E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New shocks with stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time you see people upgrading the springs on old shocks.....anybody ever upgrade the shock and leave stock springs? Wouldnt this be a better route to go improving the ride/firmness of the shock on already broken in springs?? Is there a downside to this other than not lowering the car?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Most of the time you see people upgrading the springs on old shocks.....anybody ever upgrade the shock and leave stock springs? Wouldnt this be a better route to go improving the ride/firmness of the shock on already broken in springs?? Is there a downside to this other than not lowering the car?
It's more cost effective when you change springs to go ahead and also replace the shocks to save time and money in removal and reinstall of the shock assembly.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

agree 100% with cwest, go with h&r sport or race springs with koni yellow shocks, i've had id for almost a month now and the ride is very comfortable plus you can adjust the stiffness of the ride with the knob that they include with the konis
good luck
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the responses guys but the question is more of a hypothetical.....putting cost aside is it better to change out the shocks instead of the springs? .......I doubt theres anyone who has done this, normally a person would change out the shock and spring at the same time. I guess what Im trying to ask is its more likely that the springs would be fine and the shocks would be bad?? Or is it more likely that the shock is bad because the spring has lost its springiness? lol, and that has caused the shock to go bad forcing you to change out both?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the responses guys but the question is more of a hypothetical.....putting cost aside is it better to change out the shocks instead of the springs? .......I doubt theres anyone who has done this, normally a person would change out the shock and spring at the same time. I guess what Im trying to ask is its more likely that the springs would be fine and the shocks would be bad?? Or is it more likely that the shock is bad because the spring has lost its springiness? lol, and that has caused the shock to go bad forcing you to change out both?
you gotta change the springs first on my opinion coz that determines how low and how your car will sit, i had sport springs for awhile with stock suspension, then when i hit certain number of miles i went ahead and switched the suspension to konis, and the difference in ride is amazing
up to you what you want to do, but i have never heard or seen someone switch the suspension first before the springs, at least not in this forum