E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My M5-Lip Dilema. Hamann Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an amazing offer I can't refuse on a Hamann front lip for the replica M5 bumper which included not having to buy it from Umnitza which also sealed the deal. Nevertheless, my problem is clearance. As you can see in the pictures below the M5 bumper sweeps back a bit and actually dips lower from front to back. In other words, the front fins are slightly higher than the back closest to the wheel. First pic shows a clearance of 6". Back by the wheel shows a clearance of 5.5".

What I want to know is just how thick the Hamann lip is and how much lower it is going to make the front? I'm assuming I won't be able to go over any sort of speed bumps again... If the lip adds 2" total or more, this might be pretty dangerous. My car is already pretty low with the H&R sport springs and no passengers in it!

But damn, it would look so much meaner with a lip!

How thick does this look to you? (P.S. - My car will look exactly like this in 2 weeks if I do it, mirrors and all!)
My M5-Lip Dilema. Hamann Ground Clearance-untitled-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails My M5-Lip Dilema. Hamann Ground Clearance-0809101504a.jpg   My M5-Lip Dilema. Hamann Ground Clearance-0809101503a.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Are those Neez wheels in your pic?

As for the lip, I can measure mine later today (Hamann rep) but it does take up at minimum 1" but probably closer to 1.5"-2". I was debating on taking mine off because of how low my car is (I can only fit the front half of my foot under the front of my car) but it looks too awesome.

If it's that good of a deal, I say do it. Mount it with only screws first and drive around a bit, if you can't stand it, you can always sell it. If you like it, add some 3M tape and enjoy!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

my lip lasted me a total of 90 mintues. i guess i don't have the skill to drive with car that low.

not only are speedbumps an issue, driveways are also very problematic as well as curbs when you park. i scrape my m5 rep bumper from time to time even without the lip.

if you are getting a good price for the lip: go for it. maybe put it on the car without painting it first just to see how it is. If you're able to get around okay, then get the lip painted afterwards.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I got an amazing offer I can't refuse on a Hamann front lip for the replica M5 bumper which included not having to buy it from Umnitza which also sealed the deal. Nevertheless, my problem is clearance. As you can see in the pictures below the M5 bumper sweeps back a bit and actually dips lower from front to back. In other words, the front fins are slightly higher than the back closest to the wheel. First pic shows a clearance of 6". Back by the wheel shows a clearance of 5.5".

What I want to know is just how thick the Hamann lip is and how much lower it is going to make the front? I'm assuming I won't be able to go over any sort of speed bumps again... If the lip adds 2" total or more, this might be pretty dangerous. My car is already pretty low with the H&R sport springs and no passengers in it!

But damn, it would look so much meaner with a lip!

How thick does this look to you? (P.S. - My car will look exactly like this in 2 weeks if I do it, mirrors and all!)
Howitzer,
I have the rep hamann M5 lip also till this past week when i rear ended someone, but let me tell you my car wasnt lowereed and it still scrapes with 20's. The ground clearance isnt much with stock suspension not sport package either. Maybe this will kind give you an idea. I dont currently have the car or els i would measure the considerable difference in the clearance with mine so you can get an general idea. OEM M5 bumper and Hartge splitter here i come
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

there's so much clearance!!!! My 545 had much less. U have no worries!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributors

I have the same problem as well ... Mine is so low that if I stick my foot right in the center of the lip, the top of my foot hits it.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributors

This is also my main issue for not installing my Hamann rep lip that I've owned for almost a year now. Especially since I'm relatively low right now, having the lip is going to be disastrous. At my current ride height I barely clear cement blocks at the front of parking spaces. There have been numerous times when I come out from parking and realize I'm exactly above the block!!! not even a finger gap either... if I had a lip it would be game over.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

You hear that Joe, lol, that's why I won't lower my car, hahaha.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
You hear that Joe, lol, that's why I won't lower my car, hahaha.
LOL, but have you noticed that NO ONE completed their comments by saying "and then we decided to raise the car back up." Not 1 Simon, not one.. I'm actually still going to put the lip on... LOL! just need to get it painted..one of these days..
Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Contributors

What if I installed Eibach Pro springs and sold my H&R Sport springs? I'd gain about .5" ride height, right?

Quick Reply: My M5-Lip Dilema. Hamann Ground Clearance