E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need clarification on AEs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by umnitza
Simon, you're right. "never" is a strong term.
It hardly illuminates, and there is no long term empirical data on damage a higher heat system will have on the OEM housing (wiring shouldn't be an issue).
read a few posts regarding heat of HID bulbs as well on light housing and bulb temps...I believe eas took a pic comparison of LED, Halogen, and HID bulbs on while connected to a temp gauge and showed HID bulbs were the same (one vendor claimed cooler) than the OEM halogens.....IMO, as long as the ballasts and relays/resistors are properly spec'd and wired, there should be no problem running HID's....
Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome discussion--this is exactly what I am looking for. Looks like 3 "levels" of mods--PNP bulbs (dim but cheap and easy); brabus HIDs with mild to moderate modification and wire running(I saw the DIY), and the ORIONs v2 with highest mod level (likely not DIYable) but the brightest.

Since I am only looking for a color change and do not expect to drive with only angel eyes night, I may go with the PNP Genesis bulbs--anyone disagree?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

have not used genesis PNP bulbs, but myself a good number of members have experience with GP Thunder Bulbs...best bang for your buck tho IMO (~$20)....(pics are in my gallery for GP Thunder Bulbs, pics can be deceiving as well as different angles and lighting conditions effect how the brightness comes out in the pics....)

GL with your decision...
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Originally Posted by mwolfe
Awesome discussion--this is exactly what I am looking for. Looks like 3 "levels" of mods--PNP bulbs (dim but cheap and easy); brabus HIDs with mild to moderate modification and wire running(I saw the DIY), and the ORIONs v2 with highest mod level (likely not DIYable) but the brightest.

Since I am only looking for a color change and do not expect to drive with only angel eyes night, I may go with the PNP Genesis bulbs--anyone disagree?
I just went through this myself man! I was like you....I wanted something better in color than the stock yellow. Not too concerned about the overall brightness. I went with LED bulbs only PNP. Exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't be happier.