E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Magnaflow Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAY'545' post='835647' date='Apr 3 2009, 06:46 PM
I would say go with the magna if that's what you like and can afford. Of course there will always b some cabin noise with turbo mufflers. But to me the magna doesn't sound to much diff than the rpi. A lot of guys where running magnas b4 rpi came out.
-1 on the magna. I talked to many people on this forums who have the Magnaflow and I never once got a positive response. Everyone said they make you loose power and that the drone. "get the RPI" was a very common response.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='835681' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:35 PM
Rkhettry23,

check out my feeler post for the 535 RPI exhaust. If you are interested be sure to put your name on the list. RPi usually has an introductory price for the first few exhausts. The exhaust hasn't been priced yet but should be under $2000 for the full gt race exhaust. The GT Race Exhuast is being test fitted on my vehicle and will be available shortly.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=72476

Yea i'm not looking to drop anything close to that right now. I do not need my exhaust to add performance, just sound and looks...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='835382' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:33 PM
does anyone have one of these installed? I'm looking for a cheap but good looking and sounding muffler (full exhaust is out of my budget, but want something aggressive sounding). I don't really care about any performance (as long as it does not decrease my performance haha)....also what kind of tips would look good on our cars?

here is the link btw
https://www.trinityautosport.com/merchantma...products_id=200

Thanks, also any sound clips would be very helpful!
I recently went through this decision in a tough way. Listened to many, I mean many different sound files. In your research, you may find that each one will confuse you more, because that's what happened to me. I purchased a MF 14862, it sat in my garage for a week, and then I decided after listening to MORE files, that this is not the sound I'm looking for. So, back it goes. My decision was based purely on sound, not on performance. There are many opinions and probably some dyno data here that suggests there is HP loss. Anyway, I decided to forego the exhaust mod for the time being. You will find you either pay 2-300 for a magnaflow, or upwards of 700-1000 for an RPi/super sprint/etc. I was just nervous the sound would be inconsistent with my cars' look. But I have a wife and kid, plus use the car to drive customers around etc. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='835686' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:40 PM
Yea i'm not looking to drop anything close to that right now. I do not need my exhaust to add performance, just sound and looks...
check this post out but you might have to hurry because i already have a few people that are interested.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry835395
Old 04-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='835735' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:42 PM
check this post out but you might have to hurry because i already have a few people that are interested.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry835395

Thanks, but not looking to purchase a full exhaust, just muffler....I'd rather spend money on other mods.

Thanks for looking out tho

Raj
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

While i agree with everyone to get the RPI, heck if i had the cash i would have too. I purchased the Mtech kit at the same time i got the Magnaflows, so dishing out another grand was not an option, and i was sure not going to have ugly stock tips. The droning factor depends on the person, but it can get annoying depending if you stay in D mode all the time. The sound is great, its not overly aggressive, yet very aggressive. As for losing HP, i have a single side so it wont be as bad as quads, which most members had. If you really want an exahust then get the magnaflows, if not save up and get the RPI, Which is amazing overall. I will eventually get the RPI once i have the funds, but im pretty satisfied for the meantime.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='835738' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks, but not looking to purchase a full exhaust, just muffler....I'd rather spend money on other mods.

Thanks for looking out tho

Raj
raj the dinan free flow exhaust is not a full exhaust. Just know if you end up getting a muffler you will loose power.
but if I had to get one for pure sound, regardless of performance, i would go with magnaflow from trinity. The sound can be altered by adding removing/keeping the secondary cats and resonators. If you use the search bar you can find many threads regarding the cats/resonators. Good luck
Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Members

My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

+1 for the Magnaflow....

I paid 220 installed for mine and I love it... I didn't notice any difference in the HP at all... The sound was exactly what I was looking for. Are you guys racing your 5 series anyway?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='835752' date='Apr 3 2009, 09:22 PM
raj the dinan free flow exhaust is not a full exhaust. Just know if you end up getting a muffler you will loose power.
but if I had to get one for pure sound, regardless of performance, i would go with magnaflow from trinity. The sound can be altered by adding removing/keeping the secondary cats and resonators. If you use the search bar you can find many threads regarding the cats/resonators. Good luck
Dude what are you talking about that if you only get the muffler you lose HP? You want to share your rationale or any ounce of evidence for this. In eurorev mag last year they did a 330i with an entire catback Supersprint system and lost 6 hp compared to stock. Stock exhausts on these cars are already very good flowing and optomized quite well which is why no systems show improvements until RPI's seemed to have.

Sticking with just a muffler from a legit company like dinan, SS, eisenhaus, you will gain as much or more than the full setup unless it is rpi based on what they have shown anyway.

Hate when people just say things without any evidence to back
Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Contributors

So which is it? No change or negative?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Mufflers?