E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New dinan part installed today

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

I just installed the light dinan flywheel for the 545 smg.

Does feel a bit smoother, anyone else install this part?

The claim that the light weight (7lb) saving allows for less inertia or energy to rotate the wheel dramatically inproving performance - but not dyno tested yet!

Just trying to get other with feedback.

www.dinan.com
Old 11-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='194067' date='Nov 5 2005, 04:42 PM
I just installed the light dinan flywheel for the 545 smg.

Does feel a bit smoother, anyone else install this part?

The claim that the light weight (7lb) saving allows for less inertia or energy to rotate the wheel dramatically inproving performance - but not dyno tested yet!

Just trying to get other with feedback.

www.dinan.com
Haven't done it to 5er yet, but had the TMS lightweight flywheel on my E46 M3 (w/SMG).

I'm still ambivalent about that mod. It's a total give and take. While there's no HP gains, it does make the car perform differently.

A lighter flywheel is better for high end. It allows the car to rev up faster, but it also causes RPM's to drop faster. This is great for road racing since it allows you to accelerate AND decelerate faster (since there is more engine braking).

Also, it makes the car easier to stall since the flywheel is lighter and has less "momentum".

Bottom line, a lighter flywheel makes it harder to launch the car hard because the flywheel is so light that it doesn't have much energy stored in it and, as a result, dumping the clutch will cause the car to bog. On the other hand, a heavier flywheel carries more momentum and thus dumping the clutch at the same RPM won't cause the car to bog as much, since the flywheel is harder to "stop" because it has more momentum.

That being said, my TMS flywheel was great -- I mean, is great. Fast, revs like you wouldn't believe, a bit loud, but a must for any serious track car.

Let us know how the Dinan flywheel turns out.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:31 PM
JDN
Contributors

That flywheel is touted by Dinan to cause smoother SMG shifts. I have been sorely tempted to try it, but have resisted. I would be interested in your follow up experience.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='194107' date='Nov 5 2005, 08:31 PM
That flywheel is touted by Dinan to cause smoother SMG shifts. I have been sorely tempted to try it, but have resisted. I would be interested in your follow up experience.
\\OK - I'm back, just drove the car for an hour. There is a definite noticeable difference. Not in the end of the rpm range. definitely in the beginning. The shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are definitely smoother and seem quicker.

Having said that - I hope that its not a subjective view - but the car is definitely quicker. forget about the shifts - it just seems much quicker, having alighter feel - especially in first gear or the shortest gear - its just seems to want to rev. I without hammering the accelerator. I tries it a few times from long light to light spans in first to second - the car feels 300 lbs lighter - the tach moves up the rev count really wuickly, quicker than usual.

Do you think this is possible?

Also reading comments about the flywheel install in the m3 - I tested to see if there was any bogging. I purposely let the computer downshift in the manual mode of the smg just to see if there would be any bogging (nope!)

I think that the m3's smg has more settings, perhaps the e60 smg settings are just perfect. tomorrow I'll try it again through the end of the powerband range - I mean through the rpm range.

I can't wait to try it after the B&B Exhaust install next week., and in the end it could just be the aerodynamics of the new sport kit that was installed as well