E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this mod, but I want to know if it has any disadvantage. How is it compared( to adding an exhaust, )an rpi for example. This is for an 05 545 FYI .
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I have the same car as you and have done both. I first did a muffler delete and loved the sound. It even felt like I gained a few horses but in reality I probably loss some power. Our v8s need proper back pressure for optimal performance. I eventually went with a RPI exhaust and I'm glad I did. It has a deep tone but not excessively loud. It sounds aggressive when you want it to (sport mode at WOT)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizen
I have the same car as you and have done both. I first did a muffler delete and loved the sound. It even felt like I gained a few horses but in reality I probably loss some power. Our v8s need proper back pressure for optimal performance. I eventually went with a RPI exhaust and I'm glad I did. It has a deep tone but not excessively loud. It sounds aggressive when you want it to (sport mode at WOT)
How did you conclude the v8's need proper back pressure for optimal performance? All I know is that the numbers on the dyno kept going up and up the more we started removing exhaust components.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Sup man! How's the ESS running? Did you ever get a chance to adjust it for the proper boost? Also, Alex and I were looking forward to seeing you down in Oregon for a few of the meets this past summer. Maybe next year?

In reality, I have no numbers to post or explanations. You probably have much more experience and valuable knowledge to share regarding this matter. I'm just referring to what may be old or misinformed information. I was always told that removing the exhaust would hinder performance on N/As, especially V8s but not for turbos. Anyone care to clarify?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Members

To kaizen, was there any droning when you had this delete done?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also did this, but i deleted the resonators too and installed an xpipe and did a dual exhaust with quad tips. It sounds amazing and everyone loves it. It is however VERY loud. Although at night when im pulling into my neighborhood if i keep it under 2300 rpm its fine, quiet enough not to wake up anyone. There is a bit of droning i think, but minimal. Sounds amazing inside non the less.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jund
To kaizen, was there any droning when you had this delete done?
There was minimal drone, but nothing over the top. Sometimes I do miss the sound. It was loud and very "attention getting" when you want it to.

Last edited by Kaizen; 10-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Members

Unhappy

Just got back from a local muffler shop and they told me that it may not be a good idea to delete the muffler, that it may affect the computer due to lack of back pressure. He suggested resonator delete instead. I searched YouTube and found one and it did not sound good at all.
Any members here done resonator delete on 545?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jund
Just got back from a local muffler shop and they told me that it may not be a good idea to delete the muffler, that it may affect the computer due to lack of back pressure. He suggested resonator delete instead. I searched YouTube and found one and it did not sound good at all.
Any members here done resonator delete on 545?
you wont have any problems with deleting the mufflers. computer wont notice a change.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Any sound clips of a muffler delete?

Quick Reply: Muffler delete