E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

m spec sprintbooster on a normal auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
mos
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

i have a 530 auto i have just bought for my wife, hence being new to the forum.
we have a spare sprint booster for an m3 (the proper m spec version)that i never got around to selling when we sold the car.
i was thinking about using it on the 530 auto which i know its safe to do but would i be better selling it and getting a proper auto version?
i am worried that the m spec booster is a tamer version of the auto one and that by using it on an ordinary auto we would not be getting the full sprintbooster effect.
can anyone help with the difference between the two.
while i am on the subject, can a manual sprintbooster be used on an auto car? a friend of mine is p/x his manual 3 series and is removing the sprintbooster before it goes. he will let me have it cheap if i want it, but is fitting the manual one to an auto car a big no no, will it cause problems with fault codes etc or would it prove too aggresive, anyone tried this?

thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

As far as I know, the manual sprint booster will cause the automatic car to try and redline every single gear....however I am not sure of this...
As for the M sprint booster...there's only one way to find out.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
mos
Members

anyone know if the m spec sprintbooster is less aggresive than the normal auto version?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by mos
anyone know if the m spec sprintbooster is less aggresive than the normal auto version?
I don't really know...but I would think it's more aggressive...
Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Contributors

If the Auto and Manual versions were cross-suitable the developer/manufacturer probably would NOT have created different versions. Maybe as simple as a software difference or more likely the pin-layout that could code your car. :thumbsdown:

Lastly, in light of the recent controversies and concerns about fly by wire systems in cars I'd venture cautiously.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport - Visibilty, Media, Logic7, Heated Comfort Seats, too many other extras to list

Originally Posted by luigi524td
If the Auto and Manual versions were cross-suitable the developer/manufacturer probably would NOT have created different versions. Maybe as simple as a software difference or more likely the pin-layout that could code your car. :thumbsdown:

Lastly, in light of the recent controversies and concerns about fly by wire systems in cars I'd venture cautiously.
Funnily enough, they are cross-suitable. The Auto version simply is less sensitive than the manual version as there is no clutch control element to help you keep it under control.

However, the manufacture recommends fitting an auto SB to a manual car for any driver who finds the manual SB on a manual car a bit too crazy.

I have done the opposite and fitted a manual SB to my auto. I am used to SB's on my BMW's so I have no issue with controlling it. Alot of people have done the same with BMW's and Mercs from whai i have seen on other forums.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mobilejo
I have done the opposite and fitted a manual SB to my auto. I am used to SB's on my BMW's so I have no issue with controlling it. Alot of people have done the same with BMW's and Mercs from whai i have seen on other forums.
mobilejo, in what sense is the manual SB zou fitted on your car "more aggressive" - does it react quicker, does it rev up quicklier?

I would suppose it does not have an effect on the gear change point (that`s decided by the auto box), or am I wrong in assuming this?

I am thinking about an SB on my auto and have to decide which route to go.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport - Visibilty, Media, Logic7, Heated Comfort Seats, too many other extras to list

Originally Posted by mmitev
mobilejo, in what sense is the manual SB zou fitted on your car "more aggressive" - does it react quicker, does it rev up quicklier?

I would suppose it does not have an effect on the gear change point (that`s decided by the auto box), or am I wrong in assuming this?

I am thinking about an SB on my auto and have to decide which route to go.

I have never tried an auto SB, but from what the manufacturers themselves claim,(or at least what I read a few years ago on their website) the auto version just gives less of an increase in sensitivity than the manual version.I guess this may translate to a slower reaction, or maybe not. What I do know is that the SB is quite a simple device, and so it is very hard to imagine it being "clever" enough to do anything other than alter the response time of the throttle.

It doesn't stop the box from changing at its set point, but as you know, our autos change later in the rev range the harder you are accelerating. So if you keep a light foot you will shift early and if you press hard you will change later. The SB doesn't change this (it can't) but as you are more likely to be under harder acceleration for less pedal travel with the SB, you will notice your shifts do come in later. I have no problem though - when I don't want to drive fast I simply don't push the pedal as much as did without the SB and it shifts as normal, just with a quicker initial response.

In short, I absolutely love it. The car feels like a beast when I floor it and like normal when being light footed.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mobilejo
I have never tried an auto SB, but from what the manufacturers themselves claim,(or at least what I read a few years ago on their website) the auto version just gives less of an increase in sensitivity than the manual version.I guess this may translate to a slower reaction, or maybe not. What I do know is that the SB is quite a simple device, and so it is very hard to imagine it being "clever" enough to do anything other than alter the response time of the throttle.

It doesn't stop the box from changing at its set point, but as you know, our autos change later in the rev range the harder you are accelerating. So if you keep a light foot you will shift early and if you press hard you will change later. The SB doesn't change this (it can't) but as you are more likely to be under harder acceleration for less pedal travel with the SB, you will notice your shifts do come in later. I have no problem though - when I don't want to drive fast I simply don't push the pedal as much as did without the SB and it shifts as normal, just with a quicker initial response.

In short, I absolutely love it. The car feels like a beast when I floor it and like normal when being light footed.
Thanks - all I wanted to know and makes perfect sense.