E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My Wheels Are WARPED!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I got them balanced today due to vibration when i get around 40 mph and 110mph, turns out they are balanced, but they are either bent or warped. I got them redone completely and i didn't see any bends. My right rear M5 rim is warped. The guy told me if i changed my tires out id feel it less. I need to replace them since the tread is close to bald anyway, but do you think that will ease the vibration? Im so frustrated, i spent $550 getting them all refinished and to solve the vibration because one of the wheels were cracked, and now i find out one of them is Warped. Why is it every time i care about my cars, they end up with more problems.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

opinion and suggestions appreciated
Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributors

Warped - do you really mean bent? BUMMER

See if the wheel shop that refinished them can also true the bad wheel. It can be done.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aresh' post='842840' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:42 AM
I got them balanced today due to vibration when i get around 40 mph and 110mph, turns out they are balanced, but they are either bent or warped. I got them redone completely and i didn't see any bends. My right rear M5 rim is warped. The guy told me if i changed my tires out id feel it less. I need to replace them since the tread is close to bald anyway, but do you think that will ease the vibration? Im so frustrated, i spent $550 getting them all refinished and to solve the vibration because one of the wheels were cracked, and now i find out one of them is Warped. Why is it every time i care about my cars, they end up with more problems.
Wheel problems are the worst. I have had my share... and it always costs me a ton to get it right. Sorry but the only solution I know will work is new wheels and tires... If you put a new tire on a warped wheel you will ruin the tire. You need to find a very reputable shop that can make sure your wheels are true, straight. Replace any that aren't or are cracked. Welding a cracked wheel may fix the crack but is not good for the balance of the wheel.

Are these OEM M5 wheels or reps? If they are reps, punt and get 4 new wheels. IMO you are wasting your time trying to get reps to run perfect, ask me how I know...
Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='842962' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:06 AM
Warped - do you really mean bent? BUMMER

See if the wheel shop that refinished them can also true the bad wheel. It can be done.
There are places that true/repair wheels... but I am very picky. Once a wheel is damaged I replace it.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='842972' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:12 PM
Wheel problems are the worst. I have had my share... and it always costs me a ton to get it right. Sorry but the only solution I know will work is new wheels and tires... If you put a new tire on a warped wheel you will ruin the tire. You need to find a very reputable shop that can make sure your wheels are true, straight. Replace any that aren't or are cracked. Welding a cracked wheel may fix the crack but is not good for the balance of the wheel.

Are these OEM M5 wheels or reps? If they are reps, punt and get 4 new wheels. IMO you are wasting your time trying to get reps to run perfect, ask me how I know...

get some heavier duty wheels seems you drive on some bad roads
Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by aresh' post='842953' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:01 PM
opinion and suggestions appreciated
Buy a new set and don't get them warped.

Aluminum wheels don't like to be maltreated.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Members

Sorry to hear , the best thing to change the warped one by new , what to do , iam so picky also ineed clean car
Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributors

you see when i bought my car it came with my m5 wheels they are all beat up i dont believe in fixing wheels i will just sell them and either upgrade to a 3peice rim forged most likely or get a new set of 166 or a new set of m6 wheels my advice is replace that wheel as repairs only last a few months usually specially if it was a crack or bended rim it will never be perfect as a new one trust me
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='843215' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:17 PM
you see when i bought my car it came with my m5 wheels they are all beat up i dont believe in fixing wheels i will just sell them and either upgrade to a 3peice rim forged most likely or get a new set of 166 or a new set of m6 wheels my advice is replace that wheel as repairs only last a few months usually specially if it was a crack or bended rim it will never be perfect as a new one trust me
Before replacing the setup, I'd give your local BMW center a call and see if they recommend anyone...I'm sure they partner with a local firm that specializes in this. I bought my car with 2 bent rims and the service dept had someone come in and true them up free to me, but about $150/wheel for the service. No more vibration or loss of air...everything worked out great. Might be worth a shot before sinking in 1-2k for a new setup. Good luck.

Quick Reply: My Wheels Are WARPED!!