E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My M5 front bumper project.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x
Thumbs up

As the topic states....I'm in the process of installing a OEM M5 front bumper on my E60. I chose the M5 front due to its clean and aggressive look.

What I want to do is let everyone know what is involved in installing an M5 bumper on a regular E60. I've read thread after thread regarding this same topic but with no clear cut answers on what is required to fit the bumper "properly".

Keep in mind I'm having issues properly fitting this bumper...I might sound frustrated at times but that's due to the loss of time and money that's going into this project

A little background first...I bought a used black sapphire OEM front bumper via eBay which if it wasn't for the great deal I would of eventually bought it from quad_m.

My first mistake was downplaying the PDC issue. The front bumper came with PDC holes...I do not have PDC.
I figured what the hell I'm going to have the bumper painted why not just have my body shop fill these holes before it was painted. A good idea but in the end cost was an issue...for some reason filling pdc holes requires a lot of work for body shops...the labor cost was outrageous. I decided to find some used/new/ PDC sensors on my own to fill the holes. Which in the end will cost 1/4th of what it would of to have them filled by a body shop.

The front bumper arrived on 11/16/06. I was eager to get it installed and painted before the holidays. The first chance I had I removed my front bumper and compared the fitment and parts needed for the M5 bumper. First issue was the air ducts...they are not a direct fit nor are they the same diameter as the M5 air ducts..with some work I can see how they can be modified to fit. I'm still in the process of correcting this issue. (**I will post comparison images later**)

The test fitment also made it clear the fenders on my E60 will not directly match the M5 front bumper...which was expected. What I didn't expect was the difference...I have more than a 10mm difference. Recent threads reported that the 10mm gap would not an issue for any decent body shop. Which I agreed with.

I decided to take my E60 to a high-end body shop ( AutoRecon ) which routinely works on BMW/MBZ/Ferraris/Lambos which they had a few there when I dropped my E60 off.

I sat down with the body shop estimator and let him know everything I need done and emphasized the fender gap issue. I let them know others have done this mod and it is possible. They stated it shouldn't be an issue fitting/repairing/matching the fenders.

Two days later I called for a status on the work being done...I was told they are having issues with the fenders I did appreciate the fact they were trying their best to make it work...they also called BMW which gave them the expected answer from BMWNA "its requires the M5 side fenders to fit". I was running out of time as it was Wednesday 11/22/06, I did not want my E60 in the shop for the long holiday weekend.

With the help of RPAV who had this mod successfully done on his 545 E60...I informed my body shop that Holmes body shop of Riverside has done this mod and if they give them a call to get an idea of what needed to be done. Holmes body shop stated that yes they have done this mod but they replaced the side fenders with M5 side fenders along with the M5 front bumper. I have yet to confirm with Rpav is this was done.

In turn I was given that answer from my body shop...that I will need M5 side fenders along with my M5 front to fit properly....they tried unsuccessfully to fit my stock fenders with the M5 front. At this point I was frustrated and asked to fit what they could and have my E60 ready for pickup.

That's where I stand right now (11/23/06). I have a freshly painted jet black M5 front bumper on my E60 with fenders not aligned.

I need to confirm with Rpav if his body shop replaced his side fenders. If not I'll most likely take my E60 to Holmes and see if they can correct the fender issue.

Another option would be to order M5 side fenders but at $400.00 a piece that's out of the question.

My total cost so far this project is $925.00.

If anyone has any recommendations or ideas please let me know

updated with pics:

My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1398.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1388.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1389.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1391.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1392.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1390.jpg
My M5 front bumper project.-dscn1393.jpg
Old 11-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

You could opt for the non-pdc m-tech version I bought by mistake - its sitting at RJs paintshop in Pleasanton. It may not be exactly what youre looking for; however, it might be a way to compromise your situation...this way you could sell your M5 bumper to someone ready for the fender cost and still get that M5 look.

They arent mine anymore - I gave them to the shop, but I think that he would likely be pretty good with the pricing so you might end up even after all of the dust settles.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='359822' date='Nov 23 2006, 02:03 PM
You could opt for the non-pdc m-tech version I bought by mistake - its sitting at RJs paintshop in Pleasanton. It may not be exactly what youre looking for; however, it might be a way to compromise your situation...this way you could sell your M5 bumper to someone ready for the fender cost and still get that M5 look.

They arent mine anymore - I gave them to the shop, but I think that he would likely be pretty good with the pricing so you might end up even after all of the dust settles.

Good luck!

That has crossed my mind...much less hassle/work going with M-tech. This front bumper is nearing the price of an entire primed m-tech kit

I'll keep RJ's in mind..thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Members

Oh yeah, I have the same problem. Recently I converted my front to OEM M5 front. Did not fit, the front bumper is about an inch short. Try everything in the book to make it fit. No success. Only to change the side fenders to M5. I don't want to do it, so return to dealer and got M-technic front. The rear M5 bumper works find on non M5.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by daytrader0' post='359911' date='Nov 23 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh yeah, I have the same problem. Recently I converted my front to OEM M5 front. Did not fit, the front bumper is about an inch short. Try everything in the book to make it fit. No success. Only to change the side fenders to M5. I don't want to do it, so return to dealer and got M-technic front. The rear M5 bumper works find on non M5.
the rear changes in the M5 are all hidden under the fender well so yes the M5 rear end works fine for the standard e60.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Busta,
I read rpav's thread about his M5 front bumper installation. I do remember him mentioning that one side fender is a M5 fender and the other stock e60. The reason is b/c a contractor working on his house somehow messed up one side fender of his 545i. I hope rpav will chime in and confirm.

I was always under the impression that the M5 front bumper needed M5 side fenders to fit properly, then a few members here popped up stating that they successfully installed the M5 front without the side fenders. I had always thought that 10mm per side would be a problem for a body shop to compensate. You are proving that theory out. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you can successfully install the M5 front. Would very much like to see it at the Wheel Power Socal Meet and Greet.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Will rolling the fenders, allow for the 10mm difference on each side? I have no experience with rolling fenders, so this is a real newbie question. But I think that if you roll your fenders, then the fender might come out 10 or less mm each side maybe, thats why the others were able to fit the M5 on stock fenders?? i'm not sure if rolling fenders change the shape of the fenders?? can anyone chime in on this?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

busta, i really do beleive that the bumper can be adjusted to fit the fenders. if i roll out to south coast or something maybe we could meet up and you can take a look at mine. judging from the pics maybe something can be used to bring the bumper in to line up with the fenders. dont give up just yet
Old 11-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

looking at the sixth picture it looks like a bolt or screw is missing that would hold the bumper in
Old 11-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

I was also planning to put on the m5 front end on my 545i. I was frustrated with my hamann add-on for my stock bumper. It was too flimsy. So I was going to put the m5 front cuz it had a better and strong hamann add-on. But now Hamann just made the add-on on the m-tech front. I think it looks just as good as the m5 w/ add-on. But.......I know the m5 front looks better if it didnt have add-ons. But with add-on lip....M-tech actually looks better since it has fog-lights.

Check it out:
My M5 front bumper project.-cl162.jpg

Quick Reply: My M5 front bumper project.