E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need Advice on Rolling Fender and TPM Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.

I just installed my new 20" wheels and am getting considerable rubbing on the back wheels. The backs are 10.5 wide but are made for me car. They are paired with T1R toyo tires. Bascially on any decent size bumps the make a loud rubbing sound while casual driving. I live in los angeles near hollywood and want to know if you guys have any trusted body shops which will roll my fenders the right way. I dont want to drive this far so maybe los angeles, pasadena, glendale area.

Also I am having a TPM (tire pressure sensor) problem. It keeps getting the error even after reset. Anyone have any advice on getting this thing to clear?

thank you!

Eddie
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 550i

Originally Posted by eddie33081' post='364820' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone.

I just installed my new 20" wheels and am getting considerable rubbing on the back wheels. The backs are 10.5 wide but are made for me car. They are paired with T1R toyo tires. Bascially on any decent size bumps the make a loud rubbing sound while casual driving. I live in los angeles near hollywood and want to know if you guys have any trusted body shops which will roll my fenders the right way. I dont want to drive this far so maybe los angeles, pasadena, glendale area.

Also I am having a TPM (tire pressure sensor) problem. It keeps getting the error even after reset. Anyone have any advice on getting this thing to clear?
thank you!
Eddie
A few people have mentioned that the E60 fenders have body filler in the crease so you cannot roll them. They have to be cut.

What is the tire size and the offset on your new wheels?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eddie33081' post='364820' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone.

thank you!
Eddie
Hi, you are a fairly new member, so I assume that you may have a 2007 model. Correct? If so, are you sure that you obtained new sensors or had the old sensors from your old wheels put on the new ones.

The old models did not require the 2007 model sensors, and you need to either buy new ones or use the old ones. I apologize if you already know this and you have some other more technical issues with the sensor replacement.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i Silver Gray/Gray Dakota Leather | Steptronic | Cold Weather | Xenon | Premium Package Modifications: M Aero Kit | Carbon Fiber Kidney Grill | K&N Air Filter | Charcoal Filter Removed | Radenergie R10 Silver 20" soon | kW coilover V3 | SprintBooster soon | M5 trunk finisher Next planned mods: ?Hamann quad exhaust + Hamann quad rear diffuser + Hamann Front Lip?

Hmm, I'm going to be installing 9x20 front and 10.5x20 rear with toyo tires too. I was told that it wouldnt rub
Old 12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

Thank you for your responses everyone.

Hi, you are a fairly new member, so I assume that you may have a 2007 model. Correct? If so, are you sure that you obtained new sensors or had the old sensors from your old wheels put on the new ones.

The old models did not require the 2007 model sensors, and you need to either buy new ones or use the old ones. I apologize if you already know this and you have some other more technical issues with the sensor replacement.
I have a friend that works for bmw so I had my rims changed at a bmw dealership along with alignment. He is pretty new to working with bmw's so he did not know how to fix the sensor either. I have a 2007 530i, can you give me the part number and any information on how to have them installed on my wheels? I wasnt aware my old wheels had sensors on the wheels. I was hoping I could just reset the thing. THank you for that bit of information.

A few people have mentioned that the E60 fenders have body filler in the crease so you cannot roll them. They have to be cut.

What is the tire size and the offset on your new wheels?
My rims and tires are :

SPORT TECHNIC 20" PREMIUM (FORGED)
20 X 9.5 255/35/20 Toyo T1R
20 X 10.5 285/30/20 Toyo T1R

Hmm, I'm going to be installing 9x20 front and 10.5x20 rear with toyo tires too. I was told that it wouldnt rub

10.5 in the rear is a bit too big. To fix my problem I had my fenders rolled yesterday and had to put on a smaller tire on the back wheels. I went with 285/25/20 in the back and it does not rub at all with only myself and one passenger. But with anyone in the back seat It rubs over any large bumps. It seems that the wheel is just too wide. If you dont mind some rubbing in the back or mostly ride alone it works fine. To be safer you may want to get 285/20/20 in the back. Since I already bought these im stuck with them.

If you guys have any other tips for my backs rims to help avoid rubbing it would be appreciated. Also if you could let me know about how to get those sensors so my car can monitor tire pressure.

Thanks

Eddie
Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

eddie how is the front..... any rub issues.... i also have 20x9.5 to be installed on monday.... toyo sponsored my tires t1r... and will have h&r springs race installed and i am worried about the rubb factor...eric d...also any pics???ericd
Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eddie33081' post='365758' date='Dec 10 2006, 03:10 PM
I wasnt aware my old wheels had sensors on the wheels. I was hoping I could just reset the thing. THank you for that bit of information.
Pre-2007 wheels do not have sensors (its a different system). If you are replacing 2007 wheels, take the sensors off the old 2007 wheels and put them on the new ones. You should get new sensors if you will be switching often (like me).
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

eddie how is the front..... any rub issues.... i also have 20x9.5 to be installed on monday.... toyo sponsored my tires t1r... and will have h&r springs race installed and i am worried about the rubb factor...eric d...also any pics???ericd
Old 12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Members

So far the fronts have been perfect. No rubbing even with 4 people in the car. The issues have been with the back only. I will have pictures next friday as I am also getting the M-Lip installed. The fronts are completely stock. I did not have them rolled.

My car is a 2007 so I will either take them off or get another set. Do you have a part number?

Thanks

Eddie
Old 12-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eddie33081' post='365781' date='Dec 10 2006, 04:12 PM
So far the fronts have been perfect. No rubbing even with 4 people in the car. The issues have been with the back only. I will have pictures next friday as I am also getting the M-Lip installed. The fronts are completely stock. I did not have them rolled.
My car is a 2007 so I will either take them off or get another set. Do you have a part number?
Thanks

Eddie
No, but Garry at Newport BMW on this site can send them to you for about $175.00. TireRack also has them.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Rolling Fender and TPM Sensor