E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Mods that are dealer/warranty friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a decent list of mods to a car that are considered to be dealer and warranty friendly? I've searched some and haven't found a good thread on this on any forum so far. I understand that you can technically do whatever you want and not void your warranty and a dealer would technical have to be able to prove a particular mod you made was an actual contributing factor to any issue you have but.. let's put that technicality aside.

- What are things that are definitely not an issue?

- What are things that are definitely an issue?

I'm curious what simple or even advanced changes don't have to make you sweat when you go to dealer or need to be removed (assuming plenty of warranty left). Some kind of fall in between right? Dinan ECU upgrades might violate your warranty but Dinan picks up the factory warranty during this time. How about changing your exhaust? What about intake modifications? I assume things like changing your wheels don't matter. How about lowering your car / changing dampers / similar? What have you guys that had a lot of warranty left when you did some mods do?

If this has all been asked any answered and I've not come across it.. do tell me to get lost and point me to those threads.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Seriously, this should be simple enough. Anything that you can reverse easily should be dealer-ok.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Seriously, this should be simple enough. Anything that you can reverse easily should be dealer-ok.
That's kind of the point. I don't want to reverse anything.. stuff that can be done that you can take into the dealer. I'm not going to change my rims each time I go into the dealer, but I'd assume that's not something that's an issue. I'm not going to take off my tint when I go to the dealer, which I also assume is not an issue. What is an issue and what isn't? What things aren't an issue only when you go through the stealer to have them done? For example, my local dealer is a Dinan authorized install location, so I'd imagine I can have Dinan ECU flash and exhaust put on without issues. What if I just want some other brand exhaust? Is adding a strut bar a big deal? I've been doing a bunch of reading and this all isn't abundantly clear to me..
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I modded my car(M3) when it had about 500 miles on it. Wheels, suspension, pulley, full cat-less exhaust, tune etc. and have not had a single problem with the dealer.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

You need to find a friendly shop. Take to the sa. Ask him what he thinks about certain mods you'd like to do feel him out. I'd only ask to get a phone call before they plug my car into the mother ship.