E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Not getting rims scratched when getting new tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to replace my runflats but want to make certain that the rims don't get scratched when the new tires are put on. Is it just a question of taking it to a reputable tire shop and emphasizing to be careful, or are there things they can do to prevent the rims from getting scratched? Can they put the tire on from the inner part of the wheel?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My $0.02.

The style 124s, which I assume you have, are front mount wheels - the tires are mounted from the front. Runflats are very hard to get on and off of them. So, you need a shop with the best Hunter equipment and who is good with run-flats.

I had a shop repair a run-flat flat for me and trashed the wheel and had to replace it.

I've used several local shops, and the bottom line for me is, at this point, I only use Dinan. The Mountain View shop is about 45 minutes from me, but the road force balance the tires, are competitively priced, and do OUTSTANDING work. All they do is BMW tuning and performance mods, so they're used to obsessive owners and working on BMWs all day long.

It's worth the trip, as far as I'm concerned.

If you use anyone else, have the wheels clean when you arrive, have them do a walkaround, and get them to put "No damage" on the work-order, so there's no arguing when they scratch the wheels - been down that road, and unless they agree the wheels are perfect on the way in, it's a battle.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by John W' date='Mar 19 2005, 12:53 PM
My $0.02.

The style 124s, which I assume you have, are front mount wheels - the tires are mounted from the front.? Runflats are very hard to get on and off of them.? So, you need a shop with the best Hunter equipment and who is good with run-flats.?

I had a shop repair a run-flat flat for me and trashed the wheel and had to replace it.

I've used several local shops, and the bottom line for me is, at this point, I only use Dinan.? The Mountain View shop is about 45 minutes from me, but the road force balance the tires, are competitively priced, and do OUTSTANDING work.? All they do is BMW tuning and performance mods, so they're used to obsessive owners and working on BMWs all day long.?

It's worth the trip, as far as I'm concerned.

If you use anyone else, have the wheels clean when you arrive, have them do a walkaround, and get them to put "No damage" on the work-order, so there's no arguing when they scratch the wheels - been down that road, and unless they agree the wheels are perfect on the way in, it's a battle.
[snapback]103780[/snapback]
Absolutely agree - the runflats are a bear to remove - it will take 2 people to do it, and don't be surprised to pay $50 each corner for dismounting, mounting and balancing. I only use one shop in town for all my tire/wheel work. They specialize in racing, and I know the people. If you don't know the people, do as suggested, and get a walkaround and verification of no damage.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:55 PM
RAI
Members

Ditto. The runflats are indeed hard as hell to remove, often requiring 2 people to do it. You'll need to pick the absolute best shop you can find to have the darn things removed without scraping your rims. I had mine removed with no damage whatsoever, but I had it done by the most expensive shop around. This is definitely NOT the time to try to save money!