E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Mounting electrical Tow-Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished my Westfalia install

It was not difficult but took me an entire weekend. I work slow and double checked everything. THe hardest parts were finding the wires behind the rear seat for brake light and switch-on. Also, the USA bumper reinforcement does not fit on top of the westfalia tow bar. Rather than leave it off (and the bumper without internal support). I cut away the inner panel of the US bumper reinforcement bar. Then it fit onto the Westfalia tow bar, but only 2 of the 4 hex nuts. With more effort I think it would be no problem to fabricate an attachement for the other 2 nuts. However, I think 2 of four will be enough to hold on the bumper. I used some red locking compound on the 2 nuts so it will not come loose. This will help protect the bumper cover from getting cracked when lightly hit (Boston-style parking is done with very heavy bumping).

My only strong disappointment is that the detachable goose neck does not fit into the tow-bar space designed into the foam spare tire spacer. It's clear it is designed to hold some type of towing goose neck, just not the Westfalia part. Had I known this in advance, I would have tried harder to find the correct tow bar kit.

I am getting a Euro 7 pin to USA 4 pin adapter from Trailer Connector - 7-Way European Round To Flat-4 Conversion Plug / Harness - Land Rover trailer wiring kits & harnesses from Atlantic British