E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Mini mac fits

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Today my new Minimac was delivered. First thing to do was to see if it fits in the glove compartment....
Well, no problem there. The other thing is getting it hooked up on the screen

BTW the ipod shuffle works great too!
Attached Thumbnails Mini mac fits-minimac.jpg  
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by garehaan' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:18 PM
Today my new Minimac was delivered. First thing to do was to see if it fits in the glove compartment....
Well, no problem there. The other thing is getting it hooked up on the screen?

[snapback]85516[/snapback]
It's a shame to have that little beauty in the glove comparment....

I'm planning to order one next week. The 1gb memory upgrade is a real rip-off. I'm gonna install it myself..
Old 02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Feb 1 2005, 06:26 PM
[quote name='garehaan' date='Feb 1 2005, 03:18 PM']Today my new Minimac was delivered. First thing to do was to see if it fits in the glove compartment....
Well, no problem there. The other thing is getting it hooked up on the screen?

[snapback]85516[/snapback]
It's a shame to have that little beauty in the glove comparment....

I'm planning to order one next week. The 1gb memory upgrade is a real rip-off. I'm gonna install it myself..
[snapback]85573[/snapback]
[/quote]

For that money you just buy another one for your desk!
And for the memory upgrade you just order an equivalent certified kingston or transcend module that is just as good and will only put you back for about 200 ? and install it yourself. Just don't forget to take it out when you have to send your mini back for warranty.

On the other hand i'd say that you buy the mini for some internet acces or terminal work or like me as a gadget, so you don't need 1Gb. If you plan to do some very heavy applications, go for the powermac <_<
Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

How will it run off you car power source? I am very interested in doing the same thing.
This is what was on apples web site:
Electrical and environmental requirements
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 85W

How would you step up the wattage on your car?
(As you can tell I do not mess with car electronics that much unless it is about years older)
Old 02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can use any 12V DC power inverter to get the required AC voltage for the computer. They're dirt cheap these days...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 2 2005, 08:14 AM
You can use any 12V DC power inverter to get the required AC voltage for the computer.? They're dirt cheap these days...
[snapback]85974[/snapback]
Yep, they are very cheap indeed. Assuming 85watt max consumption for the mini mac most of the standard inverters should do the job. It would be even better if someone developed a 12v adapter for the mac. The mini does not have an internal 220/110 powersupply, it has an adapter. So using a 12v adapter will be less complicated.

You just have to place the inverter/adapter out of the dash because of the produced heat.
As for the mac itself heat will not be too much of a problem with an open glove compartment. A closed lid will build up too much heat. And now i start feeling stupid... is the glove compartment airconditioned?
If so, there's no problem closing it. Your passenger will be much happier!

And in the end we only need DVI/VGA in for the i-drive and we're ready to play dvd / games / mp3 / nav etc.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Still sounds good but those inverters are kind of bulky and now you have components all over your car. Sorry to sound like the Devils advocate but just trying to think of way to keep it neat and in the front instead of mounting it in the back.
I guess you could put the inverter under the seat and run wires below the carpet. Those boxes to connect to the I-Drive I was told I could get pretty cheap around ?150. I want to see it first. That is talking to a Car Audio guy here.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Feb 2 2005, 11:46 AM
Still sounds good but those inverters are kind of bulky and now you have components all over your car.? Sorry to sound like the Devils advocate but just trying to think of way to keep it neat and in the front instead of mounting it in the back.
I guess you could put the inverter under the seat and run wires below the carpet.? Those boxes to connect to the I-Drive I was told I could get pretty cheap around ?150.? I want to see it first.? That is talking to a Car Audio guy here.
[snapback]85990[/snapback]

Great, please keep me informed on this one!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

in my last car ('04 audi A4) i installed a 2000W power inverter ... was a rather lengthy install though .. longe rthan expected, harder than expected & both more than i wished for ... but it worked...

since the batter in the audi is upfront ... and the best storage for the inverter was in the rear wheel well (inside the chassis) ... i had to run a set of cables to the back (i suppose just a HOT would've done too) - then ran a 110v back to the front where i mounted 1 outlet in the glovebox, and 1 by the passengers feet. i also wired a switch in the glove box to turn the inverter ON | OFF from the front, as it was hidden & stored away in the trunk, behind the insulation.

the total installation time was ~9 hours, the hardest part was getting the wires ran under the floorboard/carpet all w/out removing the seats (which would've made it 10x easier.)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 02 E46 M3

any more pics of this working with the idrive screen??

Quick Reply: Mini mac fits