E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New 550i owner - Help with some mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

I just installed the sprint booster on my 550 and I have mixed feelings about it. Most importantly since I live in LA I may get 3 chances a month to really push my car, and it never lasts long: so this thing may be overkill for me.

In green mode it is great for around town driving when traffic is light and you can actually get on it. Green mode and sport mode combined is my favorite for canyon driving, except the car does really racy things like keep it in 2nd gear at 5k RPM's all the way out of a turn and into the next one. To me that's great for racing, but I cringe when I think of what I must be doing to the motor in the long run. Red mode, forget it - aside from the track I just can't think of a good reason to have this type of accelerator response on a street car.

Green mode on the freeway has proven to be awful so far. It constantly searches for gears and jolts wildly. And really. When you're already at those speeds what difference could a snappier gas pedals really make...CVC23103(a) is the same no matter how fast you get to it.

I almost took the thing out, but being an ex-sport biker I still love the turns, so I will try it out a bit longer.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 550i RD SPORT CATLESS QUAD EXHAUST, DINAN INTAKE, RPI, 3D DESIGN CF AERO, COILOVER, 19" OEM 172's

Interesting about the Sprint Booster. I drive it mostly in the red mode or tone it down to green mode and enjoy the quick throttle response. It just takes getting used to and controlling your touch, then it's normal. I don't mash the gas pedal to the floor all the time either. Now that I've driven the car more it does seem to get a bit jerky Sport Mode and with Sprint Booster in race mode, so in traffic or stop and go - it's pretty rough, and drives like how muscle car would. At cruising speeds, it's pretty much inactive. My daily commute is some stop and go spread out by long 60+ mph open road that makes for fun launches and violent overtaking. Great fit for me, but perhaps not all.

The Remus exhaust turned out nice. Simple bolt on install I had a local shop do for me, which took them an hour. I would have done it myself if I was able to get at it. It definitely is more of a subtle change, but I think it may need some time to break in a bit yet. The tone is a bit deeper, but no V8 rumble. It's more like a premium stock system. Doesn't scream "hey look at me!", which is nice - but enough there to know it's bad-ass.

I've not owned the car that long and I've done several mods, so I'm not sure that I can accurately gage whether or not there was much of a performance benefit. The car still seemed so new and fast to me that it's hard to gage whether I'm going faster. I'm going to eventually get around to getting a Dinan intake, RPI scoops, and the DINAN Stage 2 software - at which point I'll get it on a dyno and out for some 1/4 mile times.

Mods done so far:
Carbon Fiber front grill
Carbon Fiber hamann style front lip
Painted front reflectors (not installed yet)
Front license plate delete
De-badged
Charcoal Filter Delete
BMC Intake Filter
Sprint Booster
Remus Exhaust
Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: white 2007 550i with M package, 20" Vertini wheels and HID angel eyes and fog lights, matt black grills and blue LED interior lights

I also have an 07 550i with the M package, I have done angel eyes, fog lights, interior light, matt black grills, blue LED interior lights, but I have nothing really that will boost the HP that much.