car.

Good luck with your decision!

i'm thinking of going this direction too...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by radzM
very happy, did it thru vince shop at eurorev, and jags did the ecu tune
you are right no BS just straight up work
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Flash tune wise I like Cobb . It cost more but you get a bit more. First you do it yourself , you can read codes. It's easy to update to new maps cuz theyre always working on getting it better. And it has resale value. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: oe tuning obd2 flash