E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NO YOUCH UP PAINT????

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Went to dealer today to pick up some touch up paint....some hazardous problem, no eta on when they are getting any. Anyone heard of this....
Old 08-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='321307' date='Aug 10 2006, 05:31 PM
Went to dealer today to pick up some touch up paint....some hazardous problem, no eta on when they are getting any. Anyone heard of this....

Are you talking about the small touch up pens? or an actual can of BMW paint. BMW does not import cans of paint to the US, even though you could buy them in Germany. However, they have always had the tounch up brush/pens. I got one for my Titanium Gray II last year. Are these now considered hazardous materials? Have you asked more than one dealer?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='321309' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:48 PM
Are you talking about the small touch up pens? or an actual can of BMW paint. BMW does not import cans of paint to the US, even though you could buy them in Germany. However, they have always had the tounch up brush/pens. I got one for my Titanium Gray II last year. Are these now considered hazardous materials? Have you asked more than one dealer?

I had a chip on my new 530i. I tried this stuff from Dr. ColorChip (there is some website out there and the name is something like that one). The stuff was amazing (I do not work for them). It costs about $45, but well worth it. It does not work on really small scratches.

They send you matched BWM paint (A35 for my Monoco blue). You put the paint on the problem, and you literally rub it in. You let it dry as is. Then, they give you a solution to rub off the excess. I had some scratches on my trunk because one of my friends who was not used to the "rebound" trunk of the 530i was wearing a watch when the truck popped up. The stuff also gives you a gloss coating so you do not need to buy separate stuff. My trunk looked brand new afterwards. I was sold on the stuff.

Once again, it did not work on my really small scratches (which were not deep enough to reach the paint).

Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

I am referring to the brush, not the entire can. Yes, that is considered hazardous...also spoke with 2 other dealers in SoCal. I remeber an incident like this 2 years ago when I was looking for titanium silver touch up.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='321311
I am referring to the brush, not the entire can. Yes, that is considered hazardous...also spoke with 2 other dealers in SoCal. I remeber an incident like this 2 years ago when I was looking for titanium silver touch up.
That's interesting....I got mine last year from Center BMW in Sherman Oaks. I think this Dr. ColorChip stuff "should" have better results than the normal touch up paint......I will try it out.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='321313' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:21 PM
Maybe a CA thing? I got my pen from Bavarian Autosport http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='321465' date='Aug 11 2006, 09:15 AM
Maybe a CA thing? I got my pen from Bavarian Autosport http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
This paint works a different way. You do not really paint it on and leave it there.
You rub the paint in to fill the gaps in the scratches and chips. Then, you rub the excess of. The beauty is that the job looks perfect.

When i put the stuff on my scratches that were too small, the paint did not hold, but I was returned back to where I started when I rubbed the excess off. No harm, no foul.

If you use regular touch up paint or a pen, and you mess up, it is there for good. Plus regular touch up paid does not replicate the glossy finish.

Hope this helps. I really like the stuff.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i with Sports Package, SMG, Preimum Package, Active Steering and PDC. Titanium Silver.

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='321307' date='Aug 10 2006, 05:31 PM
hi Breae60, I concur with your statement here. I too called up 2 different dealership's part shop and they both tell me of this hazardous problem with the touch paint kits sold in America. not sure why though. definitely it's taking forever for germany to ship them over here. that's for sure.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='321514' date='Aug 11 2006, 10:50 AM
This paint works a different way. You do not really paint it on and leave it there.
You rub the paint in to fill the gaps in the scratches and chips. Then, you rub the excess of. The beauty is that the job looks perfect.
Got ya. I took a look at the websiteand probably will try it. I just wanted to let Breae60 know to try Bav Auto for the pen, since I was able to get one there.

My touch-ups after my NC drive were pretty minor and inconspicuous, but if this stuff works as you say I can see it being far superior to the pen.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

UI have order mine n dealer saidd must wait 1 week as it is Hazardous product

Quick Reply: NO YOUCH UP PAINT????