E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M6 replica Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest problem with the replica market is that the fabricators (most) are too greedy to make a wheel that fits well for the E60 market. The E60 has a 72.56mm inside diameter. If the fabricator used these specs, they would lose the BMW market that uses 74.1mm specs (e.g., older BMW models).

Thus, most make a 74.1mm inside diameter wheel so it will fit a wider range of European cars. When you put these on your E60 hub, the space causes the wheels to move around as you drive--i.e., vibration.

You can fill the space with rings. However, you are assuming that you can get a perfect fit.
In addition, some wheels have issues with the way the lugs attach to the wheel.

I am not going to say that all replicas are bad. Many have reported that the italian made replicas are pretty good.

I can say that my replicas are sitting in my garage, and my OEMs are doing very well on my car.
As I stated above, if you want to save money on the package, use General Exclaim tires (rather than PS2s). The difference in tire price for a tire that I believe is just as good will make up for the difference in price of the replicas.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='442500' date='Jul 2 2007, 10:46 AM
The biggest problem with the replica market is that the fabricators (most) are too greedy to make a wheel that fits well for the E60 market. The E60 has a 72.56mm inside diameter. If the fabricator used these specs, they would lose the BMW market that uses 74.1mm specs (e.g., older BMW models).

Thus, most make a 74.1mm inside diameter wheel so it will fit a wider range of European cars. When you put these on your E60 hub, the space causes the wheels to move around as you drive--i.e., vibration.

You can fill the space with rings. However, you are assuming that you can get a perfect fit.
In addition, some wheels have issues with the way the lugs attach to the wheel.

I am not going to say that all replicas are bad. Many have reported that the italian made replicas are pretty good.

I can say that my replicas are sitting in my garage, and my OEMs are doing very well on my car.
As I stated above, if you want to save money on the package, use General Exclaim tires (rather than PS2s). The difference in tire price for a tire that I believe is just as good will make up for the difference in price of the replicas.
Thanks man. That's very informative. No replicas for me then. I don't want to risk the ride that I love (main reason I wanted a Bimmer in the first place.

Would this happen on aftermarket wheels also? I was also looking at the Beyern Wheels. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by j-rock' post='442938' date='Jul 3 2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks man. That's very informative. No replicas for me then. I don't want to risk the ride that I love (main reason I wanted a Bimmer in the first place.

Would this happen on aftermarket wheels also? I was also looking at the Beyern Wheels. Thanks.
It can happen on aftermarket wheels if they do not have the 72.56mm inside diameter. If you get stuck with "rings" (plastic or metal, I have tried them all) to fill in the inside gap, there is no guarantee of a snug fit.

The problem with wheels is that they dealer will not take them back once you install them. At the same time, you cannot tell if you will have a problem until after you install them.

These are really sensitive cars to aftermarket parts. I have heard some good stories and some bad ones. As for a guarantee from the dealer ahead of time.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by j-rock' post='441528' date='Jun 29 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm contemplating on putting M6 replica wheels on my 04 530i. What are the cons?

I saw the wheels at finishlinewheels.com they are fairly cheap for the size that I would like for the car.

here is the link: http://www.finishlinewheels.com/specials/1...taggered+19%22/

thanks,
J-Rock
bad idea. stay away.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='442961' date='Jul 3 2007, 11:43 AM
bad idea. stay away.
Carlton, good to see you back (with your new avatar... )
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='443135' date='Jul 3 2007, 07:05 PM
Carlton, good to see you back (with your new avatar... )
Ha! Thanks buddy. How's the car holding up?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributors

The OEM #166 with General Exclaims are really awesome. Not a single problem. I think that the Generals are the best tires for wet weather that I have ever had. Yesterday, we received 2 inches of rain in an hour. The roads had about 1/8 inch across. Everyone else was sliding around. I was plowing through the water at 55mph with perfect control.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

I'll just chime in with 1 thing here .. your $ is your $ you may do as you please but i will say that not every replicas are the same ex.... in the 4th and 5th pics above show m6 replica from a seller on ebay.. if you notice these are far from original m6 they are not aluminum polished neither are darkgrey/gun metal on the inside... thus making them look veruy noticible that they are replicas.... on the other hand if you look at pics 1,2 and 3 are another set of replicas for sale by another ebay seller- (getyourwheels) which is who i purchase my m6 wheels from on my last e60 and those are replica's yet still very very close to stock... and not as noticle to tell they are replica's from naked eye... yes they may weigh more ect ect as every1 says here but i went with these because they were very very close to stock i never had a problem with them at all... so just be a smart shopper and know that all replicas are not the same theyr are some good quality replica's yet still be concious that they will never be 100% factory specs.. but if your like me and you can live with that id say go with replica's and get maybe an mtech kit or another mod with the extra cash chances are youll switch wheels anyways sooner or later other more meaningfull mods stick with you, but its on you... my .02
Attached Thumbnails M6 replica Wheels-m6.gif   M6 replica Wheels-m6_1.gif   M6 replica Wheels-m6_19big1.jpg   M6 replica Wheels-m6_19big2.jpg   M6 replica Wheels-m6_m31.jpg