E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need help: Dension GW500 install (again....)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d 218ps

Basically my car has CDC, Business Nav with MP3 playback enabled

I bought a 2nd hand GW500 unit from a fellow forum member. It has 6 DIP switches and has the 2 ports: CAR SIDE and CDC Side.

So far have managed to tap power supply from the CDC and followed connection "2a" as per the instructions. DIP switches are set: 1 & 2 on, and 3 - 6 off. The LED lights up and I can switch the CDC on & off using the Dension switch.

However when I select CD from the iDrive only the single disc CD is selectable, and options CD1 - CD6 are greyed out. When I connect my iPhone it acknowledges the connection and asks to activate the airplane mode. I still can't access the iPod or files from the USB key. Both my iPod touch and iPhone 2G are not charged by the gateway

I have tried flashing the Gateway to ver 2.15 but has been unsucessful. The USB key lights for a few seconds, but after leaving it for more than 10 minutes, the rom file is still there - meaning update didn't take place.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried searching the forum but can't seem to find a relevant post.

Thanking all in advance....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by 666bxg' post='741314' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:34 AM
Basically my car has CDC, Business Nav with MP3 playback enabled

I bought a 2nd hand GW500 unit from a fellow forum member. It has 6 DIP switches and has the 2 ports: CAR SIDE and CDC Side.

So far have managed to tap power supply from the CDC and followed connection "2a" as per the instructions. DIP switches are set: 1 & 2 on, and 3 - 6 off. The LED lights up and I can switch the CDC on & off using the Dension switch.

However when I select CD from the iDrive only the single disc CD is selectable, and options CD1 - CD6 are greyed out. When I connect my iPhone it acknowledges the connection and asks to activate the airplane mode. I still can't access the iPod or files from the USB key. Both my iPod touch and iPhone 2G are not charged by the gateway

I have tried flashing the Gateway to ver 2.15 but has been unsucessful. The USB key lights for a few seconds, but after leaving it for more than 10 minutes, the rom file is still there - meaning update didn't take place.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried searching the forum but can't seem to find a relevant post.

Thanking all in advance....
the CD1-CD5 should light up, even without an ipod connected. CD6 lights up when an ipod is connected. CD5 should give you a menu of audio sources. (aux in, usb, ipod gw, etc)
version 2.15 is incorrect firmware- that is for D2B versions- you need the MOST version of the firmware. that is currently at 2.101.

i don't think either of those ipods can be charged with the stock cable. I would check two things, one make sure you are actually getting switched power to the unit, and that the fiber connections are correct (they should be if the changer works, but i think that setting just bridges two of the fibers- so i'd check the out from the car side plug and in on the output from the dension, since those are the two that involve output from the gw500.

also- the switch takes 15-20 seconds to fully take, it's not an immediate response.

hth
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

Thanks for the quick reply Felix,

I checked the connections again, and they all seem to be fine. All the red lights seem to be shining in the right direction anyway...

Had a look at the website for Dension and it says the latest firware for MOST is 2.15. The D2B version's latest firmware is 2.101

Do you guys remember if the DIP switches for your setup are set the same as mine? Anything else I should be looking at?

I thought this was going to be one of the easier mods.... maybe I'm just unlucky!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 666bxg' post='741384' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Felix,

I checked the connections again, and they all seem to be fine. All the red lights seem to be shining in the right direction anyway...

Had a look at the website for Dension and it says the latest firware for MOST is 2.15. The D2B version's latest firmware is 2.101

Do you guys remember if the DIP switches for your setup are set the same as mine? Anything else I should be looking at?

I thought this was going to be one of the easier mods.... maybe I'm just unlucky!
you're right on the firmware, i got my wires crossed while I was posting. mine took two tries to take the update.
my dip switches are set up like the 2a- 1,2 on, the rest off.

WAIT. just re-read your original post. you have BUSINESS nav, not PRO nav. the smaller screen right, not the one in my signature? Flip the first dip switch down and try that. The m-ask supposedly does not support text on the cd changer interface, although i've seen people on here that have it. might have been a running change or an LCI update.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='741401' date='Dec 9 2008, 01:19 PM
you're right on the firmware, i got my wires crossed while I was posting. mine took two tries to take the update.
my dip switches are set up like the 2a- 1,2 on, the rest off.

WAIT. just re-read your original post. you have BUSINESS nav, not PRO nav. the smaller screen right, not the one in my signature? Flip the first dip switch down and try that. The m-ask supposedly does not support text on the cd changer interface, although i've seen people on here that have it. might have been a running change or an LCI update.
found the post about the business radio and the text. you'll need a trip to the dealer for ipod coding if you want the text. for now you can just flip switch 1 down, it will work but you won't have text.

[topic="65287"]M-ASK Business HU & TEXT with Dension's Gateway 500[/topic]
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='741427' date='Dec 9 2008, 06:47 PM
found the post about the business radio and the text. you'll need a trip to the dealer for ipod coding if you want the text. for now you can just flip switch 1 down, it will work but you won't have text.

[topic="65287"]M-ASK Business HU & TEXT with Dension's Gateway 500[/topic]
Felix, flipping the switch worked for me

I wish I had read about the Business units not being capable of displaying text; just had the car coded for CDC last week!! Looks like another trip to the dealer. Can an independent autoshop with autologic system do the coding, possibly for less money?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 666bxg' post='741489' date='Dec 9 2008, 02:51 PM
Felix, flipping the switch worked for me

I wish I had read about the Business units not being capable of displaying text; just had the car coded for CDC last week!! Looks like another trip to the dealer. Can an independent autoshop with autologic system do the coding, possibly for less money?
i'd first try to beg the dealer, see if they'll re-code for less since it was a mistake and it was only last week. if not, an autologic should be able to do it. I've never dealt with one, although I want one. badly.