E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M-Technic Front gap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)
Thumbs up

Okay so I should be recieving my M-Technic kit anyday and I keep hearing from some members there is a gap that is created between the hood and the top of the bumper when the new front bumper is put on. Ive seen in the DIY section that there were different ways to eliminate the gap one in particular i liked was it was caused by the front bumper foam.

So can anyone confirm for me that it is the front bumper foam that is causing the gap and if I buy the new pieces I shouldnt have a gap??? I dont want to wast $50 on new pieces if thats not whats causing the problem.

Let me know thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

I think many probably don't realize it, and some fixed it by using washers (cheaper solution)
Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Believe me I dont mind spending the $50 over using some washers, to know its done right! No offense to you washer guys I just want to be sure before I spend the money and time buying the bumper insterts that will solve the problem

Com'on guys I know someones replace the foam, did it work?????

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='576126' date='May 7 2008, 04:19 PM
I think many probably don't realize it, and some fixed it by using washers (cheaper solution)
Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

There's a thread on the DIY for the foam-solution. If you're going to have to go through the process of installing it anyway, might as well fix it right.

My guess is that you're getting your Mtec from quad_m (and it's not coming with the right bumper foam)?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Frank my friend I knew you were always one of the smart ones. Tony called me today and he said Im getting painted tomorrow so hopefully I should have my kit by Monday/Tuesday at the latest. Now I only have to wait til my rims come in, Garry said by about the 20th since they had to come from Germany. Sooner or later Ill be looking sharp

Yeah I kind of saw that thread on there in the DIY but even the guy RodyBMW didnt do his by replacing the foam inserts, if I read it right he said that the foam was the issue, but since he discovered that after he changed out the bumper I was hoping someone else would confirm this before my order.

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='576163' date='May 7 2008, 05:10 PM
There's a thread on the DIY for the foam-solution. If you're going to have to go through the process of installing it anyway, might as well fix it right.

My guess is that you're getting your Mtec from quad_m (and it's not coming with the right bumper foam)?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='576107' date='May 7 2008, 05:44 PM
I keep hearing from some members there is a gap that is created between the hood and the top of the bumper when the new front bumper is put on.
I am slightly confused as there is no such unusual gap in the M-Tech install on my 550? Am I missing something here or not noticing what others are looking at..? I am enclsing two pics of my front which has the new front bumper [as part of the new Kit about a 18 months ago]
Attached Thumbnails M-Technic Front gap-5.jpg   M-Technic Front gap-1.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Members

My Ride: * 2010 BMW 528i M Sport * 2010 BMW X5 M Blue * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Silver Gray * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Black Sapphire, Auburn Dakota Leather. * 2006 530I Monaco Blue / Grey, M-Tech Front and M5 rear bumper and side skirts. M5 lip spoiler. M5 166M wheels.

Hello,
From what I see from the photos, you do have some gap between the hood and the bumper. It has to be over 8mm.
Verry easy fix. Few teflon spacer and then removed the fat rubber trim.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54559
Georgio
Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: * 2010 BMW 528i M Sport * 2010 BMW X5 M Blue * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Silver Gray * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Black Sapphire, Auburn Dakota Leather. * 2006 530I Monaco Blue / Grey, M-Tech Front and M5 rear bumper and side skirts. M5 lip spoiler. M5 166M wheels.

Tyson,
The other day I drove to BMW Newport to check the M-tech foam pices. I did also have the the M-tech alloy brackets with me to match them to the M-tech foam pieces//You are talking to design engineer//
Guess what ? If you going to get any excessive gap, it won't be because of the foams.. The foams have the cut outs for the brackets. The thickness and the height of the M-tech foams are identical to the stock ones. What causing the gaps are varies dimension of the bumper frame and how well the alignment was performed during the vehicle assembly and manufacturing plant. It is critical that the brackets need to be position 90 degrees in respect to the bumper frame. That's all..
So, I decided not to remove my stock foams. I just trimed them to fit the brackets. I already informed you about my final solution with the Teflon spacers. Now the gap is about 2-3mm. As, I mentioned it before. The gap before I perform the conversion was over 15mm. After the conversion was about the same but more pronounced. With the spacers, better then the stock one. See the photos:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54559

Let me know when you receive the M-tech kit. There is something with the trim underneath interfacing with the tray that also require cutting and engineering. I decided not to install it.
Regards,
Georgio

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='576107' date='May 7 2008, 05:44 PM
Okay so I should be recieving my M-Technic kit anyday and I keep hearing from some members there is a gap that is created between the hood and the top of the bumper when the new front bumper is put on. Ive seen in the DIY section that there were different ways to eliminate the gap one in particular i liked was it was caused by the front bumper foam.

So can anyone confirm for me that it is the front bumper foam that is causing the gap and if I buy the new pieces I shouldnt have a gap??? I dont want to wast $50 on new pieces if thats not whats causing the problem.

Let me know thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='576178' date='May 7 2008, 07:32 PM
Frank my friend I knew you were always one of the smart ones. Tony called me today and he said Im getting painted tomorrow so hopefully I should have my kit by Monday/Tuesday at the latest. Now I only have to wait til my rims come in, Garry said by about the 20th since they had to come from Germany. Sooner or later Ill be looking sharp

Yeah I kind of saw that thread on there in the DIY but even the guy RodyBMW didnt do his by replacing the foam inserts, if I read it right he said that the foam was the issue, but since he discovered that after he changed out the bumper I was hoping someone else would confirm this before my order.

If I have the dealer put on the M-tech, I guess there should not be the gap issue? Or that's something I need to remind the dealer when they perform the installation?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Dealer's probably dont know it either.. unless u closely watch the gap..

Quick Reply: M-Technic Front gap