E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New aero package(s)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for a nice aero package to add to my 545i Sport. There seems to be plenty of options and styles with varying prices. I am aware of what carbon fiber, how its made, etc. etc. My question to the members is; what is the best material for a daily driver? Do I consider fiberglass, polypropylene, what? I've got some experience with 'glass and the fragility scares me. How do these different materials accept paint and hold their shapes, etc. etc.

You can probably see where I'm going here with this topic. I would appreciate all input!

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by gretamay' post='870345' date='May 6 2009, 07:28 PM
I've been searching for a nice aero package to add to my 545i Sport. There seems to be plenty of options and styles with varying prices. I am aware of what carbon fiber, how its made, etc. etc. My question to the members is; what is the best material for a daily driver? Do I consider fiberglass, polypropylene, what? I've got some experience with 'glass and the fragility scares me. How do these different materials accept paint and hold their shapes, etc. etc.

You can probably see where I'm going here with this topic. I would appreciate all input!

Thanks, Jim
You're best bet is to go with the OEM Mtech kit. That I believe is Polypropylene (I'm not sure), but its flexible and is better in the low run. No one on the forum really used fiberglass for their bumpers. I think the only thing fiberglass is Front splitters.

You can contact Umnitza and get their kits. Their bumpers are almost OEM match but for a fraction of the price.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I believe the Umnitza kits are Polyurethane....
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

same old, same old... eeeeeehhhh, let me revive my first thread on this forum in here - I actually know a shop that will manufacture a completely custom body kit, provided I can get like 50 kits pre-sold. I dabbled in the design of it a little, but my original sketches got raped by this forum LOL so I'm still just trying to get the concept of it in order. However, the thing of it is, its not very likely that we can get enough takers to justify a custom kit... though, I'm DEFINITELY interested... actually, maybe at the next meet, I'll bring my laptop and we can sit down and people can suggest the features to me, while I'll put it on the car on my laptop...

anyway, if there are interested people, I can start a thread about this again and see how many pre-sales we can gather...
Old 05-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='870757' date='May 7 2009, 02:35 AM
same old, same old... eeeeeehhhh, let me revive my first thread on this forum in here - I actually know a shop that will manufacture a completely custom body kit, provided I can get like 50 kits pre-sold. I dabbled in the design of it a little, but my original sketches got raped by this forum LOL so I'm still just trying to get the concept of it in order. However, the thing of it is, its not very likely that we can get enough takers to justify a custom kit... though, I'm DEFINITELY interested... actually, maybe at the next meet, I'll bring my laptop and we can sit down and people can suggest the features to me, while I'll put it on the car on my laptop...

anyway, if there are interested people, I can start a thread about this again and see how many pre-sales we can gather...
What material would you be using to manufacture your kits? . . . . .and why? I'm really interested in getting the right kit with the right material. What is your opinion?