E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NCS coding and e60

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was thinking of getting into NCSExpert and learn to code some simple stuff on my E60.
A few questions before I get all the necessary tools:

1. NCS Dummy is just to compare files/get them ready for coding with NCS Expert?Before I go any further, did any people brick their ECU with NSC Expert, read that a few other programs did that (if battery dies in the middle does not count)
2. My car is remapped so the ECU is already modified. Can I just code one bit at a time? i.e. I would like to add the digital speedometer first, can I just flash that module instead of the whole ECU?
3. Is there a way I can mess up the remap on the ECU? Shouldn't be right? If when I code anything, I assume I download all the ECU/modules anyway and just modify the value/s and then code them back?
4. I have searched the forums/net for a how to on the digital speedo but no luck finding a guide. Does anyone who did that have a copy to see what it involves?
5. How long does it take to code a module?
6. I found some guides but nothing actually goes into a lot of detail on the use of INPA, NCS expert/dummy and other tools needed. Where is a good to place to start with the basics?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Was thinking of getting into NCSExpert and learn to code some simple stuff on my E60.
A few questions before I get all the necessary tools:

1. NCS Dummy is just to compare files/get them ready for coding with NCS Expert? YES

Before I go any further, did any people brick their ECU with NSC Expert, read that a few other programs did that (if battery dies in the middle does not count) no

2. My car is remapped so the ECU is already modified. Can I just code one bit at a time? i.e. I would like to add the digital speedometer first, can I just flash that module instead of the whole ECU? YES

3. Is there a way I can mess up the remap on the ECU? NO Shouldn't be right? If when I code anything, I assume I download all the ECU/modules anyway and just modify the value/s and then code them back? YES

4. I have searched the forums/net for a how to on the digital speedo but no luck finding a guide. Does anyone who did that have a copy to see what it involves?

5. How long does it take to code a module? about 10-20 secs

6. I found some guides but nothing actually goes into a lot of detail on the use of INPA, NCS expert/dummy and other tools needed. Where is a good to place to start with the basics?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
http://www.bmwcoding.com/
Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

thanks.
also with NCS I should be able to enable mp3 + cd changer to get the dension 500 working right?
and does anyone have the details on the digital speedometer module and toggle?
anyone know what are the latest versions of ncs, inpa, ediabas?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 E60 550i

The link Gene posted will answer your questions. You'll have to do some reading first and I suggest you don't skip that part. Any questions you have, will probably be answered better there.

I went down the same path you're about to go to and for the simple things you want to code, it's really not that complicated. The setting for the digital speedo in the BC is called BC_DIGITAL_V and it's located in the KOMBI module.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Cinder
The link Gene posted will answer your questions. You'll have to do some reading first and I suggest you don't skip that part. Any questions you have, will probably be answered better there.
+1

drac... time to stop asking questions and spend your time reading . You will get a lot of help here but I think you will see there isn't a LOT of hand-holding to get going with this. Think of it as a qualification or rite of passage. Not that anyone is trying to be difficult but entering the world of reprogramming computer modules on our $60k BMWs requires some skills, determination, fortitude and ability to troubleshoot. It would be unfortunate to put these tools into the hands of just anyone wanting to press a magic button and then read about how they messed eveything up. That make sense?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

thats exactly what i am doing currently before i even attempt to connect to the car. i am just building up a database with all the references/guides i need for when i actually go ahead and do some coding.
i went through most of the forums/guides on bmwcoding.com too
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: bmw 530d bmw x5 3.0d bmw 320i opel corsa opc bmw 135i dct

Eish i messed with my DME once & THATS THE 1st & LAST TIME I OPEN THESE BOX !!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

so what did you mess up? whole ECU?