E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M sport bumper fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default M sport bumper fitment question

I have a 07 e60 550i non sport model, last week I had the Msport bumper that's on the e60 550i's installed. there is a shield under the car on the battery side part #51717124633 that's was with my OEM bumper I could see and partially was under the diffuser so the installer cut a piece off and screwed the rest into probably my bumper guide. I wanted him to take it off but he said my battery would be exposed from the bottom so I went to the dealer to see if there was a different shield for the msport bumper and the part # is 51717896625. In the real oem website the part illustration looks the same and shows #14 but there are 2 different part numbers one for oem and one for msport. can anyone shed some light on this as to if these are the same part but just different numbers? because it looks like part of my diffuser isn't snug and my tow hook cover isn't tight at all, so im thinking the pressure of that non msport battery shield is making my msport bumper sit awkward. any comments are welcome pls, and thank you.

07 550i non sport model jet blk
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Default M sport bumper fitment question

the dealsership installed my OEM msport rear bumper, Im wondering if the bumper brackets are the same and or does it matter if you don't change them because the bumper fits. I ordered the required bumper side brackets when going from a OEM non sport bumper to the OEM Msport bumper, but the dealer said I didn't need them, do I or don't I because now I notice a gap and I slight over hang on the passenger side, I also think they did a rush job with the install and may have over screwed... if I have the parts and it says required when going from non sport to msport there has to be a reason for this.. can anyone chime in???? pls and thank you
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

side brackets are different, I remember removing mine and installing new ones. #5 in this diagram:

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Old 06-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes I have the right one and left one. I bet thats part of the reason why my bumper isn't sitting as flush as it should. Did you change the battery shield under the car or did you just mod the one that was on the car

Originally Posted by KyleB
side brackets are different, I remember removing mine and installing new ones. #5 in this diagram:

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Old 06-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

I changed it with the one that came with the complete kit that I ordered.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Oh ok. Do you remember if it looked different than the one that was on the car with OEM non sport bumper?

Originally Posted by KyleB
I changed it with the one that came with the complete kit that I ordered.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

my car is a non-sport '04 530i. I ordered the complete OEM kit. It came in a HUMONGOUS box on a pallet, and had every nut, bolt, bracket, spacer, etc you could possibly need. It actually came with extra parts that I didn't use (cars with tow packages, etc).

The side brackets, battery cover, and lower brackets are all different for the M Technic bumpers. I replaced all of them with the M Technic parts. If your bumper isn't fitting right, that very well could be the problem. I also have a factory M Technic kit on my E30, and that one used a lot of the same hardware that the stock cars did. I have to think that BMW made different brackets for the E60 for a reason.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

I have a 2010 non-msport and recently had the OEM msport rear bumper installed. I bought mine from a forum member who did not supply the bracket. My shop had to fabricate the current nonsport bracket to make the bumper sit flush and not bounce/jiggle.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Nice. I have the the left and righ brackets brand new and the installer got lazy. And I went to the dealership and got the battery shield for the msport bumper and instead he just trimmed the one that was on the car. Which is putting preasure near my diffuser now I see a small gap. Gotta find a body shop now

07 550i jet blk

Originally Posted by skrelnik
I have a 2010 non-msport and recently had the OEM msport rear bumper installed. I bought mine from a forum member who did not supply the bracket. My shop had to fabricate the current nonsport bracket to make the bumper sit flush and not bounce/jiggle.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by star69me
Nice. I have the the left and righ brackets brand new and the installer got lazy. And I went to the dealership and got the battery shield for the msport bumper and instead he just trimmed the one that was on the car. Which is putting preasure near my diffuser now I see a small gap. Gotta find a body shop now

07 550i jet blk
Do it yourself if you have the space and time. It is super easy. Plus, you'll know it was done right.

Quick Reply: M sport bumper fitment question