E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M Aero Kit Parts ?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an '06 550 Sport with "Port - Installed" M Aero Kit. car has 4500 miles on it and last night a high, right-angle curb, caught just behind the front tire and the side skirt ...ripping the entire left side skirt from the vehicle. :'(

haven't been able to speak with anyone from BMW yet and was wondering if anyone knows if the M Aero Kit is sold in parts or only as a kit. i'm concerned i might be told by bmw that i can only fix the problem by ordering an entire kit rather than just the skirt.

then my question will be where in hell will it have to be repaired ...local dealership or port? of course i've never been happy with the paint job by the "port" with this very expensive mod. rear has whitish areas in the paint under the clearcoat.

anyone knowledgable here?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

This is all I could find on OEM website, looks like the sell entire kit, but I am no expert. I know on ebay I have seen parts for sale, but someone like Lomag would know better than I. Here you go: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...782&hg=51&fg=95

Question - when you picked up your car from dealer, did you not notice the paint job was not done properly? sounds like something they should have addressed for you. I ask because picking up my 550 with Aero kit tomorrow. Please elaborate so I know what to look for? Thx.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Members

park the car in the sunlight. look at the rear on the sides near rear tires ...all the way around really. on some of the angles, i can see patches of a milky appearance in the paint under the clearcoat. i'm no painting expert but it almost appears as thought the paint is too thin or some sort of buffing compound was not entirely removed prior to clearcoat. i can also see it in one area of the rear spoiler. i don't think it meets "bmw standards" in my opinion. it was done at the port so i've assumed it would be a major pain in the ass to have corrected. also, it took so long for me to get the car (ordered from germany you know) that i just didn't want to be without the car for another "who knows how long". so, i just lived with it.

i'm on my way to my local dealership's body shop for an evaluation. they have told me that the side skirt CAN BE ordered seperately. they also told me they want to evaluate the remainder of the aero kit to see if BMW would cover the repair of what i've described above. i'll keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Very good reply, thanks. Note that a lot of members get Aero kit done outside of VPC by local vendors so that won't be much an issue for you. VPC is actually less expensive, but you lose the old parts where by if you do with local shop, you keep the old parts and could use later if necessary. I am sure you will end up with what you needed and in fact, get your car painted for free in the process. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Separate side skirt: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=...784&hg=51&fg=20. It's the same part number for a 550.

Since it will most be likely coming out of your own pocket, unless you have a really low deductible, you might want to contact Garry Romani our board sponsor to order the parts. I bet he will give you a better deal than your local dealership. If you look up, you see a sticky about BMW of Newport, RI. Good luck with the repair.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='274724' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:36 AM
Very good reply, thanks. Note that a lot of members get Aero kit done outside of VPC by local vendors so that won't be much an issue for you. VPC is actually less expensive, but you lose the old parts where by if you do with local shop, you keep the old parts and could use later if necessary. I am sure you will end up with what you needed and in fact, get your car painted for free in the process. Good luck.

Interesting. My M Aero kit is being installed in Spartasburg SC VPC and they are shipping my old parts to me free of charge. They said that was part of the normal process.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,
Talking

Originally Posted by jiio' post='274784' date='Apr 27 2006, 10:53 AM
Separate side skirt: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=...784&hg=51&fg=20. It's the same part number for a 550.

Since it will most be likely coming out of your own pocket, unless you have a really low deductible, you might want to contact Garry Romani our board sponsor to order the parts. I bet he will give you a better deal than your local dealership. If you look up, you see a sticky about BMW of Newport, RI. Good luck with the repair.
OK so I know I am going to catch alot of flack for this. But your picture looks a lot like my ex-girlfriend. Who is she?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

O.K. - back from the dealership. bodyshop's price on the skirt is around $206USD (i'm in Maryland). total estimate will be approx $543 installed (boy that sucks considering price 'o car already around $75k). manager of dealership looked at issues with the rear section of M Aero Kit (MAK). he said he has seen this problem before and, goofy enough, said that these areas are caused by moisture and in many cases can be cleared up with a hair dryer. apparently the paint is applied at the port and they don't allow enough time for it to cure before applying the clearcoat. there are also stratches under the clearcoat that he believes will be another problem - one that he said they, along with a rep, would take care of. basically, the port installation is hurried and sucks - mine was done in Jersey. for those of you about to take delivery, review the MAK prior to leaving the parking lot. i know ...you want the car as did i. hopefully bmw will take care of the issue - without issue.

regarding the old parts, lost mine in the deal as well and i specifically requested them and was told they keep them. then i asked ..." so then i should only pay for the painting and installation then, correct? i bought the 550 sport with, i'm assuming, standard body trim; i don't see a deduction for not getting it." they laughed and blew me off. shitheads! i don't know where i would have stored it anyway so whatever.

thanks for the replies and help all of you. here's what the car looked like in December with only 8 miles on it. doesn't look like this at the moment. i so suck.
Attached Thumbnails M Aero Kit Parts ?!?!?!-06_550i_fps.jpg  
Old 04-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theappreciator' post='274809' date='Apr 27 2006, 01:24 PM
here's what the car looked like in December with only 8 miles on it. doesn't look like this at the moment. i so suck.
Sweet ride - what dealer are you working with in MD? I am working through BMW of Arlington.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Members

I've been dealing with a dealership in Milford, DE - I.G. Burton. Top notch folks so far and very willing to help. I first dealt with TATE of Annapolis and they didn't seem to anxious to do business; very slow, snobby, pompous, etc. TATE seemed very unfamiliar with the M Aero Kit and other mods such as wheels. i purchased my prior 528 sport from them and didn't have a pleasant experience with that transaction either - should have just stayed away. IG Burton jumped at my business and satisfaction. I also made inquiries with Towson BMW and they seemed a little arrogant as well.

i've dealt with BMW in fairfax/arlington and they seemed drivin towards customer satisfaction ...very helpful ...just didn't purchase a vehicle from them.

good luck.

Quick Reply: M Aero Kit Parts ?!?!?!