E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need Trailer Hitch info pls. Kit? P/Ns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Can anyone tell me please where would be the best place - presumably somewhere in Europe - to obtain a trailer hitch and all the various necessary bits 'n' pieces?

I want to pull a small tralier - about 850lbs total weight - a couple of times a year behind a 530xiT. Yes, perhaps the ideal solution would be to have a truck or whatever, but that isn't going to happen. The 530 has to be a one-tool do-everything vehicle - after all thats what a wagon is for.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alex
Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Alexol,

Have a look at www.towequipe.co.uk - they are very helpful. Drop them a line or give them a phone (but note the UK's 0800 Freephone number won't work from the USA!). There is no need to get a genuine BMW kit, as all towbars in Europe have to be type approved. I have a Witter fitted to my 530. The Westfalia bar is the same as genuine BMW, but you need the genuine BMW bumper cover to hide it. The Witter is partly visible under the bumper. You must get a detachable towbar to preserve the lines of your car. Get a "Dedicated" wiring kit - it is more expensive, and more tedious to fit, but it is a better job, particularly for someone who isn't used to wiring towbars. The Dedicated kit plugs into various parts of the car at the back, plus two piggy-back connectors to the CAN Bus. There is NO requirement to have the car reprogrammed to recognise the trailer. All the bulb failure functionality works, both on the car and trailer, and the rear PDC's are cut off when you plug in the trailer.

Towbar fitting is very simple - it's only a half hour job, but expect the wiring to take longer as all the trim has to be taken out of the boot (trunk) to plug things in. There is no requirement for any drilling!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='397527' date='Mar 2 2007, 06:23 AM
Alexol,

Have a look at www.towequipe.co.uk - they are very helpful. Drop them a line or give them a phone (but note the UK's 0800 Freephone number won't work from the USA!). There is no need to get a genuine BMW kit, as all towbars in Europe have to be type approved. I have a Witter fitted to my 530. The Westfalia bar is the same as genuine BMW, but you need the genuine BMW bumper cover to hide it. The Witter is partly visible under the bumper. You must get a detachable towbar to preserve the lines of your car. Get a "Dedicated" wiring kit - it is more expensive, and more tedious to fit, but it is a better job, particularly for someone who isn't used to wiring towbars. The Dedicated kit plugs into various parts of the car at the back, plus two piggy-back connectors to the CAN Bus. There is NO requirement to have the car reprogrammed to recognise the trailer. All the bulb failure functionality works, both on the car and trailer, and the rear PDC's are cut off when you plug in the trailer.

Towbar fitting is very simple - it's only a half hour job, but expect the wiring to take longer as all the trim has to be taken out of the boot (trunk) to plug things in. There is no requirement for any drilling!

Thank you VERY much - exactly the info I was looking for!

Alex
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Alexol,

Glad to help.

If you haven't already been in touch with Towequipe, have a look on their website - they usually have fitting instructions for the towbars and wiring on line. This will give you more of an idea what you will be looking at. I know they have a lot of info on the site, but some of it is buried quite deeply!! www.witter.co.uk also have fitting instructions on line for the towbar.

Mike
Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='397582' date='Mar 2 2007, 10:55 AM
Alexol,

Glad to help.

If you haven't already been in touch with Towequipe, have a look on their website - they usually have fitting instructions for the towbars and wiring on line. This will give you more of an idea what you will be looking at. I know they have a lot of info on the site, but some of it is buried quite deeply!! www.witter.co.uk also have fitting instructions on line for the towbar.

Mike
Is their a US after market hitch for the 2008 E61?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

The towbar is the same for all E60 and E61, from 2003 onwards.
i.e. a towbar for a 2003 E60 will fit a 2008 E61

Mike