E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M-Tech Kits, Splitters, Side Skirts and more!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

I am new to the BMW community and I am reading as much as I can about MODs.
Alot of you folks have some great looking BMWs.

Anyway, I do not yet have all the lingo down as far as what is a M Kit, Splitter, Side Skirts, Defusers etc...

So can folks put up before and after pics of these items on the BMW?

for example: I see posts, "Just installed splitters" and they show pics but I have no clue what to look for. Meaning no before pic.

I have MODs in mind but I have no idea what they are called or if they come in kits, or single purchased items etc...

Hopefully I am not alone is asking for someone to throw this dog a bone.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by troybal' post='606805' date='Jun 20 2008, 12:21 PM
I am new to the BMW community and I am reading as much as I can about MODs.
Alot of you folks have some great looking BMWs.

Anyway, I do not yet have all the lingo down as far as what is a M Kit, Splitter, Side Skirts, Defusers etc...

So can folks put up before and after pics of these items on the BMW?

for example: I see posts, "Just installed splitters" and they show pics but I have no clue what to look for. Meaning no before pic.

I have MODs in mind but I have no idea what they are called or if they come in kits, or single purchased items etc...

Hopefully I am not alone is asking for someone to throw this dog a bone.
Check out my gallery when you have time.....I went from stock, to lowering, then wheels, then M-Tech front and sides, to finally rear trunk spoiler. They are posted in reverse order.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You can see the parts on BMW's web page for the Mtech... or the e60 catalogs ( look towards the back for the sport package 550i) If you can't tell the difference visually from a 535i , 550i sport pack , and an M5 body parts wise, why are you looking at these mods? Here are some hints to look for :

Front end under the grill : front bumper cover, MTech Front bumper, There are tons of different ones
Front end under the bottom of the bumper cover : Splitter, CF parts on the corner lower grills, Cf lower
Side of car in front of the front wheels : M5 grills, fender well, etc, usually the whole front 1/4 panels are swapped for the M5
side of car running under the doors : Skirts , side skirt
Rear of car under the tail tight s and trunk : Rear diffuser, rear bumper, quad rear diffuser ( openings on either side for quad exhaust), tons of these, look for openings lower on the cover, or near where the exhaust tips come out
rear of car on edge, or on top of the trunk: Wing, spoiler, deck lid spoiler , tons of these, mtech, M5, all the tuning firms
rear of car at the top of the rear window: Roof wing, rear window wing ( AC schintizer, Racing Dynamics)
Side/front of car side view mirrors : M5 mirrors, Alpenia , hartage.....

then you have pre 08 build cars, and after 08 build cars more commonly know as LCI or Life Cycle Improvement , These cars shave small differences all over the car ( check out the information section for more info and picts with the differences highlighted) on the exterior and interior. Big differences on the Lighting on the front and rear ends.

M5's also have differences over the Non Mcars
Sports pack 550's come with the Mtech body kit , the parts look similar too the m5 stuff , but there are some differences
The Mtech front and rear bumpers seem to be used as a "base" part on many of the other aftermarket parts such as Splitters , rear valances, and quad exhaust set ups. Meeing you need the Mtech part for the other part to attach to as it won't fit the normal body part.

Same goes for the lci cars and pre 08's. Most parts are 04-07 or non LCI, some do work, or need extra parts to fit correctly ( Mtech Front bumpers need extra parts, and PDC need a full new set that are different than the stock ones)

Hopefully this helps.

I won't go in to the rims, but the INFORMATION section as well as the FAQ's are your friends.