E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next set of upgrades.. what's the best bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Next set of upgrades.. what's the best bang for buck?

So I had this discussion with my friend planning on buying a 335xi. My main problems from what I read in the past all dealt with my 535xi and what a pain in the ass it is for mods and $$$ for little gain.

So... let's start off with basic car with a tune, intakes.

Now #1 thought would be downpipes. For the 535xi nobody makes them anymore, so I'm out of luck. Apparently it's not so much of a tight fit on the 335xi and people make them.

20ish HP gain ? From what I read. Pretty decent deal, but could be pricey bang for buck due to install.

Now, what surprised me was ET? Selling the turbo inlets. They showed on a dyno 30.. yes 30 whp gain on a "basic" car as mentioned by putting them in. Also looking at the install for the 335xi is much easier than the 535xi. Any comments here?

Next mod coming up was the intercooler upgrade. Also looking at a lot of people's actual results they said about 25whp gain just with an intercooler. It goes against any of my experience with cars. Ie it helps a ton with racing a lot, but if we're talking about me stuck on the highway and punching it once.. I never felt a difference. Everyone said the dyno shows it, and it will show up as a high end power gain. So.. surprising to me, but if people have those dyno sheets.. sounds like a good mod also.

Anyone have inputs? Price bang for buck seems that the inlets is #1.. and then it's going to be a toss up for the intercooler. Both which seem to surprise me according to what info I can strum up.

Meth and E85 sound like easy options as well, but not realistic for our location in MA (no e85 stations handy without driving a lot to get to them) And Meth has never been a great idea in my mind to have in the car all the time for daily drivers.

After seeing a lot of the install manuals etc on a 335xi, it certainly makes me wish it wasn't such a @#$@#$ on the 535xi AWD platform because that's the main reason I'm stopping/happy with what I have with a "basic" car
Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017

There is no mention of tune. Are we assuming a tune or did you not want a tune? The biggest bang for your buck would be an MHD tune. Of course, you'll need an Android device, OTG cable, and pay for the OTS maps, but the performance benefits are very tangible, easy to implement, and reversible. MHD can also grow with you as you add other items, although only the OTS maps will be no additional charge, but there are a couple of stages to the OTS maps as well as consideration for FMIC and DP.

As far as working on the 535ix, everything will be more difficult to do. My car is currently with my mechanic getting a bunch of things done, and to run the new inlets required moving the engine forward, routing the piping, and then moving the engine back to its original location. I wouldn't call that a simple DIY.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:12 AM
New Members

Yes tune was assumed starting with the "basic" car. Just trying to see if there are other mods that might be worth the trouble... Which it still seems no. Honestly mounting an intercooler sounds the easiest.. Or back end flashing for a little more power (on top of my current jb4) still it seems like there's not much to do without a lot more effort and cash. I'm a pretty avid diy, but time with kids and serious frustration without a lift for these things just don't seem worth it.

Originally Posted by Nyulak
There is no mention of tune. Are we assuming a tune or did you not want a tune? The biggest bang for your buck would be an MHD tune. Of course, you'll need an Android device, OTG cable, and pay for the OTS maps, but the performance benefits are very tangible, easy to implement, and reversible. MHD can also grow with you as you add other items, although only the OTS maps will be no additional charge, but there are a couple of stages to the OTS maps as well as consideration for FMIC and DP.

As far as working on the 535ix, everything will be more difficult to do. My car is currently with my mechanic getting a bunch of things done, and to run the new inlets required moving the engine forward, routing the piping, and then moving the engine back to its original location. I wouldn't call that a simple DIY.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Yes tune was assumed starting with the "basic" car. Just trying to see if there are other mods that might be worth the trouble... Which it still seems no. Honestly mounting an intercooler sounds the easiest.. Or back end flashing for a little more power (on top of my current jb4) still it seems like there's not much to do without a lot more effort and cash. I'm a pretty avid diy, but time with kids and serious frustration without a lift for these things just don't seem worth it.
I am in the same boat as you, married with kids and no lift. Downpipes aren't easy without lift and power tools...even if you're a great DYI. I'm still not convinced on the intercooler benefits for the occasional WOT run either. However, I do recognize that those two are the next things to do to get me to 500 HP.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:08 PM
Members

Whoops, just reread the original post and see that you mentioned a tune. I had ordered a set of down pipes a couple of years ago and never installed them due to their difficulty. I did install an FMIC myself, but I do have access to a lift and spent many hours to do it. Intakes and down pipes are part of what has been installed by a mechanic as part of my current round of upgrades.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:22 AM
New Members

Nyulak, did you really notice a difference with the intercooler? And I'm certainly open to hear how the inlets/downpipes go. That is without major custom tuning.. I've actually been pretty happy with the JB4 auto-tune.. it seems to get it's job done right. I had run the Map2 with higher boost which also was great, but as soon as it got a bit cooler (the air got a little too dense) then I hit the fuel cut wall and engine malfunction because of overboost.... went back to autotune and have never had the problem. According to the built in gauge I'm boosting pretty good anyways.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Members

I didn't notice any real improvement with the intercooler, maybe a bit more at the top, but it could have been placebo effect. It did allow me to run a more aggressive map, though. The inlets, outlets, and downpipes are part of a Hexon RR700 install. I was shipped the wrong turbo, so it has taken some time to get everything installed. I hope to get my car by next week.