E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MTech Kit Fender Gap Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to resolve the infamous hood/bumper gap issues? It doesn't seem as tight as it should be.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

Here is the answer to your issue.

Link:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12675&hl=
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

I saw the reply you received addressing the gap issue, and it seemed to be right on the money, the accompanying photos show what appears to be an excellent install, HOWEVER, (and maybe I am just being naive) BUT, I believe that if I purchase a FACTORY MANUFACTURED bumper (or any other part for that matter) it should fit exactly like the part that it is replacing without the use of extra washers, spacers, cutting, trimming, or prayers to MAKE it fit properly. I am contemplating purchasing the MTech for my car as well, and I am hoping that I will not have to go through this. I am something of a perfectionist, and a self described car nut, and I believe that if you have to experiment with something like this, then there is always the possibility that it might not look the way it was intended. It SHOULD be plug-n-play, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the chang' post='484865
I saw the reply you received addressing the gap issue, and it seemed to be right on the money, the accompanying photos show what appears to be an excellent install, HOWEVER, (and maybe I am just being naive) BUT, I believe that if I purchase a FACTORY MANUFACTURED bumper (or any other part for that matter) it should fit exactly like the part that it is replacing without the use of extra washers, spacers, cutting, trimming, or prayers to MAKE it fit properly. I am contemplating purchasing the MTech for my car as well, and I am hoping that I will not have to go through this. I am something of a perfectionist, and a self described car nut, and I believe that if you have to experiment with something like this, then there is always the possibility that it might not look the way it was intended. It SHOULD be plug-n-play, but that's just my opinion.
I think that BMW's approach to putting this kit together was to include with the kit whatever parts could not be modified and have the installer modify the pieces that can be modified (cut off). For example in the installation instructions they tell you to trim the OEM fender liners and show you in pictures where and how much to trim. The M-Tech bumpers have a different contour and if installed at the factory they come with different fender liners than E60's with the standard bumpers. Also, the foam pieces that I trimmed to make the brackets fit flush are different (with different part numbers) for cars that come with the M-Tech bumpers from the factory. So instead of including 4 new fender liners and 2 new shock absorber foams they just have you cut the originals to make it work. I have to say that I agree with this approach because there are WAY too many parts that are included in the GIANT M-Kit boxes, I wouldn't want any more parts added to it. Besides, if they added those parts that would make the kit a couple of hundred dollars more expensive.

So for me the problem isn't that BMW expects some trimming of different parts to make the bumpers fit correctly, the problem is that while in the installation instructions they did include pictures and instructions on how to cut the fender liners, there wasn't anything mentioned about the cutting the foam to let the brackets sit flush. It is common sense and I should have just cut the foam to begin with, but I didn't want to do it without trying the bumper on first (since it wasn't in the instructions).

The issue with adding more washers at the top to reduce the gap even more was more an issue with my car. For everyone else (as far as I know) cutting the foam alone has been sufficient to reduce the gap and they had no need to install washers/spacers.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Are the foam pieces necessary? I believe EuroRev just removed them completely.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='485264' date='Oct 23 2007, 08:52 PM
It seems like JetBlack5OC has already posted a link to my instructions/methods of fixing the gap. You can start with just trimming the foam to get the brackets to sit flush and then re-install the bumper. If that does not fix the problem completely then install the washers (you don't have to remove the bumper again to install the washers, just look at the pics and follow the directions).

I think that BMW's approach to putting this kit together was to include with the kit whatever parts could not be modified and have the installer modify the pieces that can be modified (cut off). For example in the installation instructions they tell you to trim the OEM fender liners and show you in pictures where and how much to trim. The M-Tech bumpers have a different contour and if installed at the factory they come with different fender liners than E60's with the standard bumpers. Also, the foam pieces that I trimmed to make the brackets fit flush are different (with different part numbers) for cars that come with the M-Tech bumpers from the factory. So instead of including 4 new fender liners and 2 new shock absorber foams they just have you cut the originals to make it work. I have to say that I agree with this approach because there are WAY too many parts that are included in the GIANT M-Kit boxes, I wouldn't want any more parts added to it. Besides, if they added those parts that would make the kit a couple of hundred dollars more expensive.

So for me the problem isn't that BMW expects some trimming of different parts to make the bumpers fit correctly, the problem is that while in the installation instructions they did include pictures and instructions on how to cut the fender liners, there wasn't anything mentioned about the cutting the foam to let the brackets sit flush. It is common sense and I should have just cut the foam to begin with, but I didn't want to do it without trying the bumper on first (since it wasn't in the instructions).

The issue with adding more washers at the top to reduce the gap even more was more an issue with my car. For everyone else (as far as I know) cutting the foam alone has been sufficient to reduce the gap and they had no need to install washers/spacers.
NOW I UNDERSTAND what's going on here! You see, in my mind, I was thinking this mod was simply about SWAPPING one oem bumper for another, but it's not that simple. Due to the fact that the Mtech bumper was designed to mate to fenders that have SLIGHTLY different deminsions than those of the standard e60 fenders, there will be some slight tweaking necessary to make the Mtech bumpers mate with the standard e60 fenders, thereby eliminating any misalignment issues between fenders, bumpers, hood, trunk, and quarters (no gaps). Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if most bodyshop techs will readilly know how to address this issue when they are confronted with it?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the chang' post='485620' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:59 PM
Are the foam pieces necessary? I believe EuroRev just removed them completely.

Thanks
Those foam pieces are ABSOLUTELY necessary. They are part of the shock absorbing system of the car. At the very least missing foams will cause much greater damage to the bumper in case of an accident.......and it could also cause much more damage to everything behind the bumper and even harm the occupants more if they are missing. However, if I remember correctly it would be very hard for the car to support the bumper if the foam pieces are not there. I don't even know if the bumper would stay on the car withouth the foam pieces supporting the weight. So I doubt that they would have removed them completely,........unless they bought and used the foam pieces that were specifically designed to be used with the M-tech bumper (they are installed at the factory on E60's with the M-Sport Package). These foam pieces do not come with the M-Kit, so if they replaced the original foam pieces with these then they must have purchased them separately.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='485653' date='Oct 24 2007, 01:45 PM
NOW I UNDERSTAND what's going on here! You see, in my mind, I was thinking this mod was simply about SWAPPING one oem bumper for another, but it's not that simple. Due to the fact that the Mtech bumper was designed to mate to fenders that have SLIGHTLY different dimensions than those of the standard e60 fenders, there will be some slight tweaking necessary to make the Mtech bumpers mate with the standard e60 fenders, thereby eliminating any misalignment issues between fenders, bumpers, hood, trunk, and quarters (no gaps). Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if most bodyshop techs will readilly know how to address this issue when they are confronted with it?
Actually it's the plastic fender liners that are different on cars with M-Tech bumpers, NOT the fenders themselves. The fenders are only different on the M5's. So in a way it is sort of like swapping one oem bumper for another, however, the new oem bumper has slightly different parts that are fit under/around it. For this reason they include all the pieces that can NOT be modified and have the installer modify the pieces that can be modified (cut).
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='485733' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:13 PM
Actually it's the plastic fender liners that are different on cars with M-Tech bumpers, NOT the fenders themselves. The fenders are only different on the M5's. So in a way it is sort of like swapping one oem bumper for another, however, the new oem bumper has slightly different parts that are fit under/around it. For this reason they include all the pieces that can NOT be modified and have the installer modify the pieces that can be modified (cut).
are detailed instructions included with the kit on exactly where to cut and how much, or do they assume that the installer will be knowledgeable and experienced enough to know how to make the parts fit properly? so that the car looks like it just came from the factory?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='486121' date='Oct 25 2007, 02:48 PM
are detailed instructions included with the kit on exactly where to cut and how much, or do they assume that the installer will be knowledgeable and experienced enough to know how to make the parts fit properly? so that the car looks like it just came from the factory?
Here's a link to the M Aero Kit Installation Instructions: >>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<

One thing to know is that these instructions do refer you to other TIS documents that you need to get from your dealer or someone on the forum who has access to a relatively new version of the TIS CD, or online TIS. For example, you will see on page 6 of the main instructions that it lists a bunch of tasks with their corresponding TIS number (e.g. Removal of Front Bumper Trim ......TIS no. 51 11 156). You would need to get TIS number 51 11 156 in order to know how to remove the front bumper trim/cover as these instructions are NOT included with the main document in the link above. I think one or two forum members have access to TIS online, you may want to post a thread with the needed TIS numbers and see if anyone can get the documents for you. Of coarse, you can always have your dealer's parts dept. print them out for you too......that's what I did.

The Installation instructions are not perfect. There were a couple of things that they neglected to mention and a couple of things that were not correct, but as a whole it is very useful.

Quick Reply: MTech Kit Fender Gap Issues