E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lumbar support retro-fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if you can retro-fit the lumbar support option?

I am in the UK - anybody done this at any UK dealers?

Thanks

Nigel
Old 02-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Hi All,

This is really interesting topic for me also. I have been looking for second hand E61 525iA for a while now and it looks like Comfort Seats are only way to get Lumbar Support within used car. My first priority is beige leather interior, so there are not many possibilities available in my home market, Finland and neither in Germany. My search will go-on and I'm not in hurry, but it would add many cars to my selection list, if it's possible retro-fit lumbar support.

I have tested one E61 with adjustable Lumbar Support and I found it very useful feature on longer journey.

BTW: I found this forum very useful and informative, when I have narrowed down (and also wide up ) my requirement list. Thank You to all contributors!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Have to answer myself: I checked parts from RealOEM.com/Lumbar support

It seems that Lumbar support can be retro-fitted, BUT parts cost at least 290$/seat and installation above that. Too expensive I think. If some dealer give better cost estimation, please post it here.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by vesil' post='248364' date='Mar 2 2006, 11:52 AM
Have to answer myself: I checked parts from RealOEM.com/Lumbar support

It seems that Lumbar support can be retro-fitted, BUT parts cost at least 290$/seat and installation above that. Too expensive I think. If some dealer give better cost estimation, please post it here.

I haven't got it in my car and really miss it, I may order the bits and have a go, does anyone have the install diagrams????
Old 08-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='250292' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:35 PM
I haven't got it in my car and really miss it, I may order the bits and have a go, does anyone have the install diagrams????

Just thought I would bump this thread in case somone had done this yet??
Old 08-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

Just thought I would report back on this.

I couldn't find any reference to wether the parts for the Lumbar were plug and play, so I thought I would take the back off the seat and have a look as I remembered seeing that the Lumbar pad goes behind the foam in the back rest.
So I took the backrest off and while looking at the foam and the springs I suddenly thought of something, once lumbar is adjusted I generally never touch it again, I mean I usually get it to come out as far as possible and pretty much as high at it will go too. This got me thinking, why don't I just add something behind the foam to do this? OK so I won't be able to adjust it, but who care? The lumbar in my wifes Mini doesn't adjust but that is great.
So I grabbed a couple of T-Shirts out of my shop and folded them over so they were the width of the seat and then folded them over again 3x so it stuck out about right. Then placed them inbetween the spring frame and the foam, sat in the drivers seat and it was much better if a little low, so moved it up an inch and tried again, definitely the right height but maybe it needed to stick out a little more? So I took the it out and folded it over 4x, tried again and it was/is perfect!!

Repeated teh same on the passenger side.

So all in all I now have really comfotable seats and it cost me the price of 2 Fruit Of The Loom T-shirts!!

Going to order the Comfort Headrests now and it will be the perfect seat!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='324004' date='Aug 18 2006, 02:26 PM
Just thought I would report back on this.

I couldn't find any reference to whether the parts for the Lumbar were plug and play, so I thought I would take the back off the seat and have a look as I rememerd seeing that the Lumbar pad goes behind the foam in the back rest.
So I took the backrest off and while looking at the foam and the springs I suddenly thought of something, once lumbar is adjusted I generally never touch it again, I mean I usually get it to come out as far as possible and pretty much as high at it will go too. This got me thinking, why don't I just add something behind the foam to do this? OK so I won't be able to adjust it, but who care? The lumbar in my wifes Mini doesn't adjust but that is great.
So I grabbed a couple of T-Shirts out of my shop and folded them over so they were the width of the seat and then folded them over again 3x so it stuck out about right. Then placed them inbetween the spring frame and the foam, sat in the drivers seat and it was much better if a little low, so moved it up an inch and tried again, definitely the right height but maybe it needed to stick out a little more? So I took the it out and folded it over 4x, tried again and it was/is perfect!!

Repeated teh same on the passenger side.

So all in all I now have really comfotable seats and it cost me the price of 2 Froot Of The Loom T-shirts!!
Going to order the Comfort Headrests now and it will be the perfect seat!
What's the part number for the Comfort Headrests? And price in Grey Leather.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='324044' date='Aug 18 2006, 03:49 PM
What's the part number for the Comfort Headrests? And price in Grey Leather.

I think it is.......

FOR VEHICLES WITH
COMFORT SEAT WITH MEMORY
AND
LEATHER "DAKOTA"/GRAU

52107114423 $246.64

But check with your dealer before ordering.

You also need a new trim for the top of the seat as the prongs that go into the seat on the comfort headrest are wider.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=52&fg=15
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Oh, I think my dealer said approx. ?170 for each seat for all the bits.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='324072' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:09 PM
Oh, I think my dealer said approx. ?170 for each seat for all the bits.
gIzzE, was your dealer willing to undertake the work? Saw another thread on DIY comfort headrests but dont want to risk damaging the leather / seat. ?170 per seat isn't much at all but if they charge ?100's for the transfer I may just buy a couple of those t shirts off you for the lumbar

Quick Reply: Lumbar support retro-fitted?