E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Matte Black M-Tech Diffuser : My Plasit Dip Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

So when I got my roof wrapped I didnt have my M-Tech rear in time in order to get the diffuser wrapped at the same time. I havent had time to make it back to the vinyl guy so after reading numerous threads on Plasti Dip and watching YouTube videos I decided to give this stuff a try and finally get my diffuser black like I want it. Here are some pics of the progress and finished product:

Plasti Dip Black - $6 at HomeDepot
Masking Tape - $3 at HomeDepot
Newspaper for Masking - Free this morning : D

Make sure you clean the area to be sprayed really good, especially if your not going to rough up the surface (which I didnt because if I dont like it I want to pull it right off and still be like new). Once clean mask off around the diffuser.

Apply a light first coat

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Members

After 2nd coat

After 3rd and final coat

End Result

My Experience:
I let the coats dry 20 mins inbetween (the can reads wait 30 mins but Im a bit impatient and its 110 degrees in Texas so I figure cure time is increased). Overall I like the way the black diffuser works, but I am somewhat dissapointed in the "smoothness" or texture of the Plasti Dip. Its states a 4hr full cure and Ive read it "flows out" as it cures so hopefully once its done it will be a little more smooth like I have seen pics on the internet. Ive read the distance you spray from and the time inbetween coats can cause more/less texture so that may be the case. Anyways thought Id share for all you interested in this stuff, it seems to be the real deal. Google / YouTube to find lots more info and vids of this stuff...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

I agree with you about the 30 minute per coat thing, it's ridiculous. I'm not waiting that long for additional coat. Heck, I didn't even wait that long for additional coats when I spray painted my beat up Miro. Anyway, I do think the distance when you spray is important because when I tried to spray my sister's Honda Accord badge this morning, the 1st coat was perfect, smooth matte finish but when I spray the 2nd coat, it started to develop minor texture, then the 3rd coat you can see it more. May be I over sprayed it or something, not really sure yet but it does looks nice at certain distance. Still can't believe it actually feels so rubbery, like plastic wrap.

Now spray that trunk key hold to get rid of the chrome...on second thought, your car is white so may be it looks better that way or get the white plasti dip and spray it.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I just did some of my interior trunk plastic parts and got the same sort of rough texture. I think I'll try a few different techniques and see if I can get a smooth finish.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

Quarter,

Not sure if this is the case but I'm thinking may be it's because the nozzle does not come out as a fine mist after the first coat hence the texture. I think a needle needs to be inserted into the nozzle after the first coat to clean up all the gunk that's stuck there prior to the 2nd coat might make some difference. I ran out of Plasti Dip and can't find anymore at the local Home Depot. Have to wait for them to stock up. You can try it and let me know.

GL
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Members

^^^ Yeah considering this stuff cures up like rubber Im sure the nossle can get clogged very easily. I know a smooth texture can be achieved as Ive seen tons of pics of VERY smooth, legit paint job looking Plasti Dip jobs...like in this YouTube vid, although crazy baby blue this PlastiDip job looks like paint!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Plastidip is supposed to have a semi rough finish. It is designed to be sprayed to tool handles and provide a grip surface.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
Plastidip is supposed to have a semi rough finish. It is designed to be sprayed to tool handles and provide a grip surface.
true, but it can come out rather smooth (as pictured above on the blue wheels)...havent had a chance to look this afternoon but this morning it seemed to have "flown" out a little bit and became more smooth
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

may be you didn't wait for the coat to dry enough that's why when the top is coming off, it's looking more smooth underneath. It can look smooth though because I saw my first coat was perfect. Too bad I ran out of Plasti Dip now otherwise I'll mess around with it this weekend.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
true, but it can come out rather smooth (as pictured above on the blue wheels)...havent had a chance to look this afternoon but this morning it seemed to have "flown" out a little bit and became more smooth
Sad to inform you, but different color plasti dip actually have different texture finish. Of all my experiences with black version, it always dry rough. It's how it is, sorry.

Quick Reply: Matte Black M-Tech Diffuser : My Plasit Dip Experience