E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Sirius Module coming from BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to add Sirius to my 2007 E60 but my dealer said BMW is working on a new module (post XM/Sirius merger) based on some channels going away from Sirius and some new channels being added. This might mean some separate signals being accessed than what the current modules access. He also said new modules will be out next year? (got to wait that long?)

I am worried how much of this is true - I understand that the shark fin Sirius antennas are tuned for specific Sirius frequency ranges which don't overlap 100% with XM frequencies. So if some Sirius channels are going away and some XM channels are coming in, are they going to be re-transmitted over the Sirius channels etc?

Thanks for any help. Also, I didn't find any screen-shots of the Sirius on the E60 Navigation iDrive? Any help here?
cheers
PN
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Members

Welcome to the club! I have been waiting over 7 months. Still no module. To top it off I have had the Stealership call me twice to bring my car in to have it installed. When I got there they told me both times they had made a mistake and didn't have the part. I currently have a call into BMW North America to complain but I am not that hopeful anything will be resolved.
I am running an FM modulator currently, crappy sound quality but I am a news junkie, and wondering if I should just get the Aux Input module instead.

Interesting question? I have the Ipod Adapter in place of my CD changer. Can I get the Aux Input module also?

Hang in there! Eventually there will be a part available. (That is what I keep telling myself anyway!)
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Members

Your reply confirms the fear I had - gotta wait forever. Thanks by the way for the quick reply.
So I have to start believing in my dealer - 2010 it will be for the SiriusXM (if the company stays floating till then .

BTW, I did the tinting (I have a black on black, so black tint was natural) right-away and it is helping a lot to keep cool and stay cool.
cheers
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You guys might be able to get the older version of the Sirius module either from some other dealer's parts department or second-hand from eBay, etc.

The newer unit that BMW is working on will likely be compatible with the newer offerings that the merger created. My guess is that with the new radio, in addition to the normal Sirius streams, you'll be able to get the package that I think they call "the best of XM". If the best of XM isn't something you care about, then I'd say look for an older unit and have it installed and programmed.

If you think you want to wait for the new unit, you might want to triple-check that it'll even allow the additional channels in an older E60. With all the complexities of these cars, don't be surprised if they tell you that even with the new radio, you can only get the normal Sirius channels.

(This reminds me of the wait us early E60 adopters had with Sirius. There was a whole thing with the Satellite prep package, whether you had it or not, whether BMW was allowing you to order it or not, whether they were charging $75 for it or not, when was the receiver going to come out, etc. Those were the days -- if anyone wants to learn more, do a search! )
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Members

Thanks Rudy - yes I read some of those painful/dreaded conversations on early (pre-2004 builds?) E60s. Not just Sirius, but BT, Nav etc. *phew*.

Just heard back from Garry at BMW Newport/NJ, they are receiving Sirius radios - a 2-week delay now if we order. Good pricing too. Thanks Garry.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Members

I actually got a call from my dealer today. Since I have complained to the management and BMW NA they now have a module in stock! Seems like an awful big coincidence.

I can't get my car back to the dealer for 2 weeks so I will have to wait and see. I am sure it is an older module but I don't care. I only plan on keeping the car another 18 months or so.

I have my fingers crossed!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Members

i have a sirius module in my 05 545i that i dont want Feel free to take it off my hands.. Never used it before.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='1014389' date='Sep 22 2009, 08:52 PM
i have a sirius module in my 05 545i that i dont want Feel free to take it off my hands.. Never used it before.
I would be interested in discussing taking it off your hands if you still have it
Phone 859 469 0013
Tom Willenborg
Covington, KY 41011
Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Members

It turns out that the new modules are here. But, they are in very short supply. I finally had mine installed last week. It took the dealer 2 days to reprogram the car after spending 30 minutes installing the module.
At least I had a brand new X5 to drive while I waited.
It was a long wait for the module but it turned out ok in the end. I did see their paperwork and they had charged $1276 internally for the install. I am glad I got them to throw it into the deal when I bought my car. I would not have paid that price separately.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

Originally Posted by Grokker' post='1036215' date='Oct 19 2009, 09:33 PM
It turns out that the new modules are here. But, they are in very short supply.
I saw mine on Friday at the dealer's parts counter. They are holding it for me as they are now waiting for an iPod kit to come in also. The new sat modules make reference to something like "Gen 2.5" printed on their labels. My dealer showed me the module but apologized saying that the iPod kits are now on an indefinite non-available status... They quoted me same price to program one or both at same time, so I will wait for the iPod kit to come in.

Any ideas on reason for no iPod kits? Are they doing for them what they just finished for sat radio - months on non-availability? I use an iPhone 3GS so I want it to work well with whatever goes in for the iPod function.

Quick Reply: New Sirius Module coming from BMW?