E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Which spark plugs are better
Bosch
37.04%
NGK
62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

NGK v Bosch

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by borisnewn
cmon its gotta be bosch, german car goes with german spark plugs
I thought I have read that some bmw's come with NGK's?
I vote for NGK....coming from the Jap world that's the only thing I trust in my cars. Bosch plugs always gave me problems....but yeah, you're right, I would think german car should have german plugs....but I wouldn't trust them.....when I change my plugs, if they are bosch, they are getting replaced with ngk's
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

Im running NGK's! They work greeeat! LOL Anyone know what spark plugs would be best for an N52B30 with ZEX. Im trying to get on that has the specs for our cars but work well with nitrous oxide.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Executive

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
I thought I have read that some bmw's come with NGK's?
I vote for NGK....coming from the Jap world that's the only thing I trust in my cars. Bosch plugs always gave me problems....but yeah, you're right, I would think german car should have german plugs....but I wouldn't trust them.....when I change my plugs, if they are bosch, they are getting replaced with ngk's
haha i am only kidding
i only said that because i work at bosch.
although i must admit we do put alot of time in our engineering and r&d
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

NGK FTW or Regular Bosch Spark Plugs...Don't get any of those Crazy +2 or +4 Plugs....

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
NGK FTW or Regular Bosch Spark Plugs...Don't get any of those Crazy +2 or +4 Plugs....

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
I ended up with Bosch and I've gotta say it again - so far, I'm happy with them. Even if they ended up being a bit pricey...
Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Well, guys, I've got the car back, running the Bosch plugs. Since I did not want to go iridium - my research basically indicated that the only difference in iridium vs non-iridium is that iridium will last a little longer. Well, I decided to rather just put the new plugs in and run them.

I must say, the old plugs must've been pretty good though, since I don't really feel much difference. The idle is juuuuuuust a little bit smoother, but barely perceptible. Performance is exactly the same - although my brakes need replacing and there's still some ice on the roads here, so I haven't really tried it out yet. Overall, aside from having grossly overpaid for the job (130 for replacing the plugs and resetting all the associated computer crap) and suspicions that the shop messed with my brake sensors, I'm actually happy. They even visually checked the coils and said they "look" absolutely fine.

hey V,

where did you go to change the spark plugs, im in the NY area? anywhere else you recommend for good work better price?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

Which one should i go with and are these good prices?

Bosch--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...um-Spark-Plug-
Set_W0QQitemZ160328680281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2554558359

NGK-->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-N...item19ba38e997

thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
hey V,

where did you go to change the spark plugs, im in the NY area? anywhere else you recommend for good work better price?
I had them changed at Bay Diagnostic on Gravesend Neck Road, but honestly, that place gives me heebee jeebees - every time they work on my car, two things happen:
1. Bill ends up being more than originally estimated
2. Something other than what I came in for requires "immediate" attention.

I'm done with those assholes :thumbsdown:

Not to mention that I obviously got had for the hour and a half of labor at $88 per hour for switching the plugs out. But at least they do they computer re-programming and reset the service interval for the plugs - whoa friggin douchebags! NEVER AGAIN!

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
Which one should i go with and are these good prices?

Bosch--> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...um-Spark-Plug-
Set_W0QQitemZ160328680281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2554558359

NGK-->http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-N...item19ba38e997

thanks guys!
I got mine from Garry Romani of BMW of Newport - he has a standing 25% discount extended to 5series.net forum members and usually shipments come next day
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

I had them changed at Bay Diagnostic on Gravesend Neck Road, but honestly, that place gives me heebee jeebees - every time they work on my car, two things happen:

Not to mention that I obviously got had for the hour and a half of labor at $88 per hour for switching the plugs out. But at least they do they computer re-programming and reset the service interval for the plugs - whoa friggin douchebags! NEVER AGAIN!

I got mine from Garry Romani of BMW of Newport - he has a standing 25% discount extended to 5series.net forum members and usually shipments come next day
ok guess i wont be going there lol.... thanks for your answer.

ok ill check out bmw of newport then... so the ebay spark plugs are too high in cost then huh... which ones do you recommend?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

i contacted them and it comes to 16.25 each for the Bosch... so if you multiply that by 8 its ---> $130.00
way too much... ebay its cheaper

Quick Reply: NGK v Bosch