E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need help guys...dealer trying to rip me off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

I need to find a dealer around me that will enable the mp3 in my car. Everything works except for that I can't select CD1-CD6. My ipod shows the BMW logo but I can't get it to play on my iDrive. I went to a dealer in Ontario, California called Savage BMW and those guys try to rip me off and told me it would cost $450 just to enable it. Does anybody know of any BMW dealers or independent dealers that will do it around So Cal. Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flipnf3rno' post='804105' date='Feb 28 2009, 02:31 PM
I need to find a dealer around me that will enable the mp3 in my car. Everything works except for that I can't select CD1-CD6. My ipod shows the BMW logo but I can't get it to play on my iDrive. I went to a dealer in Ontario, California called Savage BMW and those guys try to rip me off and told me it would cost $450 just to enable it. Does anybody know of any BMW dealers or independent dealers that will do it around So Cal. Thanks guys.

There is a SIB thats on customer complaint basis only for mp3. Its free.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flipnf3rno' post='804105' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Did you replace your CDC with the IPOD retro kit ? ?

And the CDChanger won't play MP3's ... that feature is only available in the CD slot in the dash. I'm confused by what you are trying to accomplish .
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

I took out my CD changer and installed the iPod retrofit. My main cd player already plays mp3's. When my iPod is connected it shows the BMW logo on it, so it should be ready to play. When I try to select to play the mp3's on the iDrive by selecting CD1, it won't allow me to select it. The dealer said they needed to program my system so that my iPod would work. They were going to charge me $450. I'm trying to see if anybody knows of any dealers around So Cal that will do it for cheaper or if there is something else I need to do.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flipnf3rno' post='804380' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:39 PM
I took out my CD changer and installed the iPod retrofit. My main cd player already plays mp3's. When my iPod is connected it shows the BMW logo on it, so it should be ready to play. When I try to select to play the mp3's on the iDrive by selecting CD1, it won't allow me to select it. The dealer said they needed to program my system so that my iPod would work. They were going to charge me $450. I'm trying to see if anybody knows of any dealers around So Cal that will do it for cheaper or if there is something else I need to do.
This doesn't make sense, if you can play mp3 cds in your in-dash cd player, it should work, check your wiring again!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='804414' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:00 AM
This doesn't make sense, if you can play mp3 cds in your in-dash cd player, it should work, check your wiring again!!!
I don't think there's any other wire to check. There is only one wire to plug in. I know it's plugged in right because when I plug my iPod it shows the BMW logo on the iPod screen. I'll take pics in the morning.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='804414' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:00 AM
Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Mine being an example where even though I could play MP3 CD's on my in-dash, I still needed to retrofit encoding to get the OEM ipod adapter to function properly with iDrive. I found a shop that had Autologic Car Computer, took it in to them and the retrofit encoding took less then 10 minutes. The guy felt bad charging me 30 bucks! (100 AED)

Call around to independant mechanics, see if they have an autologic or GT1 for BMW. It's simple as hell. 450 bucks is criminal.

Any shop that's capable of doing bmw encoding (i.e. even with the GT1) can do it. It's the retrofit path option, Ipod adapter. Easy peasy.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='804455' date='Mar 1 2009, 05:02 AM
Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Mine being an example where even though I could play MP3 CD's on my in-dash, I still needed to retrofit encoding to get the OEM ipod adapter to function properly with iDrive. I found a shop that had Autologic Car Computer, took it in to them and the retrofit encoding took less then 10 minutes. The guy felt bad charging me 30 bucks! (100 AED)

Call around to independant mechanics, see if they have an autologic or GT1 for BMW. It's simple as hell. 450 bucks is criminal.

Any shop that's capable of doing bmw encoding (i.e. even with the GT1) can do it. It's the retrofit path option, Ipod adapter. Easy peasy.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Anybody know of any dealers or independent shops around So Cal that will do this but not charge me an outrageous 450 bucks?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

You don't have NAV, so the adapter does need to be activated in iDrive. As others have said, any independent shop with the right software can do it for you. You can also call around to the various BMW dealerships in your area and see what they charge. The dealerships here in Houston charge anywhere from $165 to $350. Good luck,
Old 03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i' post='804614' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:36 PM
You don't have NAV, so the adapter does need to be activated in iDrive. As others have said, any independent shop with the right software can do it for you. You can also call around to the various BMW dealerships in your area and see what they charge. The dealerships here in Houston charge anywhere from $165 to $350. Good luck,
Yeah, I know. My original post was if anybody knew of a shop or dealer around So Cal that did this programming for cheaper than $450.

Quick Reply: Need help guys...dealer trying to rip me off...