E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

need help with lighting mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my '07 550 on Tuesday. I'd like to begin with some lighting mods. I did a bunch of research and am still unclear on a few things!

First: I'd like to mod the pre LCI DRLs on the car. It currently has the yellow DRLs and I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to change them to a LCI look. I saw the Mycarr ICE and others, but from what I understand they won't work as DRLs which have a lesser power requirements. What are my options?

Second: I also wanted to change the tail lights to the LCI look. I've seen a bunch of posts with group buys for this but don't understand the difference between V.3/V.4/V.5 etc.
From what I understand I would need a special cable and the lights as well? Would this cost around $700? How complicated is the install?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Since DRL only run at reduced voltage and pre-LCI uses the inner light (hi-beam) as DRL there's nothin' you can do as any bulb will still be at reduced power in DRL mode and will not show its full brightness. And to make the DRL to a dual ring look you have to upgrade your headlights to an LCI headlights (that's what I did) or do a heavy & expensive LED modification.

The latest version of the LCI cable will give you the best result, I think up 'till v3 it will strobe during startup the rest probably better packaging & electronics inside it, if you getting the Euro tail lights (amber blinker) + the latest v6 cables in the group buy I think it'll cost more than $800, maybe less if you just get the cable and get US tail lights (red blinker) that you may find at the local dealer, I'm using Euro tail lights w/ v5 cable.

GL!

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='926835' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm picking up my '07 550 on Tuesday. I'd like to begin with some lighting mods. I did a bunch of research and am still unclear on a few things!

First: I'd like to mod the pre LCI DRLs on the car. It currently has the yellow DRLs and I wanted to know if there's anything I can do to change them to a LCI look. I saw the Mycarr ICE and others, but from what I understand they won't work as DRLs which have a lesser power requirements. What are my options?

Second: I also wanted to change the tail lights to the LCI look. I've seen a bunch of posts with group buys for this but don't understand the difference between V.3/V.4/V.5 etc.
From what I understand I would need a special cable and the lights as well? Would this cost around $700? How complicated is the install?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

If you really want, u can put HIDs for u DRL by using relays but that will prolly blind ppl. Sent PM
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='926885' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:56 PM
Since DRL only run at reduced voltage and pre-LCI uses the inner light (hi-beam) as DRL there's nothin' you can do as any bulb will still be at reduced power in DRL mode and will not show its full brightness. And to make the DRL to a dual ring look you have to upgrade your headlights to an LCI headlights (that's what I did) or do a heavy & expensive LED modification.

The latest version of the LCI cable will give you the best result, I think up 'till v3 it will strobe during startup the rest probably better packaging & electronics inside it, if you getting the Euro tail lights (amber blinker) + the latest v6 cables in the group buy I think it'll cost more than $800, maybe less if you just get the cable and get US tail lights (red blinker) that you may find at the local dealer, I'm using Euro tail lights w/ v5 cable.

GL!

How pricey was it to change your headlight to LCI ? Did you buy the LCI headlights and do the install yourself or have the dealer install for you?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

since u have an 07, i think all u need is programming, BMW retrofit cables, headlights and taillights. You should not need an LCM (lighting control module). Ask ur dealer how much they charge for programming BEFORE u buy the items.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

I can't find any pricing on LCI headlights...any ideas what they cost?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

probably have to go to the dealers for email garry at newport. gromani@bmwofnewport.com

It's going to be quite costly. Might as well just disable the DRL, get some LCI taillights with Bruce cables, led angel eyes, hid fogs, license plate, and interior LEDs and call it a day and have lots of cash.