E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, thanks to LBimmer for finding these.

Since I was relatively local to the seller, I dropped by today at their warehouse to pick up a set of the "tinted" style to test for the rest of the forum.

Exterior:
The tail lights themselves are decent quality considering they are made in Taiwan. They weigh about the same weight as the OEM Hella units and the the build is pretty solid.

Fit:
Installation is a simple swap with no strenuous deduction, splicing, soldering etc. When actually fitted onto the car itself, the lights are a pretty close fit to OEM, though its not perfect perfect.

Wiring:
None needed. Just swap 3 out of your 4 OEM bulbs are you are set.

Errors:
None as of yet.

Questions from the peanut gallery:

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1069973
thank you.

after this i dont think i will be getting the smoked. any way of shutting off the lights behind the bars?
Unfortunately there is no way, as of now, that the lights behind the bars can be shut off.

More to be added..

Pictures:
Driver's side with headlights/taillights on

Passenger side with headlights/taillights on

Both lights installed, with lights on in dark
Notice that the passenger side looks very similar to the LCI with the bars, but the drivers side looks closer to the pre-LCI's

Orange LED blinkers

Additional pictures to come as they are uploaded.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I don't think I'll be getting these, the lights behind the bars is a deal breaker, and it doesn't look like the bars look like OEM
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

i just wish the bars would be more in contrast

as for errors, did you look on idrive screen: "check control messages"? that's were the errors are shown if any

so far, they do look nicer then pre-lci but not as nice as lci. kind of like hybrid
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1069999' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:24 AM
I don't think I'll be getting these, the lights behind the bars is a deal breaker, and it doesn't look like the bars look like OEM
i feel the same way as you here. the light behind the bars is a deal breaker. Could you remove that light behind the bars and put a resistor to not get errors? Damn....i was really hoping these wouldnt have the light behind the bar. There has to be a way to get ride of that light. One of the bulbs has to be for the leds and one has to be for the back lighting, correct?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1069999' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:24 AM
+1 Wish they looked more like the OEM LCI
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1070013' date='Dec 7 2009, 10:41 PM
i feel the same way as you here. the light behind the bars is a deal breaker. Could you remove that light behind the bars and put a resistor to not get errors? Damn....i was really hoping these wouldnt have the light behind the bar. There has to be a way to get ride of that light. One of the bulbs has to be for the leds and one has to be for the back lighting, correct?

I actually tried removing both bulbs in the "background" to see how bright the bars are. They're ok.. not as vibrant as the OEM LCI's. I think the problem is that the LED's on the sides of the bars are just not that strong!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

As a quick summary, the lights themselves are pretty good quality for the price but I think overall people may tend to be turned off on the fact that the bars are not lit as much as they would like due to the 2 bulbs in the background that stay on continuously.

As someone had mentioned in the original thread, these are good as hybrid lights between the pre-LCI and LCI's. These would be an interesting project for someone to play around with and rewire in order to better simulate the LCI look and functionality.

I have yet to drive with the lights and see if they cause any unforseen problems.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1070033' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:05 AM
As a quick summary, the lights themselves are pretty good quality for the price but I think overall people may tend to be turned off on the fact that the bars are not lit as much as they would like due to the 2 bulbs in the background that stay on continuously.

As someone had mentioned in the original thread, these are good as hybrid lights between the pre-LCI and LCI's. These would be an interesting project for someone to play around with and rewire in order to better simulate the LCI look and functionality.

I have yet to drive with the lights and see if they cause any unforseen problems.
i agree with the part where someone should tear these apart and see what they can do with leds.....we have some led freaks around here. i think their handy work is needed here!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Members

My Ride: MB CLS 55 AMG

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1070026' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:56 AM
I think the problem is that the LED's on the sides of the bars are just not that strong!
It's not the LED's that are not that strong, it's the way those bars are prepped. If you look closely at the OEM rods, they have small cuts in them, those cuts help transfer the light across the entire rod easier, when there's no slits or cuts, the light gets dispersed and only makes it a few inches away from the source.

If anyone took these apart, all they would need to do is add little slits/cuts into the rods and they'll be 100x brighter. Using a brighter LED in that case will help too.

Like everyone said, they're good alternative to hybrid lights, something between the Pre-LCI and LCI taillights, although the LCI taillights are still far more superior.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Depending on how they have wired those LED rods, I should be able to build cables that brighten those LED rods and turn those break light bulbs off unless you break. Everything should be plug and play as well. This solution should still work out cheaper over-all in case people want a cheaper option.

Quick Reply: NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights