E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Motorola V3 RAZR cradle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I went out on a seven hour drive this past weekend with my RAZR V3 fully charged and with BT connected all the time. I was surprised that around the sixth hour of driving, the cell phone was discharged, seems like BT draws a lot of juice out of the battery.
I'm thinking of getting me the car charger but I would rather wait if there will ever be a cradle for this cell phone. So much for the wireless feature....
Old 04-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:10 AM
I went out on a seven hour drive this past weekend with my RAZR V3 fully charged and with BT connected all the time. I was surprised that around the sixth hour of driving, the cell phone was discharged, seems like BT draws a lot of juice out of the battery.
I'm thinking of getting me the car charger but I would rather wait if there will ever be a cradle for this cell phone. So much for the wireless feature....
[snapback]117653[/snapback]
My service center claims that a cradle is available, but they have been wrong before. They are looking for part numbers right now. I will post when I get a response.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:17 AM
[quote name='Wiu-Bimmer' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:10 AM']I went out on a seven hour drive this past weekend with my RAZR V3 fully charged and with BT connected all the time. I was surprised that around the sixth hour of driving, the cell phone was discharged, seems like BT draws a lot of juice out of the battery.
[snapback]117653[/snapback]
My service center claims that a cradle is available, but they have been wrong before. They are looking for part numbers right now. I will post when I get a response.
[snapback]117657[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank you pharding,
I remember your thread about the BT retrofit, it was very helpful.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

is a cradle neccessary for bt... or is it just a loading dock .... coz i would rather use the space as storage
Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:58 AM
is a cradle neccessary for bt... or is it just a loading dock .... coz i would rather use the space as storage
[snapback]117670[/snapback]
Cradle not necessary with BT phone, but with one you have charging, and improved reception since it connects to the shark fin.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

Originally Posted by stream' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:05 AM
[quote name='ericdbs' date='Apr 20 2005, 08:58 AM']is a cradle neccessary for bt... or is it just a loading dock .... coz i would rather use the space as storage
[snapback]117670[/snapback]
Cradle not necessary with BT phone, but with one you have charging, and improved reception since it connects to the shark fin.
[snapback]117676[/snapback]
[/quote]

ahhh makes sense.. thanks stream
Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have my doubts about a RAZR cradle being available. The handset has just a small USB recepticle which would make docking really hard. I have a phone charger plugged in here.
Motorola V3 RAZR cradle-2004manual_5series_page_102_image_0004.jpg
The other end is fed into the glove box from behind. I only plug the phone in there on really long drives.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There is no RAZR cradle, and there never will be.

The way you can tell is because the RAZR charge plug is a small USB plug on the side of the phone. There would be no way to snap the RAZR into a cradle and charge because you have to physically plug in the phone to charge it.

Look at a Motorola V600, for example. It has metal contacts on the bottom of the phone. These contacts allow the phone to charge when in contact with a cradle. But you do not have to physically insert a plug to make the metal contacts work.

This is not true of the RAZR.

There is no Motorola desktop cradle made for the RAZR, either. This is another telltale sign. If they can't offer a desktop cradle for a phone, then they won't make a BMW cradle.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I don't really see the necessity for one. On a long trip, you have to take the phone out of pocket to put in the cradle anyway, why not just hook up a charger and leave it put and allow the bluetooth to work. I understand a for the integration/clean look. I understand it for non-bluetooth applications, but I don't think its necessary for the RAZR...just MHO.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Contributors

I got the Motorola V600 and the BT just sucks the power right out of the batteries. It seems to be a common problem. I have the phone configured in a way that BT is always on/on-standby. That way, when you enter the car and start the engine the phone and the car pair instantly. But on the negative side, my phone is discharged after just 24-36 hours, even if it is lying at home on a table and not paired with anything.

If I turn the BT power-mode off, then the battery lasts easily 4-5 days.

:'(

Quick Reply: Motorola V3 RAZR cradle