E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MTEC Front Bumper - Fitting a secondhand one

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008 | 03:07 AM
Members

Folks,

I have been debating for some time if I should purchase the entire kit from the dealer or purchase second hand parts from ebay and fit the kit bit by bit.

The thing that has put me off buying the ebay parts, although there are good deals to be had is that the front bumper is usually missing the lower grill, upper grills, and fog surrounds.

My questions would be as follows...

1. How much is the lower grill likely to cost from the dealer.
2. Will the upper grills from the existing bumper fit the new one.
3. Do I just need the fog light surrounds / backplate to fit my existing fogs or do I need to go out and buy the fogs from the dealer as well ?
4. The screws and fittings that are used to secure the existing bumper, can these be re-used for the mtec bumper ? Or is there a pack I can purchase from the dealer separate from the actual bumper ?

Not sure if anyone can really answer the above, but if you can I would appreciate the skinny !

best rgs. p.
Old 07-03-2008 | 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bauderline' post='615203' date='Jul 3 2008, 12:07 PM
Folks,

I have been debating for some time if I should purchase the entire kit from the dealer or purchase second hand parts from ebay and fit the kit bit by bit.

The thing that has put me off buying the ebay parts, although there are good deals to be had is that the front bumper is usually missing the lower grill, upper grills, and fog surrounds.

My questions would be as follows...

1. How much is the lower grill likely to cost from the dealer.
2. Will the upper grills from the existing bumper fit the new one.
3. Do I just need the fog light surrounds / backplate to fit my existing fogs or do I need to go out and buy the fogs from the dealer as well ?
4. The screws and fittings that are used to secure the existing bumper, can these be re-used for the mtec bumper ? Or is there a pack I can purchase from the dealer separate from the actual bumper ?

Not sure if anyone can really answer the above, but if you can I would appreciate the skinny !

best rgs. p.
1. Not sure but look to spend around 80 USD for a 3 grills pieces.
2. If its the kidney grills that you are talking about then I believe they are the same.
3. You will need completely new fog lights.
4. You cannot reused much and infact need quite a long list of parts to get the M Tech bumper to work.

I did think about this option at first and infact bought the rear bumper of ebay too. But then decided against it considering the separate costs. The problem is that its a kit when bought together from the dealer and hence costs less but if you buy the parts separately then they are spares which are more expensive.