E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need clarification on AEs

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For this Newbie and any others who are interested in AEs. Over the past couple of months as a member, I have been reading a lot of threads regarding angel eye mods. It seems there is a difference between pre-LCI and LCI AEs.

Just short and sweet--I have a 2008 550i (luvin' it). What do I need to do to make my OEM, yellow, dim angels eyes nice and bright white?

Sorry if this is repetitive, but a short clarification is all i need.

Thanks a ton.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

PM this member brabusw209amg, he got some good stuff for you
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mwolfe
For this Newbie and any others who are interested in AEs. Over the past couple of months as a member, I have been reading a lot of threads regarding angel eye mods. It seems there is a difference between pre-LCI and LCI AEs.

Just short and sweet--I have a 2008 550i (luvin' it). What do I need to do to make my OEM, yellow, dim angels eyes nice and bright white?

Sorry if this is repetitive, but a short clarification is all i need.

Thanks a ton.
Originally Posted by umnitza
2004-2007 Cars with Xenon
Predatr ICE V2 - no longer offerer = equal brightness to Mtec V2 <-- these are the best plug and play solutions available for a long time, no more.

Predator ICE V3 & Mtech V2.1 - ICE V3 is brighter fractionally but they are the same price and are the best plug and play on the market.
All the others - Weiss, Racedash, China special, etc. are about the same as the original ICE V1 unit we introduced 4+ years ago and are now direct knockoffs of the Mtec V1/V2 units.

Orion V2 = brightest possible application, but requires the cutting or opening of lights by other means. There are no drawbacks to this kit other than the opening of the lights.

2004-2007 Cars without Xenon
Don't have a lot of data here, but Orion v2 will work if you cut the lights open. I believe the only way to upgrade these is with 5W wedge LEDs - sorry, can't offer you much data here.

2008-20010 Cars with Xenon
HID Kits (no error code modules are required) - best *BRIGHT* solution, but the high beam rings are washed out. These are offered by a lot of vendors - from $100 on up to $250. There is no proven long term usage on these - they may be fine, they may be dangerous and burn parts out.

Genesis kit (we sell this) - average output, not the best, but will change the lights to white.

GP Thunder - waste of $30 - basically 35W halogen hyperwhite bulbs that do nothing really.

Weiss, Racedash, and various others, slightly brighter than GP Thunders, usually sell from $60-150.

Orion V2 = brightest possible application, but requires the cutting or opening of lights by other means. There are no drawbacks to this kit other than the opening of the lights.

2008-20010 Cars without Xenon
Don't have a lot of data here to offer you, but I do know the Orion v2 will work on these as long as you can open the lights.
that should help.

The best setup we offer for plug and play LCI is the Genesis kit. Great kit, easy to work with, inexpensive.
The best kit we or anyone else offers is the Orion V2 for LCI or Pre-LCI - but it's not usually a DIY.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
PM this member brabusw209amg, he got some good stuff for you
Addition to Umnitza's post, brabus (John) offers HID angel eyes, which would be the brightest if that's what you want. The install of HID angel sits between plug and play and Orions, right in the middle.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor

Well, the problem is while we also offer the HID angel eyes, we highly do not recommend them. They look weird and the outside ring never illuminates.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I stopped carrying the LEDs as the illumination is worse. I HIGHLY recommend the HID angel eyes if you do not want to open the headlights. If you want to open up the headlights, I suggest getting the Orion V2s.

THanks for the support everyone!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by umnitza
Well, the problem is while we also offer the HID angel eyes, we highly do not recommend them. They look weird and the outside ring never illuminates.

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
I stopped carrying the LEDs as the illumination is worse. I HIGHLY recommend the HID angel eyes if you do not want to open the headlights. If you want to open up the headlights, I suggest getting the Orion V2s.

THanks for the support everyone!
I could be mistaken, but i am pretty sure brabus's kit offers a pretty even light distribution between the 2 rings on each side, John, can you comment on this please?

perhaps the difference would be to 2 different kits being sold by the different vendors...
Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I could be mistaken, but i am pretty sure brabus's kit offers a pretty even light distribution between the 2 rings on each side, John, can you comment on this please?

perhaps the difference would be to 2 different kits being sold by the different vendors...
Gene, the uneven light distribution is due to BMW's (flawed) engineering design.

While I can't agree with Umnitza saying the low beam is never illuminated, it is true that the smaller halo is noticeably brighter. I don't know if any of the guys with HID AE actually drive with AE only during night time, but it sure is hell very possible because it's so bright.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor

Simon, you're right. "never" is a strong term.
It hardly illuminates, and there is no long term empirical data on damage a higher heat system will have on the OEM housing (wiring shouldn't be an issue).
Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Gene, the uneven light distribution is due to BMW's (flawed) engineering design.

While I can't agree with Umnitza saying the low beam is never illuminated, it is true that the smaller halo is noticeably brighter. I don't know if any of the guys with HID AE actually drive with AE only during night time, but it sure is hell very possible because it's so bright.
yes I know how the light design is, the outter rings get light reflected to them from the inner rings where the bulbs sit...but my question is to towards the statement of umnitza saying that the "outside ring never illuminates" I mean yes, it does not have a direct light source, but does indirectly light up. I mean, even my halogen replacement bulbs give off some light/are visible....So what I am trying to find out..is umnitza's HID kit any different from brabus kit in terms of "brightness" and distribution between the outter rings. I've even read on some other forums where vendors will reccommend the bulb face a certain way in the inner ring to allow more light to the outter ring. So is there a difference? And yes, well know the orion's light up both rings....

Quick Reply: Need clarification on AEs