E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Nex AUX input and Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it's interesting that even if I rip it from CD, it's still marked as clipped "Y" at ~97dB. I normalized all my MP3 and MP4 to 97dB. It sounds OK.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I normalized my mp3s to 89db, run euPOD set to 40% and set my iPod EQ to be "R&B".

I also took stream's advice and ordered a Monster adapter from Amazon. I'll compare it with the Belkin's output and post my subjective opinion.

Cheers.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Stream said that euPOD only works on earphone jack on the top of the iPod, and not works on the line out. If you set for MP3 sound level at 89dB, you needs to crank up the volume a lot to compensate for weak sound level from your normalized MP3.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

I'm glad others out there agree with me that the AUX input is total crap, in my opinion. The bass response is just not there. As I explained in an earlier thread, and how others have mentioned, I think it is the 300 ohm resistor that is on the aux input. Don't know the reasoning behind it, but I think it's unnecessary. When I get a chance, i'm going to take that off and see how the sound improves.

Stream, I know you always say your sound quality is just fine, but I humbly have to disagree with you.

We all are using quality line outputs and not the headphone out jack. The lack of bass is more apparent if you have added extra bass to your system. I added a 12" sub to my trunk to enhance the bass. The lack of bass through the aux input is greatly apparent. I did an a-b test with a burned cd from an ipod playlist vs. the actual playlist on the ipod. The bass is just not the same on the ipod. In my other car, with a cheap 100 dollar Dual mp3/wma capable cd player with aux input sounds beautiful with the ipod. No difference when switching from cd to aux there.

In conclusion, it is just another overpriced crappy product from BMW. It's just sad that I own a 55K car that won't play MP3s and the 200 dollar aux input I bought sounds like crap.

I don't think I should have to re-encode my mp3s at a louder gain, just to make up for the crappy aux input, or use the equalizer. Frankly, the equalizer distorts the music.

Sorry to rant, I am just so tired of seeing the same complaints, about the crappy aux ipod sound with weak bass, and then Stream always talking about how great it sounds. It just doesn't. Hook up some bass or turn your stereo up loud and you will see that there is a problem with the bass response in the aux input.

I don't even use my ipod any more in the BMW.

What a waste...
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

I've just been playing around with my ipod.

I generally feel that the BMW standard sound system lacks low level bass response anyway so I have always had bass up full and treble halfway.

My ipod video has an eq menu and I have selected the bass booster setting.

I'm playing this through the aux input via a 3.5mm cable connected to the line out of my belkin auto charger.

The sound is now LOVELY - I'm getting fantastic bass much clearer and deeper than I have got from cd or radio !!!!

And I've got 12gigs of music on the pod so far - about 200 albums - woohoo

Nex AUX input and Ipod-cimg0116.jpg

I'm also finding that my Brodit mount and non damaging bracket work a treat and make it easy to use the clickwheel while driving.

For those of your dissatisfied with the aux in - try different cables and settings - it does work honest.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by acribb' post='245007' date='Feb 23 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm glad others out there agree with me that the AUX input is total crap, in my opinion. The bass response is just not there. As I explained in an earlier thread, and how others have mentioned, I think it is the 300 ohm resistor that is on the aux input. Don't know the reasoning behind it, but I think it's unnecessary. When I get a chance, i'm going to take that off and see how the sound improves.

Stream, I know you always say your sound quality is just fine, but I humbly have to disagree with you.

We all are using quality line outputs and not the headphone out jack. The lack of bass is more apparent if you have added extra bass to your system. I added a 12" sub to my trunk to enhance the bass. The lack of bass through the aux input is greatly apparent. I did an a-b test with a burned cd from an ipod playlist vs. the actual playlist on the ipod. The bass is just not the same on the ipod. In my other car, with a cheap 100 dollar Dual mp3/wma capable cd player with aux input sounds beautiful with the ipod. No difference when switching from cd to aux there.

In conclusion, it is just another overpriced crappy product from BMW. It's just sad that I own a 55K car that won't play MP3s and the 200 dollar aux input I bought sounds like crap.

I don't think I should have to re-encode my mp3s at a louder gain, just to make up for the crappy aux input, or use the equalizer. Frankly, the equalizer distorts the music.

Sorry to rant, I am just so tired of seeing the same complaints, about the crappy aux ipod sound with weak bass, and then Stream always talking about how great it sounds. It just doesn't. Hook up some bass or turn your stereo up loud and you will see that there is a problem with the bass response in the aux input.

I don't even use my ipod any more in the BMW.

What a waste...

I feel the aux input with iPod--encoded and normalized as I've described--has very good sound quality--close enough to CD quality in a car. Let's remember, this is a car, and when driving, it is a less-than-ideal acoustical environment.

Since you decided to add a subwoofer, you clearly like lots of bass. Perhaps that's not as important to me, but I find the bass response to be just fine. To each his own!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='245016' date='Feb 23 2006, 03:09 PM
I've just been playing around with my ipod.

I generally feel that the BMW standard sound system lacks low level bass response anyway so I have always had bass up full and treble halfway.

My ipod video has an eq menu and I have selected the bass booster setting.

I'm playing this through the aux input via a 3.5mm cable connected to the line out of my belkin auto charger.

The sound is now LOVELY - I'm getting fantastic bass much clearer and deeper than I have got from cd or radio !!!!

And I've got 12gigs of music on the pod so far - about 200 albums - woohoo

Attachment 15866

I'm also finding that my Brodit mount and non damaging bracket work a treat and make it easy to use the clickwheel while driving.

For those of your dissatisfied with the aux in - try different cables and settings - it does work honest.
Another satisfied customer!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='245022' date='Feb 23 2006, 11:15 PM
Another satisfied customer!
Been using the ipod a bit more today and my conclusion is that the bass varies from track to track. I am going to try fiddling with the itunes equalizer to try to make this more consistent and have activated sound check on my ipod.

I don't think there is a prob with the aux in as such, but the BMW system is naturally not heavy on the bass and the ipod is the same - together they play crisply and cleanly, but a bit biased towards treble.

None of this would affect my enjoyment and I am happy to kick back and listen to the pod all day long.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

iPod bass output is not good as other MP3 player like Zen, I guess. Does anyone try AUX on CreativeLab Zen MP3 player to see how it goes?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

The saga continues:

In an ongoing quest for base I've been dabbling a bit and done the following:

1. Activated 'sound check' in i-tunes and on my ipod - 'levels' the volume on both for all tracks. This necessitated a complete update of all songs (2148 of them) on my pod.

2. I created a 'new' custom e.q. preset in i-tunes with the bass cranked high as poss and called it big bass.

3. I applied big bass to ALL of my tracks in i-tunes and sync'd with my ipod.

4. Play pod with e.q. on bass boost and - I get increased bass on all tracks.

5. I've continued to experiment and it seems that if I import songs AFTER allocating them to big bass then the effect is increased.

Quick Reply: Nex AUX input and Ipod