E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New M172 wheels for my 545i......I love it

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a couple of close calls with buying the 166's over the last two years I finally decided to get the 172's. Tony (quad_m) gave me even better prices than Crevier BMW and Newport BMW, and superb customer service, so I was glad to order the wheels from him. Here's a link to pictures of the wheels in the shipping boxes etc. >>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<< There were a few reasons for me choosing the 172's over the 166's:

1. I loved the way they looked in the pictures of the Euro M-Sport models. There was something unique about them that made them different from other BMW double spoke wheels. The fact that the spokes are flush with the edge of the rim and also the fact that the spokes are flat (no curves) made them different than other double spokes ( like the E46 M3's and 135's??). The combination of the straight and diagonal lines and flush and flat spokes matches the lines of the E60 better than other wheels and also gives the 172's a modern look.

2. I was planning on running wider tires and the offset of the 172's made them more suited for this on a regular (non-M5) E60 vs. the 166's. (more on this below...)

3. I kept seeing more and more E60's that had changed to the 166's and I always prefer my car to have a more unique look if possible, In the January meet in SoCal about 1/3 of all the E60's had 166's. That was one more push towards the 172's and helped me make up my mind about getting the 172's the day of the January meet. I thought that since BMW NA does not sell any cars in the US with 172's it would make my car more unique. Unfortunately I found out a few days later from the BMW NA press release that the 2008 LCI 550 sports package was not only going to have the M Aero kit, it was also going to come with the 172 wheels. That sort of put a damper in my plans of my car being "unique", but regardless it did not change my plans of getting the 172's.

As some of you here know from my posts and some others from direct conversations (Vegastrashed), I did not think that 245's and 275's were wide enough for 8.5" and 9.5" wheels. These are the tire sizes necessary to run on the 166 wheels when they are installed on a non M5 E60. It's not that I want wider tires than that, it's just that I think the width of the wheels are too much for those tire widths. There are two issues here. One is the way the tire looks visually. I don't know if I can explain myself clearly but I will try. When you look at the sidewall of the tire I like it when the sidewall bulges out slightly (or at least is flush with) the edge of the wheel. However, when looking at a 245 tire on the 8.5" 166's you can see the top of the sidewall is further in (towards the center of the car) vs the part of the sidewall that is attached to the wheel. I just hate that look. The other issue is that in a case like that there is also less wheel protection provided by the tire. However, this is also very dependent on the rim protection lip that the tire has (each brand and model tire is different in this area).

I ended up getting Nitto INVO tires in 255/35-19 and 285/30-19. This solved the first issue that I mentioned above, which means the sidewall does not look like it is narrower than the wheel (it does not go in at the top). However, as most of you know there is always a slight variance between the actual width of the tires from one manufacturer to the next, even if they are the same size tires. It looks like the INVO's run on the narrower side. The 255's at the front look pretty much flush with the edge of the rim, just slightly better than other brand's 245's. At least it does have a square shoulder look and the shoulder does not go in at the top and look rounded like the 245's I've seen on 166's. However, I would have definitely liked it if the tires were slightly wider by just a couple of mm's. The rears are much better than the fronts (the sidewalls actually stick out a bit from the wheels, however, not as much as the M5's (both 285's on 9.5" wheels). So I think that the Contis on the M5 run wider than the INVO's

The second issue that I mentioned above for wanting the wider tires was more rim protection. Well, the INVO's don't offer much of a rim protection lip at all (very slight). Joe (Vegastrashed) told me that his new General Exclaim's were wider and offered better wheel protection than his old Toyo's, however, They don't make Exclaims in the sizes that I wanted.

There were two places that I was worried about having rubbing issues. One was at the top (tire to fender) and the other was between the tire and the fender lining at the front when the steering wheel was turned all the way to one side. Well there are no problems with the front of the tire rubbing the fender lining when the wheel is turned, but barely. If I said there is barely 1mm of clearance there I would not be exaggerating. I thought that I had heard some rubbing sounds when going through the dips the first few minutes after I drove the car out of the tire shop, but I can't reproduce it now no matter how hard I try. I have driven on the same streets and same dips with different speeds and no rubbing sound anymore. The only difference now is that the tire shop had overinflated the tires by a great deal when I first drove through the dips and thought I heard rubbing noises. Since then I let out a lot of air in order to correct the pressures and no more rubbing sound????

It did not make sense that the tires would have rubbed at all because a 255 tire on the 172's offset sits 1mm farther away from the fender lip (more in) when compared to the standard 245's on the 166's, and I have not heard of any reports of 245's with 166's rubbing. Yes, since my 255's are the same profile as the 245's on the 166's they do have 1/8" more in diameter, so the tire sits 1mm farther in than the 166's, but has an 1/8" higher sidewall. Is that enough for it to rub? I don't know, I just know that I can't make it rub anymore since decreasing the pressure.......was I paranoid and imagining the rubbing noise the first day??

Anyways, here are some pictures that I took with my phone camera, so I apologize for the quality. It seems like someone at the house has "misplaced" my real camera:

Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Rody,
The wheels look great! In addition, the combination of the 172s and clear headlights makes your car look just like the LCI models.

Can't wait to see the wheel/tire combo in person. I believe you mentioned you can't make it to Bimmerfest. I hope you can make the Malibu Canyon Meet in June or July. That drive will certainly test if you have any rubbing issues.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Members

Funny how wheels are. My car comes with the 172's and I am thinking of switching to the 166's. I have only seen one set of 166 wheels in my area and they were on a M5.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

lookin good man and looking forward to seeing you and your e60 at another meet in the future.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Thats a huge write up. Wheels look good though
Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

nice rody, was that pic taken at El Prado? I used to go fishing there alot
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

I have to agree those have to be my favorite rims for the new LCI rides. I too will have to add them to the ride, they look great
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='416984
lookin good man and looking forward to seeing you and your e60 at another meet in the future.

I am definitely planning on being at the Malibu Canyon meet at this point. Hopefully nothing will come up to conflict with the meet.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='417060' date='Apr 23 2007, 07:41 PM
Thats a huge write up. Wheels look good though
I don't talk much, but once I get going I can't shut up
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='417097' date='Apr 23 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't talk much, but once I get going I can't shut up