E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Mini mac inside E60 - potential concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I want (dreaming a little). I want email and net access on my screen. I've been driving around with a lap top and the screen sucks in the daylight and when I take a turn ... watch out. I could mount the laptop and get one with a better screen ... but here is my idea

First - assume that navwithtv or some other "aux video input" works.

2nd - mount a mac mini ($725 - optioned) under dash. Route video and aux in. Put in my wireless broadband connection ($50 a month here for unlimited at 750 kb/s - not bad).

3rd - get bluetooth mouse and keyboard - available now from apple. Stow behind passenger seat and pull out when needed.

4th - (and 1st potential issue) - 12V power supply (with enough juice) for the Mac mini. I am guessing someone will make a supply but will it draw too much power?

Other potential issues. Bluetooth conflict with phone? Anyone know? I assume that you can have multiple bluetooth devices running around the same area as long as they aren't paired to each other. I just don't know much about bluetooth...

Also - the Idrive screen is not standard ratio. I assume the output of a mac can go to widescreen - it has to, Apple sells widescreens. But what type of input do you get with the NavwithTV or comparable options??? It says RGB which should work with an adaptor

The end result would be DVD playback, email/net access (with a mouse on center console), Ipod like MP3 playback but songtitles on the Idrive screen and up to 80gb hard drive and more flexibility, potential to add GPS if you didn't have Nav (I do), Menu look up on the internet when calling in take out on way home from work, etc etc...

It would be nice to hack into the Idrive knob but that will take years I suspect. If only the gave all 3 series Idrive, we would have enough volume to get someone to build this. There might be a market if BMW doesn't get with Apple to nake the Ipod work with Idrive in the 3....

Now cold weather and the vibrations might make the poor thing crap out but I am willing to try it...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

TurboDman put a Windows XP system into his car. You can see pictures right here. (To see a description of the install, scroll around the thread for posts by TurboDman.)
Old 02-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

sounds nice, but too much work for something that probably would not work in the end, but why not just wait a little while longer...

BMW will soon be offering a feature called BMW Online, which has email and net access via iDrive...it is being offered first in the new E90 3series, but sure to make it to all models before long

also, BMW is currently working with Apple to offer a BMW iPod that conntects via bluetooth and fully functional within iDrive

all the other stuff it too complicated to bother with especially when iDrive will probably fail when you try to connect all those peripherals...

the best advice it to just wait (im)patiently, like me
Old 02-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 08:35 AM
sounds nice, but too much work for something that probably would not work in the end, but why not just wait a little while longer...

BMW will soon be offering a feature called BMW Online, which has email and net access via iDrive...it is being offered first in the new E90 3series, but sure to make it to all models before long

also, BMW is currently working with Apple to offer a BMW iPod that conntects via bluetooth and fully functional within iDrive

all the other stuff it too complicated to bother with especially when iDrive will probably fail when you try to connect all those peripherals...

the best advice it to just wait (im)patiently, like me?
[snapback]85520[/snapback]
Why would Idrive fail? The Idrive is bypassed with NavwithTV. Bluetooth for audio is not an acceptable option from what I heard. That is why you don't have any walkman type devices with wireless headphones. There is not enough info that bluetooth can transmit (ie it isn't broad enough). How much do you think BMW will charge for BMW online? How long will it take? I suspect 2 years.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Feb 1 2005, 12:35 PM
Why would Idrive fail? The Idrive is bypassed with NavwithTV. Bluetooth for audio is not an acceptable option from what I heard. That is why you don't have any walkman type devices with wireless headphones. There is not enough info that bluetooth can transmit (ie it isn't broad enough). How much do you think BMW will charge for BMW online? How long will it take? I suspect 2 years.
[snapback]85609[/snapback]

iDrive fails for anything peripheral ...In the US we dont get the software for Navwith TV so thats an issue, as for bluetooth, it is a perfect solution and BMW and Apple are working on it right now, it will be out this year, even Motorola is going to be offereing an iTunes phone that you can buy and store MP3s on and will work via bluetooth...the technology is almost there, we just have to wait a bit more

.... as for the BMW Online, it is being launched in 2 months in the E90, im sure the E60 will have it by the fall...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:35 PM
We have it in Germany allready, on the E60 too.

Price is the same as BMW Assist.
In the first 6 months free, then 175.-? each per year.

BMW Online IS NOT (!!!) a regular internet access. It is more likely WAP, what means you can ONLY reach sites that BMW has put on their server. You can't surf the internet...

Oh, and it only works while the car is NOT in motion, since the idrive screen is used - just the same as the TV function.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 1 2005, 04:27 PM
[quote name='m630' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:35 PM']BMW will soon be offering a feature called BMW Online, which has email and net access via iDrive...it is being offered first in the new E90 3series, but sure to make it to all models before long
We have it in Germany allready, on the E60 too.

Price is the same as BMW Assist.
In the first 6 months free, then 175.-? each per year.

BMW Online IS NOT (!!!) a regular internet access. It is more likely WAP, what means you can ONLY reach sites that BMW has put on their server. You can't surf the internet...

Oh, and it only works while the car is NOT in motion, since the idrive screen is used - just the same as the TV function.
[snapback]85731[/snapback]
[/quote]

As usual, Iceman gives the skinny. I don't want WAP access, I have a cell phone for that. The motion rule is ok but what if I have a passenger.

So shouldn't the "promised" www.navwithtv.com allow this to work in the US? Total cost will be close to $1500 but will give a lot of useability.... ($800 for computer, $200 aux audio in, $500 aux video in) +install