5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   need help on rim size (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/need-help-rim-size-21237/)

ericdbs 01-25-2006 03:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hello all.... time for a birthday gift for my car.... and from my visit to pheonix spent the week with a person who design and make custom rims...or should i say custom fit and dipped.. so heres my problem.... im looking at 19's.. http://www.jlinewheel.com-500_SDMSL2.JPEG the offset i want is 9.5 rear and8.5 front.... the guys(my brothers) want me to get 10 rear and 9 front... now my question is .. how the ride would be with the higher offset and if any rub factor might happen... i want to maintain the great ride i have.. and not to worry about anything.... you womments would gratly be appreciated.... oh yeah... colors im looking.... black chrome with polished lip or chrome lip and polished rim face... thanks eric dAttachment 14696Attachment 14697

Hamann5 01-25-2006 03:28 PM

hey i really like the style of those.. umm tiwth 19's you can def get away with 9" and 10" widths... I know guys here with 20's with a setup like 20 by 9.5 front and 20 by 11 rear and no rub so im sure you won't run into a problem

ericdbs 01-25-2006 03:32 PM

thanks hamann5... your comment is greaty appreciated...i dont have sport package... so i can see how it wouldnt be any problems... would it run flush with the fender.. for the rear... and sighly tucked in the front... thanx eric... so far... im leaning to the 10 r and 9fnt

ericdbs 01-25-2006 06:17 PM

anybody know what the offset of stock 17.... just curious

ericdbs 01-25-2006 09:49 PM

do you guys think black chrome looks too pimpish vs just silver or polished

Hamann5 01-26-2006 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ericdbs' post='229780' date='Jan 26 2006, 01:49 AM
do you guys think black chrome looks too pimpish vs just silver or polished

Black with a chrome lip isn't "bling" all chrome is bling.. or even if you went polish lip with the black it would look great.. silver I mean you can't go rong with it but on a black car I really started to like the black look and im tellin ya once you go black you never go back

ats77 01-26-2006 05:39 AM

im tellin ya once you go black you never go back

that is prob myprob too, I started to think the same way! :thumbsup: time and sparing will do it...

jsal 01-26-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ericdbs' post='229629' date='Jan 25 2006, 04:13 PM
hello all.... time for a birthday gift for my car.... and from my visit to pheonix spent the week with a person who design and make custom rims...or should i say custom fit and dipped.. so heres my problem.... im looking at 19's.. http://www.jlinewheel.com-500_SDMSL2.JPEG the offset i want is 9.5 rear and8.5 front.... the guys(my brothers) want me to get 10 rear and 9 front... now my question is .. how the ride would be with the higher offset and if any rub factor might happen... i want to maintain the great ride i have.. and not to worry about anything.... you womments would gratly be appreciated.... oh yeah... colors im looking.... black chrome with polished lip or chrome lip and polished rim face... thanks eric dAttachment 14696Attachment 14697

Just to clarify, the offset is very important. However, the numbers you are asking about are the width of the rims. The offset is a number that defines how far the rim is from the hub. I believe the width of the rim also affects this. So if you have a 8" and a 8.5" with a 20mm offset, the rim will actually stick out farther. You can clarify this width a wheel expert.

For example, the 124 style rims on a 545i sport are:
front - 20mm, 8" rim
rear - 32mm, 9" rim

Both of which are too far inset in the car, in my opinion.

The 166m rims are:
front 12mm, 8.5" (very aggresive offset for the wider fender of the M car)
rear - 28mm, 9.5"

I would stay with 8.5"/9.5" width rim. I don't like the look of the tire if the rim is too wide, as it looks like it curves into the tread instead of looking square.

The 28mm offset for the rear is perfect if you have a large tire that is going to tuck into the wheel well. You can decrease the offset to move the tire more outward, but then you have to be concerned with the overall diameter of tire so it does not crunch the fender.

I would say the front with a 8.5" rim, you want about a 14mm offset, the tire will be just inside of the wheel well. IMO, the 12mm offset on a 8.5" rim seems to be outward too far. Although others have not felt this way.

If you want to go with a 19" rim, I would ask the question - rim width, tire size and offset. Then start looking at the pictures to see what look you like.

BTW - nice looking wheels - I like the lip.

Good Luck.

ericdbs 01-26-2006 09:21 AM

anyone know the bolt pattern and offset.... for the bmw? im going to order soon... and i want to make sure im not making my car look funny...im going with the 10 rear and not sure for the front.... dont want the turn radius to be compromised... so maybe 9.0 or 8.5....front...im going with the polished lip and black chrome... being that the design would not show too much bling..eric d

freed0m 01-26-2006 09:44 AM

How much are those JLine rims and what size did you decided on? I am interested in them as well.

Originally Posted by ericdbs' post='229988' date='Jan 26 2006, 10:21 AM
anyone know the bolt pattern and offset.... for the bmw? im going to order soon... and i want to make sure im not making my car look funny...im going with the 10 rear and not sure for the front.... dont want the turn radius to be compromised... so maybe 9.0 or 8.5....front...im going with the polished lip and black chrome... being that the design would not show too much bling..eric d