E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Modding for Show - or for Go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both, show for the ladies, go for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
I mod my car so when I roll six deep with my nigs, urrrybudy clears the path

LOL

At the moment my man focus is show and a little go. I say "at the moment" because I'm in no financial position to be purchasing a 8k+supercharger and LSD, and to tell you the truth, I don't think it will ever really happen. I think my car has enough balls to satisfy my driving habits and keep up with the cars I decide to hang with so that is good enough for me. I'm pretty sure I'll continue to keep modding my car cosmetically to either keep up with the time or simply make it look better. (after all it's almost 8 years old)

I respect you for your vision and quest to only improve the looks of your car only if it is not detrimental to performance, but the route you take on is simply not conducive to those who have less $ to play around with.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by west
After headers I will blow the engine and continue reverse-engineering the software. I'd eventually like to have the engine re-built to better specs with better parts. A slight overbore, forged rods, pistons, shaved crank, flywheel and/or pulley would be nice. Beyond that, probably just lighten the car. Nothing too hardcore. Still want to be able to drive it on weekends, have real glass windows, and be able to have both of the front doors open and close.
Hardcore stuff, you're a real tuner I may one day want to do something like this, possibly allout, but in that case I think it will be a dedicated track car. Doing such a thorough job because you love the challenge and want to be a part of the build, rather than just buy it ready off the shelf, is awesome. More power to you. If I get started on the real stuff, I'll definetely take a thorough look at what you've done.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Reading this thread now, I realize that my mods are all show LOL
Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Some very sensible comments as far as I'm concerned. I note you also ponder CF bodyparts; what's the driver there?
Rationale being weight reduction. But after looking at some of the other posts here, I think I'll just throw in the towel for now hahaha

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
I mod my car so when I roll six deep with my nigs, urrrybudy clears the path
Like a man!

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a Modding for Go guy.

The e60 is a great sedan within it's price range. It looks good, is not too big or too small, has elements of luxury, and isn't so specific with it's design goals that it couldn't be adapted for cruising, speed, or entertainment purposes. In short, I think it's a great platform from which to start modding.

I really wanted the top non-M model in it's class, either 5 or 3 series. I was stuck between the 335 and the 550- couldn't decide on which one to go with. In either case, I wanted to build an "M fast" (or faster than M) car, but I definately wanted to build something unique. A non-M fit the role perfectly. I knew that the modding-for-performance trail on a non-M might allow me to encounter more engineering challenges than an M because it's less likely that performance parts will be built for a non-M than an M, but that excited me. For me, the more hands-on engineering and one-off custom parts, the more fun.

To answer the question about why not start with a car more geared for speed or performance, I'll speak for myself:

There is really only one "fastest" or "best handling" car, literally. To me, the challenge of making *a car you like to begin with* go as fast as you can make it seems much more enjoyable than trying to rank against cars in other classes. For me it didn't take long to accept that there will always be a faster car. I've only started, but I'm having a ton of fun building my non-M car and making if faster and more unique. There will be a day when it will run as fast or faster than an e60 M5, and that's ok with me. It's also ok with me that it cost me more to build it than as if I had just bought the e60 M5, but for me it's the journey that matters. Also sort of cool to end up with a unique build in the process. Hopefully there are others on this forum who understand my not-so-common rationale.
ahm, I'm gonna go cry into a pillow now LOL this is some serious friggin moddage taking place

Thank you, and thank you for providing the venue to express that vision.

The build includes handling bits as well as power bits. My current bits consist of basic bolt-ons so far until I can find a garage to do the "real" modding:

(For handling)
- KW Coilovers
- Brembo Big Brake Kit
- Color matched CF Trunk (~20 lbs lighter)
- Quaife Limited Slip Differential
- Lightweight battery (~30 lbs lighter)
- Lightweight exhaust (~50 lbs lighter)
- Forged wheels (lighter)
- Runflat's delete (lighter)

(For power)
- Dinan dual intake (charcoal filter delete)
- Dual RPI Air Scoops
- Aftermarket Exhaust
- Headers are supposedly in the mail...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Not too many go-fast mods for my car (545i), RPi scoop, charcoal filter removed, resonator-delete and sprint booster is what I have done. However most of my recent and upcoming mods are cosmetic. My engine rebuild has put my RPi exhaust on hold for now. But I always look for new go-fast mods that wont break the bank. With all that being said I think looks would be 1st since this car is SORTA fast as is
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian

Haha. You're emoticons are killing me. Cheers.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Doing such a thorough job because you love the challenge and want to be a part of the build, rather than just buy it ready off the shelf, is awesome.
I agree. The software reversing alone has been such a journey. I often reverse-engineer x64/x86 but the DME's in our cars are PPC architecture. Challenging and fun.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

I mod purely for Internet groupies / haters.