E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Manual swap (lots of images)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 05:05 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i (manual swapped)
Default Manual swap (lots of images)

Just manual swapped my 2005 525i. Surprisingly easy and no programming required on the ms45.1 dme since it contains both automatic and manual programs. All it took was to remove the auto trans from the VO in the cas and lma, then default code the cas,lma,dsc,kombi and szm. Then I used inpa to clear the auto trans out of the digital values in variant adaptations then clear all error codes. For the wiring side it's just cutting the two twisted pair canbus wires going into and out of the auto trans harness and soldering them together, can low to low and can high to high, then 4 wires for the clutch switch and 2 wires for the reverse switch.

Wiring table for anyone wanting to do this on their m54 powered e60.
Clutch switch pin 1 (ground) (brown/black) grounded to ground block under the driver side kick panel
Clutch switch pin 2 (start signal) (blue/brown) to pin23 on dme connector x60004 (black 40pin connector)
Clutch switch pin 3 (signal to cas) (violet/yellow) to pin 3 on cas
Clutch switch pin 4 (cruise control signal) (blue/black) to pin 41 on cas, already populated by the auto trans, just tie into it.

Reverse switch pin 1 (signal) (grey/purple) to pin 13 on the light module
Reverse switch pin 2 (ground) (brown) ground to ground block behind driver kick panel or tie together with the clutch switch ground

Coding:
Remove $205 from the VO on both cas and lma. Default code cas,lma,kombi,dsc and szm modules.
Open inpa:
Engine Module ms45 -> F5 - Status -> F1 - Digital Values -> F5 -
In this menu you will see a bunch of dots. Look for Automatic Gearbox. It may also be in German, Automatik Getriebe. If it's filled in, go to F8 - Clear -> F1 - Transmission.
After clearing the auto trans from the dme go back and clear the error memory then switch off the ignition. Upon the next key on event the dme will read the VO and after not finding an auto trans it will default to manual. The car will now start with the clutch pedal instead of the brake with ZERO transmission or engine errors. Cruise control,traction control and abs will function as normal.
I do have a cel on though as I need to replace one of the rear o2's.

broken pos removed.

Remove the pre-scored piece of sound deadening to reveal hole for manual shifter.

Bottom of auto shifter, soon to be removed.

Remove center console to gain access to the 3 bolts holding the auto shifter in place.

Auto shifter removed, hello ground! The white connector on the left is the illumination wire for the auto shift indicator, if you plan on installing an illuminated M shifter that is where you would wire it.

Route clutch line, installs from the bottom of the car after the auto trans is removed. if you do not want to remove the entire dash you must cut the carpet. The lower column panel will cover the cut so you won't even see it. Also if you lose the rubber sealing tip on the end of the clutch line ac delco part number #09200965 is the correct seal, bmw will not sell you the seal without a new clutch line, I ordered the seal from my local chevy dealer for $4.25.

Swap pedal cages, I replaced the clutch pedal bushings and pin as it had a lot of side to side play.

Lower column cover is already setup for a clutch pedal

Pre-scored from the factory, I cut it with a dremel.

Ready for business.

Look mom, three pedals!

Almost ready to start.

Automatic 3.73 differential removed.

Manual 3.15 differential installed.

ZF gs6-37bz, but apparently manufactured by Getrag under contract.

Manual box installed.

Driveshaft and gear shifter installed.

The following users liked this post:
jasondomina (09-01-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 06:26 PM
New Members

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-FOR2CWSICg
cel is for a rear o2, airbag/seatbelt light is for the b pillar airbag module that I've been too lazy to replace.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: STOCK_LOVE
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 4.4 v8
Default That is sweet!

Originally Posted by deadrabbits
Just manual swapped my 2005 525i. Surprisingly easy and no programming required on the ms45.1 dme since it contains both automatic and manual programs. All it took was to remove the auto trans from the VO in the cas and lma, then default code the cas,lma,dsc,kombi and szm. Then I used inpa to clear the auto trans out of the digital values in variant adaptations then clear all error codes. For the wiring side it's just cutting the two twisted pair canbus wires going into and out of the auto trans harness and soldering them together, can low to low and can high to high, then 4 wires for the clutch switch and 2 wires for the reverse switch.

Wiring table for anyone wanting to do this on their m54 powered e60.
Clutch switch pin 1 (ground) (brown/black) grounded to ground block under the driver side kick panel
Clutch switch pin 2 (start signal) (blue/brown) to pin23 on dme connector x60004 (black 40pin connector)
Clutch switch pin 3 (signal to cas) (violet/yellow) to pin 3 on cas
Clutch switch pin 4 (cruise control signal) (blue/black) to pin 41 on cas, already populated by the auto trans, just tie into it.

Reverse switch pin 1 (signal) (grey/purple) to pin 13 on the light module
Reverse switch pin 2 (ground) (brown) ground to ground block behind driver kick panel or tie together with the clutch switch ground

Coding:
Remove $205 from the VO on both cas and lma. Default code cas,lma,kombi,dsc and szm modules.
Open inpa:
Engine Module ms45 -> F5 - Status -> F1 - Digital Values -> F5 -
In this menu you will see a bunch of dots. Look for Automatic Gearbox. It may also be in German, Automatik Getriebe. If it's filled in, go to F8 - Clear -> F1 - Transmission.
After clearing the auto trans from the dme go back and clear the error memory then switch off the ignition. Upon the next key on event the dme will read the VO and after not finding an auto trans it will default to manual. The car will now start with the clutch pedal instead of the brake with ZERO transmission or engine errors. Cruise control,traction control and abs will function as normal.
I do have a cel on though as I need to replace one of the rear o2's.

broken pos removed.

Remove the pre-scored piece of sound deadening to reveal hole for manual shifter.

Bottom of auto shifter, soon to be removed.

Remove center console to gain access to the 3 bolts holding the auto shifter in place.

Auto shifter removed, hello ground! The white connector on the left is the illumination wire for the auto shift indicator, if you plan on installing an illuminated M shifter that is where you would wire it.

Route clutch line, installs from the bottom of the car after the auto trans is removed. if you do not want to remove the entire dash you must cut the carpet. The lower column panel will cover the cut so you won't even see it. Also if you lose the rubber sealing tip on the end of the clutch line ac delco part number #09200965 is the correct seal, bmw will not sell you the seal without a new clutch line, I ordered the seal from my local chevy dealer for $4.25.

Swap pedal cages, I replaced the clutch pedal bushings and pin as it had a lot of side to side play.

Lower column cover is already setup for a clutch pedal

Pre-scored from the factory, I cut it with a dremel.

Ready for business.

Look mom, three pedals!

Almost ready to start.

Automatic 3.73 differential removed.

Manual 3.15 differential installed.

ZF gs6-37bz, but apparently manufactured by Getrag under contract.

Manual box installed.

Driveshaft and gear shifter installed.
Oven been pondering the idea. Got someone selling me one $500 everything included . My mechanic told me $500 to remove modify and program car. I think I just might do it.

How's it feel
Any updates ?
Old 08-15-2023, 01:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Chri$ti@n_545I
Oven been pondering the idea. Got someone selling me one $500 everything included . My mechanic told me $500 to remove modify and program car. I think I just might do it.

How's it feel
Any updates ?
So far so good, I haven't had a single issue as of yet. It's a completely different experience driving it manual, it got a bit quicker, fuel mileage went up, and best of all it's far more reliable.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:19 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2009 e60 528i xdrive 6 speed manual base metallic green on tan active autowerk tune Borla muffler bbs wheels Michelin tires tint and weathertec floor liners
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N52b30
Default Gonna change your life

I love the forced perspective on the giant brake pedals..
Seriously though great job I bought. Mine as a manual but have driven others, and the experience is night and day.
I apologize if you already know this, but maybe some people don't.. If you ever have trouble getting into gear blip the throttle a little bit and actually aligns the action then it'll go in easily.
bonus Your breaks are gonna last forever.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:54 AM
N54
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xi intercooler CP DCI 09 135i MMP1000 2x525LPH PI all bolt ons 335i 6spd single project

Great swap! Interesting that you didn’t need to do anything with the ECU. Any idea if later model BMWs are the same? Contemplating a manual swap on my 09 135i and thought I would need a manual ECU…
Old 10-09-2023, 12:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by N54
Great swap! Interesting that you didn’t need to do anything with the ECU. Any idea if later model BMWs are the same? Contemplating a manual swap on my 09 135i and thought I would need a manual ECU…
You would just need to reprogram the ecu, i know on 335i's people just flash a manual tune with mhd.