E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport package, Carbon Black w/ Natural Brown Interior

Supposedly all the warnings and errors can be programmed or coded out..,
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by MarsBlackmon
Supposedly all the warnings and errors can be programmed or coded out..,
Really? Interesting Anyone here in the US done this mod?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Members

Seems like a few years ago folks were doing this mod... Suddenly it's quiet now... I called a dealership out in Rhode Island and the service guys said that as of a few years ago BMW has changed how they code and program the parts. So you can't just swap things in and out of different models like you use to be able to w/ the old system...

So I'm looking around to see if anyone has figured out a work around..
Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Seems like a few years ago folks were doing this mod... Suddenly it's quiet now... I called a dealership out in Rhode Island and the service guys said that as of a few years ago BMW has changed how they code and program the parts. So you can't just swap things in and out of different models like you use to be able to w/ the old system...

So I'm looking around to see if anyone has figured out a work around..
I'd imagine you can't just swap it now considering the LCI factor. Keep us updated on your findings
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by b00sted415
I'd imagine you can't just swap it now considering the LCI factor. Keep us updated on your findings
From what I gather, LCI as far this cluster and some other components are concerned isn't the issue. Its bolt on, the hardware will fit w/ out issue. Vehicle data, that's the issue.. You either have to move the data from the original cluster onto the replacement. Or the data needs to be downloaded from other electronic components of the car to the new cluster. Something to that effect...

BMW's old programming software didn't care much if the hardware wasn't specific to the vehicle. It would program up the new cluster or parts, no probz.. The new programming software (Isis or Iris) will reject the part if the part was not manufactured for your specific model. This is what I've been told by the parts guy I spoke with...

But I'll let you know whatever I find, either way...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Members

From what I gather, LCI as far this cluster and some other components are concerned isn't the issue. Its bolt on, the hardware will fit w/ out issue. Vehicle data, that's the issue.. You either have to move the data from the original cluster onto the replacement. Or the data needs to be downloaded from other electronic components of the car to the new cluster. Something to that effect...

BMW's old programming software didn't care much if the hardware wasn't specific to the vehicle. It would program up the new cluster or parts, no probz.. The new programming software (Isis or Iris) will reject the part if the part was not manufactured for your specific model. This is what I've been told by the parts guy I spoke with...

Damn, wish I was into this stuff a few years ago... LOL
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

I'm confident it somehow can be done , the trick is figuring out how hehehe.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Members

I just got a M5 cluster installed in my car. I have an E61 523i LCI with manual gear. The cluster had been compleatly whiped out, and we installed it and coded the KOMBI. Everything is working oil temp, speed, rev counter and the changing rev limiter, but...but... there is always a but, my cruise control dont work. It is a cruise control with brake funktion.
Anybody know what I have to code to get it working?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi Holtz

You will need to re-code the code $544 to your M5 cluster instead of $540 or $541

Regards
BenAnd

Last edited by BenAnd; 10-31-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
New Members

Anyone in the USA done this without issue and have input, it seems all the guys overseas have done this so far with success.

Quick Reply: M5 instrument cluster