E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A motor goes round but what goes back and forth

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

This is a very general question but I'm hoping there are some technical folks on the forum who can help.

I'm after a 12V DC device that moves back and forth like a drawer. e.g. when I supply voltage it will slide forward and backwards depending on polarity. I know that things like CD drives tray etc move back and forth but those things actually use a motor on a screw that pushes the tray in or out. Is there anything else I can look at. Its amazingly difficult to find something especially when you don't know the technical name for them.

P.S. if you are going to say solenoid then that is too fast for my need, I need something more graceful like say the motorised aerials.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='692835' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:57 PM
This is a very general question but I'm hoping there are some technical folks on the forum who can help.

I'm after a 12V DC device that moves back and forth like a drawer. e.g. when I supply voltage it will slide forward and backwards depending on polarity. I know that things like CD drives tray etc move back and forth but those things actually use a motor on a screw that pushes the tray in or out. Is there anything else I can look at. Its amazingly difficult to find something especially when you don't know the technical name for them.

P.S. if you are going to say solenoid then that is too fast for my need, I need something more graceful like say the motorised aerials.
You're looking for a Linear actuator...

Something like this

http://www.techline.linak.com/Produc...figurator.aspx
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Whats this project for?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='692839' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:59 PM
You're looking for a Linear actuator...

Something like this

http://www.techline.linak.com/Produc...figurator.aspx
And even all of those are still rotary gear activated. If you're wanting to avoid the use of gears, you might want to look into a mini hydraulic/pneumatic pump. Just a thought. And even that still uses gears to pump the fluid/air. Your only way to avoid the use of gears whatsoever is to use a magnetic device of some sort. And unless you're some sort of MacGuyver or Rube Goldberg, I hope you have deep pockets!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I'm actually trying to build an all around camera system for the car but instead of using a camera mounted in the mirrors I was thinking of mounting them under the side skirts but have them come out when I need them only. Because it will look kindda stupid with things sticking out from the side of the car.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='692927' date='Oct 14 2008, 12:14 PM
I'm actually trying to build an all around camera system for the car but instead of using a camera mounted in the mirrors I was thinking of mounting them under the side skirts but have them come out when I need them only. Because it will look kindda stupid with things sticking out from the side of the car.
Ever the inventor eh Bruce, good luck mate
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

What about a Lego Pneumatic pump?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='692927' date='Oct 14 2008, 03:14 PM
Nice idea but wouldn't having them down there make them much more susceptible to spray and damage?

Some linear actuators are linear electric motors, like an electric motor unwrapped and laid out flat. However most high torque actuators are gear driven like a screw based garage door opener. I couldn't find any examples of the linear electric motors quickly but you will probably find these to be low torque devices probably enough for what you need though.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Contributors

perhaps a rc cars servos?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='692835' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:57 AM

Bruce,

Doesnt RS Componants stock what your after, their technical guys are usually pretty good at this type of thing?

By the way, OEM LCI Lights cost me ?400.00 for the M5 they work a treat thank you