E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New E60; Beginner Mods and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

4) The best way out is to get a A2DP adapter and hard wire it to get power from the lighter sockets (or use a charger). Then you can play over bluetooth. You won't get any details of the song etc.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i 20"Concept One / C F Emblems / JB4 / M5 Front / R1 Concept Rotors / Vorsteiner Spoiler (waiting on...)

Originally Posted by cleung
JB4 is tried and true, I wouldn't heistate to get one. Dinan is over priced and actually does void warranty, what actually happens is Dinan covers the warranty if BMW says no. The trouble is if you don't have a Dinan dealer near you how do you get anything covered? JB4 is untraceable and I don't really recal any stories of guys having warranty trouble after putting one in. Its plug and play and you can just remove it before going to the shop adn its untraceable. I bunch of guys at my dealer who drive bmw's actually have it installed on there vehicles.

+1 on the JB4; my tuner installed mine (2008 535i) and I'm still trying to fine tune this thing as it's pretty amazing....I took a "Porsche" budy for a spin when I had it at MAP 4 and I scared the guy shitless.....Very well worth the money spent for the horsepower.....
Old 05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

Ordered my interior lights today. Post-LCI Angel eyes come next..

With the JB4, can anyone comment on the impact of the additional hp on other parts of the car? Eg do you go through brakes, shocks, struts more frequently having the additional HP? Just conceptually - the bulk of the parts in the E60 were designed for that base 300 hp, add on 60-80 more may have some impact.

The only reason I'm asking is that this is my daily driver, and I'd like it to last to 100k (at 30 now).

Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

This thread is full of WIN and a great example of how helpful and supportive this community can be, I luv u guys! Lol
Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

I know I've asked my slew of questions, I have another as I'm going:

6) Black on white BMW hood emblem/badge: I've seen some people here w/that emblem, what's the quality like? And where can I get one? My current badge has a stone chip in it.

Thanks again. The information is here is fantastic and am taking notes as I go along.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I am happy with the CF emblems from Trinity Motorsports on these forums.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I also have the CF emblems and they have been great, I've had them for 4 years now and no issues. For my wires x3 I've decided to give the slickers a try from Bimmian, hopefully they will be ok.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by cleung
I also have the CF emblems and they have been great, I've had them for 4 years now and no issues. For my wires x3 I've decided to give the slickers a try from Bimmian, hopefully they will be ok.
The only issue I have with the CF emblems is that they get STOLEN! Twice already so I've learned my lesson. I'll just order the stickers from now on.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by Roy7
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first BMW - E60 - 2009 535i x-drive; 38k; Black sapphire metallic; premium and cold weather packages.

Had a few questions - and before I get flamed - I searched the forums extensively first, but many of the links didnt work, and pictures werent great - and information was scatterred - so I figured I'd just ask.

I'd like to start with some basic mods before I delve into springs/rims, kits.

1) Interior LED lights: I like bright white, and dont like yellow. What Kit/bulbs does everyone recommend? Next, where is a good explanation of how to install them without ruining the settings? I'd mainly want to change the dome lights.

2) Black Shadowline Trim: My current car has some minor oxidation along chrome on both sides of the car. In the near future I'd like to replace them. Some people are recommending "plasti-diping", but I'm not a huge do-it-yourself-er and would rather just take parts out, and snap new ones in, instead of risking messing up the job. How much would the shadowline trim cost, where would I be able to get it, and how to install?

3) Angel Eyes: I think they look gorgeous, my car has Xenon/HID lamps, if hypothetically I wanted my mechanic to install white LED angel eyes, and just purchased the kit, how much would I be looking at (is it even possible?)? Also, I'm still under then 50k warranty, would that mod void anything?

4) Sound/MP3: I know theres a separate forum for this all together, but I just had a quick question - is there any way to play music via bluetooth? I've got my adapter/plug for my iphone, but would like to have the convenience of just having music stream via bluetooth.

Lastly - I'm in Montgomery County Maryland, so anyone else in the area have a good shop recommendation? I go to VOB BMW (Rockville BMW).

That's it for now. I really appreciate everyones feedback and understanding regarding my mechanical ineptitude. It's a work in progress.

Attachment 133388
Welcome to the Family!!! Plus, you are from my home area, but now I live in Socal. I went to high school in Bethesda.
For the LED interior lights and LED Angel Eyes contact Nerwyll or Joe at Trinity Autosports. You are looking at about $100 for the interior lights and now they have 10W LED Angel Eyes for around $130. If you are interested in Shadow line trim, try Bimmian.com or go to a local shop and have them wrap it for you in matte black. Good luck with the modding.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Members

One more question.... and some updates...

1) Interior Lights..... Check.

2) Shadowline Trim - I'll be waiting a bit on it a bit, I used a "trim cleaner" and the oxidation is nearly gone. I'm sure it'll come back soon.

3) About the Angel Eyes - what does everyone think about Bimmian versus Trinity, versus John at Motorcepts? The thing I like about Bimmian is the website and the comparison: There seems to be "Lux" versus "Weisslicht", and both around similar prices (sub 300). Any preferences? And back to installation, this shouldnt be a problem for my mechanic to just install? (I'll probably print out a "FAQ" or webiste for him).

On that same note, the Bimmian website says "some E60's may have a headlight out error", I'm not a fan of that error - anyone run into that issue?

4) Sound - I'll let that one go, and just plug in my iphone, I'm over it.

5) CF Hood Emblem - Check, bought last night.

6) M5 Lip: I think that sounds a little awesome, but what types are there? And what about the paint jobs offered by the facility versus my mechanic? Eg Bimmian offers an M5 lip spiler, with a paint job, that's fairly cheap - Rec's, comments opinions?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: New E60; Beginner Mods and Questions